Temporary storage, format war

vbimport

What is the best for temporary rewritable storage of temporary unfinished files other than the hard drive? I can use flash (drive, SDHC etc…), DVDRW and DVD-RAM.

Which one is the most reliable?

Rewritable media are not that reliable actually. RAM discs are the most reliable optical solution, but they are slower than write once media and not all drives supports them.

Flash memories (USB pendrive, SDHC etc) are certainly better (and they also have a higher capacity at a reasonable price nowadays). Too bad, these are too costly to effectively replace optical media, but I’d like to store all my movie collection in SDHC cards: a lot of space saved and longer duration in time :bigsmile:

However, HDDs are currently the best solution in my opinion :slight_smile:

I think that the best solution is related to the size of data you want to temporarily store.: for large data (more than 10 GB) HDDs are the best solution. For under 10 GB, flash memories are the best solution :slight_smile:

For temporary storage, I’d go with a usb flash drive. Very quick and convenient. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2584942]
Flash memories (USB pendrive, SDHC etc) are certainly better (and they also have a higher capacity at a reasonable price nowadays). Too bad, these are too costly to effectively replace optical media, but I’d like to store all my movie collection in SDHC cards: a lot of space saved and longer duration in time :bigsmile:
[/quote] Really? I thought that SD cards are worse in terms of reliability compared to DVDs? Crucial told me that their products are not suited for long term archival. Flash memory only guarantees a data retention duration of 10 years. How long do burnt DVDs get?

I think that the best solution is related to the size of data you want to temporarily store.: for large data (more than 10 GB) HDDs are the best solution. For under 10 GB, flash memories are the best solution
Definitely less than 10GB. I’ll use flash memory then.

Durability in time of flash memories is certainly limited, but I have no idea if they can last lesser than a DVD.

For what I know (but I can be wrong :o) flash memories are made by microscopic interrupters, and every time you write/erase something these interrupters are moving from 1/0 positions. These interrupters have a limited numbers of 1/0 switches, before they broke (think them like a piece of metallic wire: you can bend it a limited number of times but eventually it is broken in pieces).

If I am correct, then, if you store data without too much write/erase, a flash memory can last a lot of time.

I have no idea if reading only (i.e. without writing) from a flash card can cause tearing of interrupters, so theoretically storing a movie on a flash card should allow a longer duration in time compared to a DVD.

However, for lesser than 10 GB, a flash drive is the best option in my opinion :slight_smile:

And is also cheap enough to have more than one as backup for safety :slight_smile:

Crucial tech support says that their flash memory is guaranteed to store data for up to 10 years.

Are usb keys better than SDHC in terms of data retention reliability? Because their cells are bigger?

I don’t know :o

Here’s a consideration re ‘Flash’ memory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hardening. Optical media would seem less susceptible.

but those are extreme scenarios. What consumer electronic is designed to withstand nuclear wars?

If stored carefully best bang for the buck is a HDD.

In terms of $/Gb nothing else comes close.
certainly HDD’s, even older slower ones are much faster than optical media

I have older HDDs that still have perfectly readable files
even after being in storage since the early 1990

HDDs can fail mechanically, but are unlikely to do so when sitting in a padded case in a file cabinet.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2587092]If stored carefully best bang for the buck is a HDD.

In terms of $/Gb nothing else comes close.[/quote] Correct. Around € 80 for 2 Terabye here. That’s about 4 cents per gigabyte.

HDDs can fail mechanically, but are unlikely to do so when sitting in a padded case in a file cabinet
In the end doesn’t really mattter since the components still move continously.

For all else i would use a Micro SDHC card with low class (= very slow writing speed). Small and high capacity, makes them perfect for transportation. These are also very cheap. Around €2 to €4 per gigabyte. If you want quick writing speeds you better pay up for higher classes.

Exactly how does anything inside a hard drive move when the drive is physically disconnected from any source of power or data and placed in a padded case in a file cabinet?

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2587357]Exactly how does anything inside a hard drive move when the drive is physically disconnected from any source of power or data and placed in a padded case in a file cabinet?[/QUOTE]
Ah like that. No , of course no movement when the power is off. :slight_smile: