Terrible Burns with 3500a 2.18

wow, that’s weird, maybe they made a mistake printing out the label.
i checked and windows ME did come out in 2001.
maybe my pc is special.
…sorry for the confusion and argument, guess i can’t trust the manufacture date labels anymore? :o

a PCI IDE Controller ? Is it really necesary? I think my mobo supports those speeds anyways. How much are they?
i use nero to burn my dvds

sorry couldnt edit last post: Does DVD Burning REQUIRE certain computer specs?
i understand the HDD requirements… but as far as CPU, RAM, etc?

alright ran a complete de-frag, now have 38% free space with 0% fragmentation. Ran Hd tune again and got mixed results.
min: 8.5
max: 25
but when it drops to 8.5, it just spikes down and comes right back up.
am i ready to burn? or is my only alternative to get a new HDD?

a dual p111 mainboard cant be the problem its has a min of ultradma2 ant thats more then enough for 16xdvd write a plain 40 wires cable is ok, and make sure the system is not to much defragged and dont hook the drive on the same ide port on wich a hd is hooked, make sure you have a min of 512 ram and take a look at you recources that they dont take a lot of payload

It’s okay to have a little spike, especially in the region containing data. Look at the trace of my HD throughput speed. There are three primary partitions and three extended logical partitions. I have data up to about 20 GB. Note the spikes with 24.4 MB/sec being the minimum value. The throughput graph is much smoother after 20 GB due to the unused space in the partition. And this is where I will put my transcoded DVD files.

What you want to see is a relatively smooth line that gently slope downward toward the end of the hard drive. My average speed is around 30 MB/sec almost to the 50 GB mark.

I’m not familiar with your system, so I have no idea if your HD transfer speed is normal. However, with a PCI controller card ($10 to $20), you should be able to extract all the capabilities of a modern 7200 rpm HD.

If your MB supports ATA 100, and if you have a 7200 rpm HD, then you should average speed should be higher than 30 MB/sec.

I’m running a 600 MHz PIII with 384 MB of RAM. However, windows will only use up to 190 MB when backing up a DVD.

38% free space is insignificant. You need about 12 GB of free space to comfortably work with most free DVD ripping/transcoding software.

I take it that your average speed is still around 17 MB/sec?

I would download CloneDVD and AnyDVD from slysoft.com and see if you can make a good backup without the 3 GB dip. If this doesn’t help, then you should change media and possibly switch to a PCI IDE controller.

make a test burn with nero a check what the min burning speed is, because i am running raid 4 stripe and get min 90Mb/sec min dvd write speed according nero 71x dvd speed, you should get arround 20Mb/sec min take a test

Jeegro - before worrying about all of this, go buy some 8x Fuji, Maxell, etc media at a store? (Fuji, and Maxell, Made in Japan 8x, would be Taiyo Yuden’s, or MXL Media Coded… best discs to test it on, very high quality).

No point in worrying about making changes to your hardware, until you know if it’s your media or not. :slight_smile: Silly going through all of this stuff, first, before testing another type of media at 8x.

Looks like I got a good Burn!
I only burned it at 4x, but it still turned out nice (i think)
I used cd/dvd speed, and got a solid inclining graph (graph is only at 2x-5x, but the dvd reader i used was really bad)
can i do any other tests? i dont have a liteon burner, so i cant do kprobe.
Seems like my best option is to just upgrade my HDD to solve the speed errors (plus a PCI IDE Controller if necessary.
If anyone can find any info on the IDE controller on my mobo, it is an ASUS CUR-DLS Dual socket 370 pIII board.

sorry i had trouble uploading image to photobucket… and the manage attachment feature isnt working. heres an overview:
average: 4.41x
start: 2.49x
end: 5.85x
type: CAV
Seek times

random: 104ms
1/3: 111ms
full: 197ms
burst rate: 24mb/sec

Jeegro, please try a different type of media before making changes to your system. LoL. Quite a few people with NEC 3500AG’s are having problems with Prodisc media. I know from experience that your system is working well enough to burn @8x with no problems at all. :slight_smile: I dont really believe that it’s a speed issue of your hard drive. Remember - 8x is around 11MBish a second. But burning at 2x, you still replicated the error, and then got a successful burn at 4x. This definately sounds like a bad batch of media.

Heh… Currently Office Depot has Maxell +R DVD 8x for $4.99 a pop (for 15 blanks). Have -R for that price too, but I highly recomend trying +R, as you’re guaranteed either Maxell 002, or Yuden T02 media… (The -R’s can be RG03 media, which has had some complaints). But even with RG03, you should still be getting clean burns, just perhaps a spike in PI’s/PIF’s, which you cant test anyways. Just make SURE you get MADE IN JAPAN!

