Teen Sentenced to 36 Years for 'Mortal Kombat' Death

Article published on Fox News

GREELEY, Colorado — A Colorado teen has been sentenced to 36 years in prison for his role in the death of a 7-year-old girl during an apparent imitation of the “Mortal Kombat” video game.

Lamar Roberts was sentenced Friday in Greeley’s Weld County District Court. The 18-year-old pleaded guilty last month to knowingly or recklessly causing a death through child abuse.

Prosecutors say Roberts and 17-year-old Heather Trujillo were baby-sitting Zoe Garcia on Dec. 6, 2007. They say the two kicked, hit and slammed Trujillo’s half-sister to the floor.

Trujillo pleaded guilty in July to negligently causing death through child abuse. She must serve six years in Colorado’s youth offender system.
How stupid! :frowning:

[quote=Randomus;2199829]Article published on Fox News
How stupid! :([/quote]
Well … the population ain’t gittin no smarter :wink:

well the way i see it…

whoever did this obviously has mental issues cause anyone with common sense would KNOW that kicking a 7 year old etc is just plain stupid, especially to the point where you kill them! :frowning:

p.s. here they go making video games look bad again :frowning: rolls eyes

The way I see it they are using the game as a scapegoat to try to reduce what they did for themselves… both of or close to adult age already knew what they were doing was a crime and still did it. Using the game is just a scapegoat makes me want to puke. I play those kinda game and I don’t go around killing and kicking people. Those two need serious physcological help and mental and need to be institutionalized for the rest of their lives. Those two are the kinda that need to be institutionalized permanently til they rot.

Of course such a thing is a tragedy. Trying to rationalize with actions like these, I always find myself thinking of the process of evolution; people with such stupidity, meanness etc should not be allowed to multiply and pass down genes. Therefore locking them up until at least the age of infertility is warranted.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2201326]Of course such a thing is a tragedy. Trying to rationalize with actions like these, I always find myself thinking of the process of evolution; people with such stupidity, meanness etc should not be allowed to multiply and pass down genes. Therefore locking them up until at least the age of infertility is warranted.[/QUOTE]
Agree.
There are, of course, those who will contend this is eugenics gone crazy and the there’s the “what about individual rights” crowd.
Sorry, the people have rights too.
In a free society I believe it is incumbent upon the government to defend and protect its citizenry.

Frankly, there are damn few people on this planet that truly should not be held accountable for their behavior. We all have stuff to deal with, some much more than others. I don’t believe for one minute this absolves most people of individual responsibility.

One could argue that any aberration from so-called “normal” and responsible, human behavior can be characterized as a mental illness.
I don’t buy it.
The US hospitals and schools are full of kids who take more medication than they have years on the planet.
Most, certainly not all, don’t need meds.
However, they all need love and nuturing, parents, structure, boundaries and consequences.
This is not meant as an indictment of the practice of medicine or use of medications, but rather a sad commentary on where we are as a society.

How about those with mental illness who are “ok” as long as they are compliant with their medications?
When they’re hospitalied and receiving meds and psychotherapy things are “ok”. The law says, you’re cured, you can go.
They’re discharged to the streets, become non-compliant and return to the roles of sociopaths who rape, pillage and kill.

Where and how do you draw the line?
In the US courts, a judgment of [I]not guilty by reason of insanity [/I]is insanity itself.
How about [I]guilty and insane[/I]? and then let justice take its course accordingly.