Temps of SSDs

Here are my temps just for you ( Auzzie Kid ) . One Samsung 840 and 1 Crucial in this rig I am on now. After you see this I will delete this thread.

But Alan do both your SSDs always show the same temperature readings?

[QUOTE=Auzzie Kid;2722744]But Alan do both your SSDs always show the same temperature readings?[/QUOTE]

Yes, if they do not something is wrong. Sometimes I have them situated away from the fans and 1 is closer, they may differentiate 1 degree or so.

I am going downstairs to eat dinner and I will fire up my test bed and you might see a difference, that has a Samsung 1TB EVO in it and another SSD, cant remember right now. I’ll post it in a bit.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2722745]Yes, if they do not something is wrong. Sometimes I have them situated away from the fans and 1 is closer, they may differentiate 1 degree or so.[/QUOTE]Sorry but I think you have misunderstood me, but that’s because I was not clear. I will clarify. What I meant to say was do both of your SSDs always show 28 degrees Celcius regardless of room temperature?

Alan,

I honestly think that it is not normal for my SSD to be always on 30 degrees Celsius.

No of course not, if the Ambient temp in the room is a bit higher the temps will be higher but just a bit. Here is my rig in my testing lab.

Alan,

So I was right. It is not normal for my SSD to always show the same temperature regardless of room temperature. I don’t know whether I should send it back or keep it.

Yes the Crucial M4 SSDs don’t come with a temperature sensor. I know because I also have one.

A kingston V something SSD that I have on my laptop is always at 40C :slight_smile: the drive works just fine. Ambient temperature is close to 25C in my room.

@Auzzie Kid some older drives that didnt have a temp sensor they had a fixed temp, I think that this also apply to my old OCZ Vertex 2 SSD. I guess that if you have it installed on a PC and there is a fan bowing fresh air the temperatures should be at least acceptable inside your SSD.

Thanks for the reply Vroom. Don’t get me wrong, I mean the SSD itself works fine. It’s just that the temperature reading always remains at 30 degrees Celsius. I don’t know, but for me this is a little strange. However to be fair, when I put my hand on the SSD itself, it is considerably warmer than my Kingston SSD. Maybe that’s because it is an Enterprise SSD, but I obviously could be wrong.

Most SSDs don’t have a temp sensor, and manufacturers will sometimes set a value in the firmware so SMART doesn’t get in a tizzy over it. Some SSDs measure ‘air flow’ temp which is not the same as the temps on the SSD controller or NAND.

Most SSDs also have a safe operation temp of between 0c and 70c, so nothing to worry about. Just ignore what these utilities are showing. :wink:

I have a first generation OCZ that had the hardwired temp set to 128 degrees F. They issued a firmware upgrade that set the imaginary temp lower…

In my above posts and screenshot the [B]Crucial M500[/B] does have a temp sensor and the [B]Crucial M4[/B] does not, so that is the difference. I am going to find about the [B]M550[/B] real soon.:wink:

So Alan, you have written about 1.39 TB on your Samsung 1 TB EVO SSD and it is still at 100% health? That’s interesting. I wonder how Samsung EVO SSDs perform under heavy endurance. Could you please tell me how many gigabytes have you written on your Samsung 840 Pro SSD?

Lets put it this way, I am 71 years old and if I live to be 85 I think the SSD will running just fine, all that crap about TLC and MLC, is just numbers, for the average guy like me, it will last forever ( in my case)LOL. Just my personal opinion, of course, and I know someone who is undergoing a test of writing on a TLC Samsung and he is up to 95 Tbs and still going strong so there you have it. My 840 Pro has about 7 TBs written and most of that is Benchmarking.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2722906]Lets put it this way, I am 71 years old and if I live to be 85 I think the SSD will running just fine, all that crap about TLC and MLC, is just numbers, for the average guy like me, it will last forever ( in my case)LOL. Just my personal opinion, of course, and I know someone who is undergoing a test of writing on a TLC Samsung and he is up to 95 Tbs and still going strong so there you have it. My 840 Pro has about 7 TBs written and most of that is Benchmarking.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Alan, most people for some reason give to much attention to numbers, that some times wont tell the full story.
For example my old OCZ Vertex 2 has more than 4 or 5GB of writes and the health is still 97% (it dropped to 97% in the very first days), even now the drive is very fast and I did almost zero benchmarking on it.

For me it’s best to use your drive and get the maximum out of it, also not to worry to much about read/write because by the time that the warranty expires, if you want you could probably get a new one and it will be bigger and cost less than the one you got two or three years ago.

Okay I admit that I’m being a little too fussy. But since I had purchased an enterprise grade SSD, I expected the temperature sensor that was included in the SSD to at least work properly and not give false readings. Anyway thanks for the reply Alan.

[QUOTE=Auzzie Kid;2722982]Okay I admit that I’m being a little too fussy. But since I had purchased an enterprise grade SSD, I expected the temperature sensor that was included in the SSD to at least work properly and not give false readings. Anyway thanks for the reply Alan.[/QUOTE]
Anytime my friend and in case you didn’t know the other person ([B]vroom[/B]) in this thread is an expert reviewer and knows way more than I do. :wink:

For whatever it’s worth my Kingston 120gb SSD system drive
is always 2-3 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature
of the room…

My SSD is mounted on a Silverstone USB front panel in one of the two
3.5 front accessible drive bays in my case.

I used to have the SSD mounted on a 3.5" to 2.5" drive bay adapter
with a 50mm fan on it (Made by Rosewill) but after some testing I determined that the fan blowing on the drive made no difference
at all… or at least no difference that was worth worrying about…

and I really needed front panel USB 3.0 jacks, so…