Terrible Burns with 3500a 2.18

vbimport

Every burn i make is awful. I test it with cd-dvd speed, and my burns look great until the 3.0 mark forward where they just plummet.
i have latest firmware installed.
I’m guessing it must be my media, but im not sure.
I am using prodisc +r R03 8x inkjet printables from ebay
just bought the burner today

from EBAY???

try buying from supermediastore.com
i got 200 r03’s for $74 from supermediastore, a-grade prodisc media.
the media you have could be fake…
also, what speed do you burn them at?
although rated at 12x in 2.18, some people have better luck with bad batches of r03 at 8x.
good luck

edit: and, what is your hardware config:make sure dma is enabled on all ide channels (hard drives and burners), and you might need to upgrade to 80-conductor ide cables if your computer is older.

i burnt them at 8x
dma is on
i am using a dual p3 cpu mobo.
in fact my ide cable is from a computer back in 1999, could that actually be the problem?

is there any other ways to test my burns, because when i test with cd-dvd speed, it dropps fast at the end (as i said ealier) but then an error comes up.
Error- UNRECOVERED READ ERROR (031100)

i burnt 2 movies with the burner, and they seemed to work fine on my dvd player… but the test came back so poor.
i also burnt a game, and the install process failed at 85%

You should be okay if you have 80 wire IDE ribbon. Search Google for HD Tune. Run this program to test the speed of your hard drive. You’re looking for at least 15 MB/sec.

Go to Device Manager and remove the primary and secondary IDE channel. Reboot and windows will reload the drivers. Are they all running in DMA mode?

Go to rima.com and click on the contact link. Send them an email requesting two free samples of media #1733. These are Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R that will burn at 16x.

Finally, shut down all non-essential applications running in the background when you rip/burn the disc.

yes, the cable could be the problem, becuase nearly all computers back then came with 40 conductor cables, which limit the speed of your hard drives to deliver data to the drive. The drives really don’t require more than dma 2, but its nice to have that leeway for data to travel to and from the drives.

try upgrading to an 80 conductor cable

HD Tune:
min: 5.4 mb /sec
max: 22.6 mb/sec
average: 17.1
access time: 19.2 ms
burst rate 23.2 MB/sec
I sent rima an email.
i also am in process of putting HD and drive on same channel as i do have one cable that is brand new.
will give the device manager a shot also.
thanks!

If his PC is from 1999 I doubt it supports higher than UDMA2, so changing from 40-wire to 80-wire cables isn’t going to increase the transfer rate…

Looks like you may have a bottleneck at the hard drive. 5.4 MB/sec is really slow and will only support a burn speed of 2.4x. Your may ask the NEC’s buffer overrun protection to work overtime to keep up with the burn speed. Don’t waste anymore DVDs until you get the average speed up to 25 MB/sec and the min speed above 10 MB/sec. Stick with 2.4x and 4x write speed.

Defrag all partitions and reload both IDE channels. Reboot and check for proper detection in windows AND BIOS (DMA mode set to AUTO).

I have a 600 MHz PIII built in 2000. Min transfer speed is 28 MB/sec. It doesn’t hurt if you try the 80 wire IDE cable. Perhaps there is a problem with the old IDE cable. DO NOT put the HD and DVD burner on the same IDE cable. HD should be MASTER on PRIMARY IDE channel. DVD burner should be MASTER on SECONDARY IDE channel.

my pc is from 99’, and it came with 40 conductor cables which limited it to udma mode 2, but now it runs in udma mode 5 thanks to the 80 conductor cables…

Your old 1999 MB DOES NOT support DMA mode 5 because DMA mode 5 was not invented at that time. Therefore, the change to the 80 wire cable should not do anything UNLESS you connect it to a PCI ATA 100/133 controller card.

This would be a work around solution for those with a slow motherboard.

My 600 MHz PIII is running at DMA mode 4 (66 MB/sec limit).

ok i will work on the defrag, its prob becuz i got only 700 mb free space, and god knows how much fragmentation lol
i did order a new HDD that i will be putting into an external USB enclosure, would that work ok burning via usb?

ok, let’s put it this way… my pc was manufactured in november 1999
it’s an hp pavilion 9795c and you can check the specs for yourself
don’t think windows device manager lies about dma modes…

What for new hard drive did you buy and what OS are you running? If you’re running or able to run Windows XP I’d personally suggest putting the new hard drive in the computer, reloading Windows (or ghosting) to the new drive. Anything involving DVD-Burning you want the most speed possible. The new hard drive is a great start but really you want that in the computer to replace the other one. Put the other drive down as slave.

On that computer burning via USB would probably not work well. If it was made in 1999 then most likely it’s only USB 1.1 which will not be fast enough for DVD-Burners to work properly.

Do they happen to look like this? If so, I’ve found Prodisc not to be a very good media for the 3500. I won’t buy any more. Liggy And Dee’s ND-3500 firmwares V2 Beta 4 Check here. I just posted it about an hour ago. It’s the 3rd post down from the top.

Mark

no mine looks like a steady rise, then at the end drops off

ok i tried burning at 2.4x, and that produced same results
i got xp, the drive i ordered is a 7200rpm 200GB drive. I probably should use that drive in my comp, but i need it to be portable :slight_smile:
i already have 4 HDDs that i swap in and out, my primary being a 40gb not sure the rpm.

The 9795C comes with a 1.4 GHz P4 and Windows ME.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph06248

P4s didn’t exist in 1999! My 8670C was built in March 2000 with a 600MHz PIII and Windows 98SE. Oh yes, Windows ME didn’t appear until 2001.

It takes AT LEAST 5 to 8 GB of free space on your hard drive to backup a DVD title. The data must be ripped to the hard drive, then transcoded to remove unwanted entries. The transcoding software will also compress to one DVD5 if necessary. 700 MB of free space isn’t going to do the job.

actually i already have the dvd created , i just need to burn it. Would i need all that free space?

Windows needs about 10% free space to work properly. There may be a transcoding issue with insufficient free space. CloneDVD and AnyDVD can rip and transcode on-the-fly. This combo uses the least amount of free hard drive space (8GB max). In general, you need about 12GB of free space when backing up movies.

You can swap out HDs, but don’t expect consistent burns until you get the minimum HD transfer speed above 10 MB/sec. The use of a PCI IDE 100/133 controller and a 7200 rpm HD should fix this problem. Next step is to rerip/reauthor the DVD and burn with the Taiyo Yuden media.

Do not reuse the data on the hard drive.