Television as monitor for PC?

vbimport

Hi :slight_smile:

I need to buy a new monitor, so I went to a store to browse the shelves.

There I found a 22" LCD television (widescreen with 1690x1050 resolution) that can be connected to a PC (it already has all needed connectors for this).

Because of soon or later I should buy also a television, I wonder it is a good idea to buy that television and use it as monitor for the PC.

Is it a bad idea to use a television as monitor? What are advantages/disadvantages of this?

There are tons of black boxes for connecting cable/TV service to monitors. If you have a really good monitor it will work really well as a TV.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?page=2&keywords=tv%20to%20monitor&sort=Weight%20desc

This is one of many devices.

:eek: Very interesting

Thanks for suggestion :bigsmile:

Are you really sure that 1690x1050 is the panel resolution?
You will surely get a not as good panel compared if you go for a S-PVA or S-IPS panel monitor.
//Danne

For me a Computer LCD or monitor is higher quality then television monitor in playback and specs.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2180520]Are you really sure that 1690x1050 is the panel resolution?
You will surely get a not as good panel compared if you go for a S-PVA or S-IPS panel monitor.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

oooooops :o:o:o

Sorry, it was a dumb typo error :o

The resolution is 1680 x 1050

Sorry :flower:

The models I found in that store should be these (I’m not fully sure, I must go there again to check exactly the model), but it seems interesting.

24" version

22" version

They are decent mid-end monitors
//Danne

Thanks DiiZzY :bigsmile:

30-inch panels have become so cheap this year and they’ll get even cheaper in 2009. Current volume price seems to start around US$200 per unit. I can buy one locally for about US$300 including everything needed (like power adapter, case, stand, etc.) Separate or built-in HD tuner costs less than US$100.

Too bad here prices are higher :frowning:

I’d like to have a 30" monitor indeed :iagree:

[QUOTE=geno888;2181697]
24" version

22" version[/QUOTE]

After reading some user reviews at newegg, I’m not more sure that these models are really a good choice. Many users complained about a very narrow vision angle, and other about the rather bad image quality.

Another rather annoying feature is the slowness of these screens after power up, so you must wait for many seconds before the image becomes available :doh:

That’s sad because these Samsung have a very nice assortment of connections :frowning:

Do someone have some suggestions for a 24" or 26" LCD television that can be used as monitor? It will be useful for me to have at least three different connections for computers (like the Samsung, that is provided with a VGA, a DVI and two HDMI ports, other than the SCART).

[QUOTE=geno888;2186808]Do someone have some suggestions for a 24" or 26" LCD television that can be used as monitor? It will be useful for me to have at least three different connections for computers (like the Samsung, that is provided with a VGA, a DVI and two HDMI ports, other than the SCART).[/QUOTE]

Bump :sad:

You’ll never find a “good” monitor with video inputs like SCART etc
HP LP2475w should be pretty good with a H-IPS panel :slight_smile:
//Danne

Actually I’m not really interested in SCART, but I need at least three different video input (VGA + DVI + HDMI), and of course the TV receiver.

Get a TV-card?
You’re aiming for a product group that’s very slim/non existent to begin with and not aimed for anything more than average joe.
//Danne

The main reason why I’m searching for a television is that it allow me to watch movie also without the computer. The other reason is that I can use a single monitor with both my computer (and a third one that I’m trying to build), because there is not enough space in my desk for three monitors.

A TV card must use the computer to work. I usually watch television rather rarely, for the most only when I can’t use the computer because of storming weather (a lightning can fry the computer :doh:).

…and lightning can fry your monitor, get an UPS?
//Danne

oops… I didn’t think to this :o

Is an UPS really an effective protection against lightnings?

Indeed…
"Protects connected loads from surges, spikes, lightning, and other power disturbances."
http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=251&tab=features#anchor1
//Danne