Terminology confusion

Hello All,

I would like to buy TY DVD+R media for the first time and whole terminology is confusing me at supermediastore.com

They have following variants-

1. While Inkjet Hub Printable 16X
  2. Silver Thermal Lacquer, Valueline
  3. Premium Silver Thermal Lacquer
  4. White Thermal Hub printable, Everest Certified
  5. Water Shield White Inkjet hub printable.

I am guessing first two as

1. Normal white top of the disk where you could print DVD label
  2. Classy/regular silver top of the DVD

Can anybody please help me out understanding the rest 3.

Any recommendation on which one I should go for is most welcome. All I care is, they burn well with almost no coasters on my Pioneer 115DBK and last for at least 5-6 years.

Thank you in advance.

Looks like I am not the only one who is confused with this terminology, otherwise there would have been at least a couple of replies on this expert forum.

[QUOTE=Indijay;2009260]Hello All,

I would like to buy TY DVD+R media for the first time and whole terminology is confusing me at supermediastore.com

They have following variants-

1. While Inkjet Hub Printable 16X
  2. Silver Thermal Lacquer, Valueline
  3. Premium Silver Thermal Lacquer
  5. Water Shield White Inkjet hub printable.

I am guessing first two as

1. Normal white top of the disk where you could print DVD label
  2. Classy/regular silver top of the DVD

Can anybody please help me out understanding the rest 3.

Any recommendation on which one I should go for is most welcome. All I care is, they burn well with almost no coasters on my Pioneer 115DBK and last for at least 5-6 years.

Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

1. Fully printable, right to the middle of the disc
  2. Shiny Silver top sufrace, looks nice but smudges easily with fingerprints
  3. Same as above but is premium TY, they burn better than Valueline discs
  4. Never used these ones, but they probably aren’t normal printables
  5. Water shield is immune to water once you burn it, unlike other printables

Go for whatever is cheapest but not valueline. Valueline are discs rejected by TY quality control and may not burn as well. TY discs should last a fair while, longer than 6 years if stored correctly.

[QUOTE=Indijay;2009260]3. Premium Silver Thermal Lacquer
[/QUOTE]

You can print them (and generally almost all media with shiny silver top surface) with special (not inkjet!) thermal printer, such like these

Thank you mates.
One final question, would you consider media that is neither labeled as Valueline nor Premium.
supermediastore.com names few as Valueline and few as Premium but there is a decent stock that is labeled neither, so is the case with rima.com (I don’t know if any other store that I can buy TY from at a reasonable price)

Rima has an excellent reputation for selling high quality Taiyo Yuden media. They don’t label their stock as premium, but I believe it is.

If I were ordering from them, I’d get the 8x +R variety, either lacquer top or white inkjet, depending on what you need.