Terrible DVD+RW burning results!

vbimport

what’s going on?!
I tried two different discs with same result.
And Pioneer DVR-108 burns them just fine!! :frowning:
(see also http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=123234)

Whats going on to me looks like you have either burned or read the disk at an overclocked speed rw disks like memorex have a burn max of 4 and a read max of 4.6 or so…some are much higher in the 12s for read only all rw are burn 4x…

Could you burn the DVD+RW disk with the Pioneer and do another scan with the BenQ or at least post the graph?
What speed is that DVD+RW? Your graph shows avg reading speed nearly 10x, that may be too fast - maybe Nero CDVD Speed overrides a max speed setting or so?

Did you burn the discs on the Pioneer first? I found that I get extremely good results on all 4x dvd+rw’s with my Benq 1620, unless I have burned them before with another writer. I have tested MKM A02, Ricohjpnw11 and Philips 041, but not those Ritek 04’s.

Hi guys,

thanks for the comments and ideas!
Here are my comments:

> Whats going on to me looks like you have either
> burned or read the disk at an overclocked speed

> Your graph shows avg reading speed nearly 10x, that may be too fast…

no; this is a 4x DVD+RW and burned at 4x.
Don’t know why CD/DVD speed actually shows 9.65x …
I also tried to scan it in another drive (Pioneer flashed as Poidata) with very similar results and reading speed was about 3x.
Here is this scan: http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22353&stc=1

> Could you burn the DVD+RW disk with the Pioneer and do another
> scan with the BenQ or at least post the graph?

Here is it: http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22354&stc=1

This is the same disc, just recorded with Pioneer.
One single PIF peak (maybe scratched), else quite good result: average PI=57 and PIF=1.5
BenQ result: average PI over 2350 and PIF over 15.

> Did you burn the discs on the Pioneer first?
> I found that I get extremely good results on
> all 4x dvd+rw’s with my Benq 1620, unless I
> have burned them before with another writer.

yes, I did! Both DVD+RWs I tested are already used discs.
I also thought that this may be a promlem… I will try to burn new disc (must bought one first).
Could complete deletion/formatting help? I’ll try it now.
(too bad that I don’t have new DVD+Rs at the moment…)

Thanka,
Vygi

A full format can help, although I never get the exact same quality as with a new disc. I usually get 95-97% scores in CD speed with new +rw’s.

When I switched from my old Plextor 708a to the NEC 3500, I found that helped if I first performed a complete format on my Plextor 708a and then again on the NEC (took half an hour per disc…)
That method does not work from NEC to Benq, but doing a full format can improve the quality score up to a certain point. And now I only use the Benq for +rw.

Hey - good news! I finally sorted it out (I hope).

Yesterday I flashed my BenQ to B7T9 and tried to record one of these DVD+RW I tested (I used them with Pioneer before).
It was better but still not good (1st image). :confused:
Now I think that it was better just because I recorded it with BenQ for the 2nd time.

Today I take one DVD+RW, made full format with Pioneer, then again full format with BenQ, and recorded it once again.
And promptly got quality score 95!! (2nd image) :iagree: :slight_smile: :smiley: :cool:

Now I am about to full-format the 1st one (RICOHJP W11) and re-burn it again.

CU,
Happy Vygi :wink:

SUCCESS!
This is the same disc as above on the left.
First picture: recorded after one full format, 2nd picture: after 2nd full format.
And I’m sure that after 3rd full format this DVD+RW will be even better.
Now I can finally go to bed - thank you, BenQ! :bow:

I hope this works for me too, I am getting horrendous results with my BenQ drive (same as yours) and with the same RICOH DVD+RW brand, these disks were working perfectly with my last burner (Liteon LDW811s).

What program are you using to format the discs? Just Nero and full erase?

Thanks.

Mine have a quality of 96 to 97. I am on B7P9, however.

That’s surprising. My Lite-Off did a crappy job of my Fuji (ricojpnw11) disks but my new BenQ 1620 does a wonderfull job on them. Also, the Legacy +RW from newegg work very well in both.

I am re-formating these discs and will post after. I am full-reasing them with Nero 6.0.6 or CD-Speed. Quality tests are done with CD-Speed at 4X. I have cross-flashed my OEM to retail B7T9 (hope that this is not the cause).

Look here, what do you think? I am not impressed at all with the writing quality for this media on this 1620 drive, OC-Freak got excelent results in the review with the exactly same media (That’s Write DVD+RW RICOH).

Graphic 1 shows the first horrendous scan after burning it with Nero in the DW1620

Graphic 2 shows the same disk after been full erased in CD-Speed and written using the Create Data Disc option (the option format doesn’t work (?)

Graphic 3 shows the disk when burned and tested with my old Liteon LDW-811s (This is a K-probe test but it shows that the disc gave excelent quality on the Liteon)

I get pretty good results with RicohJPN W11 media (Fuji), see attached. I’m using Nero 6.6.0.1 & crossflashed to B7T9. Similar to you, I had massive problems writing DVD+RW but Verbatim MKM A02 even other people here seem to get good results. So I dumped the Verbatims and tried the Ricohs instead. In fact writing the Verbatims completed but during the verifying process read errors ocurred.

PS: The very first burn with the Verbatims looked good, but after a complete erase cycle the next burn was crap.

1. RicohJPN W11, after multiple full erase cycles
  2. Verbatim MKM A02 - first burn
  3. Verbatim MKM A02 - 2nd burn after full erase :Z

These are my other RICOHJPN W11 DVD+RW scans with different firmware after first burn and after multiple full erase cycles. I guess that these are ok, as I had no read errors yet. :cop:

last two ricohs

Those are VERY GOOD scores (everything over 90). I am stuck with these horrible scores (40-60)!!
Have your discs been used from the beggining in the BenQ or they were used in amnother drive before?

used the media only in the benq

it realy a pain in the a** if the RWs other people are getting good results with don’t work. good lock from here!

Can it be possible that its a crossflash issue? Mine is also an OEM flashed into BenQ FW.

Mine, with the 96 and 97 scores were used in an NEC 3500 as well.

Also, My BenQ was an IO Magic that I cross Flashed.