Teenagers theory of multi pixelled disks is storage breakthrough

I just posted the article Teenagers theory of multi pixelled disks is storage breakthrough.

At this year’s Expo for Young Scientists, held at the University of Pretoria Sports Complex. Two teenagers from South Africa won with the concept of using color to increase the…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7180-Teenagers-theory-of-multi-pixelled-disks-is-storage-breakthrough.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7180-Teenagers-theory-of-multi-pixelled-disks-is-storage-breakthrough.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

"… to read the three primary colours (red, blue and green) and write all … " The Third primary colour is yellow, not green.

primary colors http://members.aol.com/sabbeth/Coloroct.html :d

3 Primary colours are different in optical aspect and in drawing/painting aspect

Wow that’s nearly 2 million mp3 albums on one disc - that’ll be a long burnin’ session, have Liteon started building the writer yet?

Well i see this news really confusing - i think it is really bad explained or maybe i missed something.In normal cd if beam hits land then detector will detect beam and you will get 1 ,if beam hits pit then laser beam will not be reflected and detected so processor will decide that it is 0. In this multiple colour teory there are some problems .For example if 3 lasers hits-green layer with pit all beams will not be reflected and detected by detector you will get 0.This same situation is with red or blue or watever colour and pit.You will always get zero. Maybe if you put 6 detectors 3-for reflected 3 beams from land and 3 for reflected 3 beams pit(in normal cd there are no detectors for beam that hits pit( and i don’t know if it is even possible to catch back beam that hits pit). Next problem is that you don’t have white layer.White layer will not reflect back green , blue or red laser.As you see you get a lot less combination.(from 8 if this multiple colours system works like in standard cd to 128 if this 6 detectors will work.Next problem is that so far reading with 2 laser is very difficult ,and 3 lasers will be very hard to achieve.Reading speed can be 3 times slower if you will use 1 detector(2 detectors) instead 3/6. Next problem is capacity they said that it is around 1024 times normal cd(i think 128 times max).So lets count 700mb 1024= 700gb-they put starange number 128gb. Next thing is what “122 880GB on a single CD” means-maybe thay are talking about dvd but even with 1024 factor they will get 5 gb1024 - you can’t have smaller pits like in blue laser because you are using 3 lasers (red will not fit in pit/land created for blue laser).So this numbers are too optimistic i think for cd you will get 90gb and for dvd 640 gb.Maybe i made mistake somewhere than please correct me

Stupid 16 year olds, stupid stupid stupid, one for each ‘color’. I emailed the people who gave this award and posted this link and I hope they take it away. Stupid stupid stupid.

From my email to ms. science wiz at Intel and the A-plus publishers The very idea they are talking about using Red Green Blue points out the fact they don’t get it, BLUE is the best color now to use (around 470nm) and guess what that’s what BLU-Ray uses (405nm) and can use more layer and you can BUY it from SONY!

hm… wonder how long till we see white laser cds :slight_smile: or ultraviolet. hm… or nice melty xray cds
[edited by Warzer on 22.11.2003 22:37]

White isn’t a color.

White is a mix of all colours of the (our) visible spectrum…black isn’t a colour…eg put a beam of “white light” through a prism and the resulting exiting beam will be broken down into (our) visible spectrum…so technically white IS a colour…:X

The real problem is there is nothing new or brillian here. For a while in fiber optic cables they have been trying to use colour lasers with a great deal of difficulty. They thus far have not really suceeded. We all know if we could use multiple colours similtaneously we can increase bandwidth of a digital line, or of a CD etc. The problem is how to do this reliably. There is no indication of all their info as to how this would actually work. It is a really nice theory but how do we specifically only read with NO interferance the layer we are looking for? There is going to be a great deal of interferance going through different layers. So real nice theory but nothing new. Come up with some way to actually make it work and that will be deserving of a Patent and a whole lot of money forget some dumb plaque!

Arghhhh…some of you people kill me. :wink: The 3 primary colors of LIGHT are Red, Green, and Blue which all mix to make White. The 3 primary colors of PIGMENTS (actually 4 colors) are Cyan (ligh bluish), Magenta (reddish), and Yellow which mix to make muddy brown/black. Black is the 4th pigment. This article falls under the “duh” category because you would have to invent some kind of technology that could read different layers of red/green/blue/black/white as opposed to “pits” on a single layer. You might as well just use multiple layers of the same color and a single laser with varying focal lengths (see the article on the Russian Scientist who has found a way to store a Terabyte on a single optical disk that was posted about a month ago). As for varying color lasers on optical cables, it’s called CWDM and it IS used successfully by companies like Cisco but involves MUXing lasers of different wavelengths (which give different “colors”) over the same cable.

I don’t get it; what have the kids actually DONE? If a new laser reading/writing mechanism is needed, what is the big breakthrough? The IDEA? Have they created the disc? Do we have a working demo product? If not, this goes into the “nice idea” basket.

I think they should be punished. :+

Hmm. Two teenagers had an idea… I got a theory on how that may have developed. :S “Hey man, what if you use, like, different COLORS, man!” puff puff “Yeah!” puff “That would be cool, 'cause there’s like, a lot of colors!” puff “I bet you could like, fit a bajillion megabytes on one disc, and stuff.” “Cool.” puff puff cough

heehee, good 1, says it all!

lol

I often wondered whatever happened to Beavis and Butt-Head after they left MTV :slight_smile: Now I know.:B

1. Usage of different frequencies (colors) is not new 2) Just think on how this would work… Different frequencies have different wave lengths. Meaning the track would have to accomodate the ‘largest’ wave length (near the red end of the spectrum). This means a lot of space is wasted. 3) More importantly, remember how cd burners had to write a CD in one go, because it needed to write the track uninterrupted on the CD? Burn-proof still takes a lot of time to re-align the laser, and you want to do this for every byte?? 4) They want to use a different color, that means they want to use primary color lasers and combine them on the same spot on the CDR to make a certain color? I’m pretty sure this does NOT work for lasers, you cannot ‘mix’ them to produce a different color. 5) You can re-write the same spot on a CDR with a different frequency laser, and the CDR will look empty to the computer every time you shift frequencies. This is holographic technology and the idea for it is OLD! However laser to do that are really big and expensive as far as I know… Here’s a slashdot article from 1999!