Teen kills himself live on the internet

GUY’S
There are a lot of questions about the death of a
young male college student . He said on the web that
he hated himself and wanted to die. He later took an
overdose of pills and commited suicide on the web.
The question is why didn’t any of the so called watchers
call the police?
ZAP.:rolleyes::frowning:http://news.aol.com/article/teen-commits-suicide-live-on-web/256594?icid=200100397x1213345890x1200878860

[QUOTE=zap em;2161874]GUY’S
There are a lot of questions about the death of a
young male college student . He said on the web that
he hated himself and wanted to die. He later took an
overdose of pills and commited suicide on the web.
The question is why didn’t any of the so called watchers
call the police?
ZAP.:rolleyes::frowning:http://news.aol.com/article/teen-commits-suicide-live-on-web/256594?icid=200100397x1213345890x1200878860[/QUOTE]

This is a tragedy for sure…I don’t think anyone would argue that, but there are tons of unanswered questions and vague statements that are purported to be fact.
For eg., this 18 yr old was prescribed benzodiazepines and [B]opiates[/B] for his bipolar disorder. I think not.
In over 30 years, I have yet to meet a physician so incompetent or negligent as to prescribe narcotics for bipolar disorder. It makes about as much sense as prescribing chemo agents to a 4 yr old with an ear infection.

[I]“Some users told investigators they did not take him seriously because he had threatened suicide on the site before”[/I]

[I]"On the bodybuilding Web site, Biggs used the screen name CandyJunkie. His Justin.tv alias was “feels_like_ecstacy.”[/I]

It goes without saying, the act of watching an individual commiting suicide and believing it, is reprehensible and unconscionable.
However, there’s plenty of blame to go around and simply to blame the viewers makes no sense.

First off, there’s no way this kid was compliant with his therapeutic regimen.
Also, it’s easy to blame the parents…but where were they? This kid’s popping prescription drugs that aren’t his…narcotics for bipolar disorder…:disagree:… , he’s got junkie user names, he’s been threatening suicide for some time and who knows what other risky behavior he’s engaged in?

Yeah, let’s blame the onlookers, physicians and counselors because no one is ever [I]accountable[/I] for his/her own behavior.
I know it sounds cold and like I don’t care, but everytime something goes wrong, it isn’t everyone else’s fault

Well said maineman.

Having had too much experience with suicide among family members and strangers (when I was very very young, 8 and 17, my cousin) I can only add, when someone speaks of suicide, take it seriously, very seriously. Add any mental condition and drug use giving an altered sense of reality and self worth, there is a high probability that an accident or intended suicide can be happen. What may have stated as a call for help on a deeper psychological level ends up as an accidental suicide, as the person in this distorted state hopes someone will save him/her. Suicide is mental illness and sometimes there is a lot that can be done and sometimes there is nothing but institutionalization. The later being better than death. This is not a blame issue but there is a lack of moderation on the website if this is going on for so long and since some websites are so big members must participate… There is a certain callousness of the people watching to not report previous improper statements regarding this persons stating his intent to commit suicide. I do not think moderators can moderate without the help of the forum members. This is ignorance on the part of members, for some callousness. In my life I have helped 3 people not commmit suicide, one was my sister, I caried her to my car and took her to the hospital as her call for help would have ended in her death as she took way too man plls and way too much alcohol. Later i would findout she did not really want to die, she just wanted someone to care. This is the distortion that people have, hey think no one cares, or read posts from people , in this case, who show no compassion. Blame is irrelevant. Education as to what people can do to possibly save someones life is paramount. It also feels really good when they thank you. In my case those thanks came years later, but with deep heartfelt emotion.

Again?

Hi! @Debro, I think it was the same one. The thread popped up over hear somehow.

