TerminalVeloCD presents: The Pioneer DVR-115D Review

G’day all,

It is a pleasure for me to present you all with my Pioneer DVR-115D review - the first review I have ever conducted.

www.speedlabs.org

Comments are appreciated.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Hi :slight_smile:
I found it very good.
Has subjective aspect to the overall feel.
My main problem is one of format. Can be a pain in the download area. Also not as easily manoeuvrable as most reviews.
I would like to add that it was refreshing considering one persons earlier posts hailing this drive (SATA version) as the drive to see off the Samsung SH-S203B.
It is not as fast allround.
Plus several drawbacks, like bitsetting, which you mention.
Not as good at reading audio, I notice here you don’t mention HTOA at all.
This drive as a fast burner with good to excellent burns for me is a worthy one.
Its compromise of speed/quality is one of the best.
As a reader there are better, hence the setups with multiple DVDRW’s.
The bitsetting while a problem is likely to be remedied soon.
Either crossflashing or possibly ala42’s MCSE.
I did feel that on the burning side you were either unfortunate with your drive or media. Possibly even both.
This drive is significantly better than the 112/212.
How significant in terms of upgrading if you have a 112.
Until f/w is released then probably … not.
Unless Father Christmas feels like treating you.

In the review, I tried to be as unbiased as I possibly could. I think being unbiased goes hand-in-hand with owning as many drives as I have. But yet with this sort of experience, I can quite clearly see that some manufacturers put more effort into their products than others. Please let me know if there are areas which I could improve upon.

My main problem is one of format. Can be a pain in the download area. Also not as easily manoeuvrable as most reviews.

What I might do for my next review is to split the whole document up so that each section takes up its own PDF file. This will mean that downloads will be smaller and you will only need to download the section(s) that you’re interested in.

I would like to add that it was refreshing considering one persons earlier posts hailing this drive (SATA version) as the drive to see off the Samsung SH-S203B.

Personally, I don’t think the SH-203B was really all that good (I have two of them). While it performs very nicely with high quality media, it’s OPC simply can’t handle variable quality media, rather like every other Mediatek-based drive I have come across over the years.

Not as good at reading audio, I notice here you don’t mention HTOA at all.

Like I mentioned in the Introduction, the main emphasis of the review was to analyse burn quality in detail. Testing of read performance was of secondary importance.

I did feel that on the burning side you were either unfortunate with your drive or media. Possibly even both.

I really do think that many of the problems I came across were drive-related (or more specifically firmware-related). Afterall, the firmware on the drive (1.06) is a very early revision and I’m sure the engineers at Pioneer will make some major improvements in the not-too-distant future. To verify that this is in fact true, I wrote some of the problematic media on my DVR-112D. In almost all cases, the R12 wrote the offending media with very good quality compared to the R15.

This drive is significantly better than the 112/212.
How significant in terms of upgrading if you have a 112.
Until f/w is released then probably … not.
I would say, for the average user, it is not worth the upgrade. All you’re getting is 20X DVD-R/+R. Otherwise, there is NOTHING new.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Is the DVR-115D more quiet than the LiteOn DH-20A4P?

Yes. The DVR-115D also produces less vibrations than my LH-18A1P@DH-20A4P (the worst problem with LiteON drives).

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD
P.S. Thanks to everyone who has provided me with valuable comments so far.

Thank you terminalvelocd

Thanks for the review, [B]terminalvelocd[/B]; I enjoyed it. :clap:

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;1949398]Yes. The DVR-115D also produces less vibrations than my LH-18A1P@DH-20A4P (the worst problem with LiteON drives).

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD
P.S. Thanks to everyone who has provided me with valuable comments so far.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info and thanks for such an in-depth review of the DVR-115D :wink:

Simply an unbelievable piece of work, TerminalVeloCD.

Also a complete pain that Japan couldn’t release me the newer firmware which is already out there to see if some of the critical issues have been resolved.

Top Great Work [B]TerminalVeloCD[/B] :flower:

Did You By Chance Post The Wrong Picture Regarding The Pio DVR-115D & DVDinfoPro?

DVDinfoPro Is Showing A BenQ 1640. :confused:

[quote=Pulsee;1949599]Did You By Chance Post The Wrong Picture Regarding The Pio DVR-115D & DVDinfoPro?

DVDinfoPro Is Showing A BenQ 1640. :confused:[/quote]

Umm… Oops! :eek:

I’m human too, you know. I’ll get that fixed for you as soon as I can get that DVR-115D back in my system.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Great Job!
One thing, 115/215 drive generation is R12.5 printed on mainboard ?

[quote=k2g;1949666]Great Job!
One thing, 115/215 drive generation is R12.5 printed on mainboard ?[/quote]

I don’t know as I haven’t opened any of my drives.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Excellent work TerminalVeloCD :clap:

One thing I lov about this burner : Awesome Jitter with any burn :bow:

Yeah, that’s where the NEC chipsets come into their own.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Excellent job! :clap: :bow:

Forum Member terminalvelocd did an excellent job in the Pioneer DVR-115D Review and should be commended for his hard work.

In some postings concerning the Pioneer DVR-115D there have been reference of a “PURE READ” and a “POWER READ” function. Perhaps in reviewing the 228 pages of the PDF document I over looked noticing mention of “PURE READ” and POWER READ” functions. Was this “PURE READ” and “POWER READ” function tested and if so how did it perform?

Regards,
bjkg

The PureRead and PowerRead features are only available on the DVR-A15J and DVR-S15J.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Brief description of PowerRead and PureRead:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1950998-post155.html

Big thank to terminalvelocd for the review :clap:

Thanks for an excellent review.Since the DVR 115 is not a very good reader. In your opinion, what is the best reader as of now?