Trust me - this sounds VERY much like a media issue, and has nothing to do with your hardware.

thanks Fandim, I ordered a free sample of TY from Rima.com, and then if they work nicely i will buy a 50-pack from them. From reading, it seems the TY is the best for NEC burners. BTW, here is the image, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/jeegro123/untitled.bmp

Jeegro, check this out. :slight_smile:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1185916#1185916

That’s my post on videohelp with links to all of my scans (I do have a liteon), most of those are burned with a NEC3500AG. Prodisc F01 scans came back nicely - however - I did get a bad batch the first two times I used the media, that had scans very similar to what you’re talking about.

Use the NEC and Nero Speed Test to read the disc. If you’ve removed riplock, then you should see a smooth rising line from start to finish.

Almost any PCI IDE controller will work. Best Buy has a sale on 50 pack of Fuji 8x DVD+R discs. These are Taiyo Yudens (look for made in Japan on the box). DO NOT purchase made in Taiwan. If you can’t find MIJ at BB, then go with RIMA.

It dosnt include any of the R03 batches I got… Didnt used to save my scans, heh.

I was burning 75% coasters (wouldnt verify, or run through CD-DVD Speed / DVDInfo), with Prodisc R03’s.

Heh.

alright, new media it is :slight_smile:

I dont understand why people are so wrapped up in getting 16x burns… heck im happy with 4x. Id rather spend time than quality on a burn

Hey jeegro…

I have 2 of the NEC 3500’s and I’ve found that TDK. FUJI if made in Japan will give you excellent burns. I have found that the Japan TDK’s are coming in 2 different mid’s. One is RICOHJPNR02 and the other is YUDEN000T02 which is the same as the FUJI’s made in Japan. I’ve burnt approx 300 of these and not had one coaster. Also the only made in Taiwan media that I will buy is Verbatim, Sony D11, and Ritek R03. These are all 8X+R media and all but the Ritek, Sony and Verbatim I’m able to get great 16X burns with. The last 3 are good for 12X which ya can’t bitch about cuz it’s only approx 1 minute more time to burn. Now this is done with Dee and Liggy.s F/W which now I’m mainly using the LD_V2_Beta4. They have worked in all 4 of the stand alone DVD players I have and if I come accross one that I have trbl with, you have the option of changing the book type to DVD-Rom which should just about cover all players out there. If you haven’t already, you can see a ton of sample burns in Dee and Liggy’s thread in the NEC forum. Good luck and Happy Burning.

Mark

Ricoh is made in Taiwan, sir. :slight_smile: Not Japan. Heh heh. Sorry to burst yer bubble about taiwan media. :wink: Also, the sony’s I thought were made in Japan? Heh.

12x burns for me only take about 6min50sec, btw. 8x burns are about 8-9 minutes, 16x burns are about 6min15sec or so.

so far i have burned 2 isos, and 3 dvd-video … not one coaster on the prodisc( all 4x). I am probably still planning on buying the TY
will try 8x + tommorrow.

Jeegro…can your NEC 3500AG run them through with CD Speed? Or are you still using a different reader?

Hey Fandim. I’m sorry to re-burst your bubble but below you’ll see DVD infopro of TDK 8X+R out of a 50 tub cake box. Notice the JPN after RICOH & before the R02? Hmmm. I wonder if the JPN might stand for Japan. Also next to the UPC on the TDK pkging it states MADE IN JAPAN!! Can’t say who’s pulling whose chain here. All I can do is read the info on the pkg and DVD infopro and take it from there. Same goes for the Sony 8X+R’s I have. They read Sony D11 and again next to the Pkg. UPC it states made in Taiwan. So I suppose especially these days that the MFG. doesn’t know where their product is made or purposely miss leads the consumer by putting false locations as to where the product is made, BUT I DON’T THINK SO!!! I think your Heh Heh’s just got turned into Ha Ha’s. But what the hell do I know, I just buy the stuff.

Mark

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR02
Media Product Revision Number 03h
Format Capacity Blank Disc
Free Blocks 405405696
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 6.0x 8310KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code                           

00000000 08 02 00 00 A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F …&.?
00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E 52 …RICOHJPNR
00000020 30 32 03 38 23 54 37 18 00 3E 6E 00 70 62 15 15 02.8#T7…>n.pb…
00000030 0B 0B 08 08 01 19 1B 0B 0B 0E 0F 01 00 00 00 00 …