I read some of his past posts on bodybuilding.com
so lets see
young guy takes steroids…
and who knows what else…
gets a bright idea to kill himself while others watch

but its some moderators on a website who are responsible?
why is he not responsible for his own actions?
what about his drug supplier…both steroid wise and street wise…?
his parents for what ever reason didn’t notice a change in his behaviour?

when i first read this i thought how bad to sit and watch someone do such a thing…but after reading the rest of the story…in which he threatened to do so MANY MANY times before …I’m sure they were waiting for a GOTCHA…that never came…its sad that he was in such need of attention and yet now he has tremendous attention but is no longer around to bask in it…

SEXY
You make a good point. Is he responsible for his
own actions? I don’t think so when you have some kind
of a mental illness that would lead you to the conclusion
that death is the only way out. I wasn’t saying that the
moderators,or the on lookers were responsible. However
it’s just human decencey to either report it to the authorities,
or try to stop it.
ZAP.:(:frowning:

[QUOTE=zap em;2162543]it’s just human decency to either report it to the authorities, or try to stop it.[/QUOTE]
And how many times will the authorities respond?
How many times can someone call wolf?

They say if you take a lot of steroids your weenie gets really really really small and your nuts shrink up. I, of course have never taken any steroids, so my brain has not shrunken due to extraneous pressures.

DEBRO/ZATHROS
That depends on wether you believe we are our
brothers keeper. Yes you get the chicken littles saying
that the sky is falling. So I say check it out first.
MR.ZATHROS that’s a little to over the top coming from
you.
ZAP.:rolleyes::frowning:

Hopes and prayers for his family. Really sad.

[QUOTE=zap em;2162628]DEBRO/ZATHROS
That depends on wether you believe we are our
brothers keeper. Yes you get the chicken littles saying
that the sky is falling. So I say check it out first.
MR.ZATHROS that’s a little to over the top coming from
you.
ZAP.:rolleyes::([/QUOTE]

Yes it is. I have suffered 2 road rage incidents involving body builders on steroids. Both incidents involved the police. If it wasn’t for the witnesses involved I am the one who would have been arrested. I studied Sil Lum Kung Fu for over 10 years and they both picked on the wrong guy. So when I had a steroid raged bodybuilder laying out flat in the middle of main street Danbury Ct. I was the one who looked guilty ( my being Puerto Rican didn’t help) (me being 230lbs and really pissed did not help either)… The comment was on bodybuilders in general (it’s true by the way). Not this person, as a re-read of the earlier post will show. I believe I expressed my view on the situation fully earlier. Maybe I should not have made that comment in this thread, I’ll grant that. But if your a body builder on steroids, go get some tweezers.

This is a tragedy, but I can understand why nobody reported it for two main reasons:

Part of human psychology is to think that if a lot of other people are going to see the same incident that you see, someone else is going to take action. Since this was online, it was assumed that a lot of people saw this cry for help, so each individual who saw it would be highly unlikely to do anything. The same thing happens, for example, when you see someone’s car broken down by a busy highway. If it’s a busy highway with thousands of cars, everybody assumes that someone else will be able to help and drives on. If a car breaks in a rural area, then when you drive by, you are a lot more likely to help.

Reason #2:
Typically people who are truly suicidal don’t publicize the fact that they are. If someone really wanted to kill him/herself, it’s most likely that that person will just do it without announcing it to the world beforehand. Threatening to kill oneself is considered a cry for help without real intentions.

:(IMM
You make some good point’s. What’s sad about the
situation is even though the young man had some mental
problems. He was in college which say’s to me he was
trying to better his life.
ZAP.:rolleyes:

You make some good point’s. What’s sad about the
situation is even though the young man had some mental
problems. He was in college which say’s to me he was
trying to better his life.
ZAP.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That I believe is true. Suicide is mental illness. (Again leaving out people with terminally intractable pain). That is the bottom line. Mental illness is real.
The whole responsibility issue just in case you didn’t know varies legally quite a bit. In New York state if you assist in a suicide it is manslaughter. I personally think any forum that has a person make such a statement should contact that person and ban them from posting. It may not stop the suicide but will take out the virtual “look at me, please help” reality that is not there.
We are all ultimately responsible for our acts, I hope the grace by the man upstairs is big enough to forgive and since only his maker knows intent, judgment on the victim is withheld. Only lessons to be learned here. Those lessons we figure out individually. Sharing, caring and hope communally. You are never alone, even when you think you are. I always can talk to myself.