Techspot editor: Start Menu's absence is irrelevant

vbimport

Techspot editor: Start Menu’s absence is irrelevant.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/[/newsimage]Techspot editor Matthew DaCarlo has written an editorial on the absence of the Windows 8 start menu and why it doesn't matter.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/techspot-editor-start-menus-absence-is-irrelevant-62551/](http://www.myce.com/news/techspot-editor-start-menus-absence-is-irrelevant-62551/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I think the author gets a weekly cheque from Redmond.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2644716]I think the author gets a weekly cheque from Redmond.[/QUOTE]
I was going to say the exact same thing. Wonder if all of these bribery checks to have tech pundits say positive things about Windows 8 is part of what contributed to Microsoft’s first-in-its-history quarterly loss…

[QUOTE=MJPollard;2644728]I was going to say the exact same thing. Wonder if all of these bribery checks to have tech pundits say positive things about [B]Windows 8 is part of what contributed to Microsoft’s first-in-its-history quarterly loss[/B]…[/QUOTE]

I believe that loss is in regards to their Online ad service not Windows 8 which has not been released for purchase yet from my understanding anyway.

[B]SJ[/B]

aQuantive put them in the hole.

I’ve been saying the exact same thing since the Developer Preview was released. Metro actually makes it easier because everything is right there on the Metro Start screen (I just wish the tiles could be customized more and be made a lot smaller), and just one double click opens whatever you want to open. With the Start menu, you had to click the Start menu, then go through at least one or two additional submenus to get to the program you want to open. But if you don’t like Metro, you don’t have to use it anyway. Once booted into Windows 8, click the Desktop tile in Metro, and you don’t ever need to go back (except to run Apps purchased from the Microsoft Store) if you have icons on the Desktop for the programs/files you use. (Which is how I’ve always used Windows 7 anyway, and is now how I use Windows 8). And lastly, Metro technically is the Start menu. It’s just different because everything is layed out on the screen instead of being buried in pop-up menus and submenus like the previous Windows Start menus, and there’s no permanently visible button in the corner to launch it.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2644732]I believe that loss is in regards to their Online ad service not Windows 8 which has not been released for purchase yet from my understanding anyway.[/QUOTE]
I know that. I was being snarky. And Brad, please spare us your Windows 8 love-fest; you’ve been singing its praises every chance you get, and we’re still not buying what you’re selling.

“Techspot editor: Start Menu’s absence is irrelevant”

So too it seems are the wishies and opinions of millions of Windows PAYING CUSTOMERS. Microsloth just posted it’s first quaterly loss ever, unless their exectutive get their heads out of their butts, it won’t be the last.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2644767]It’s just different because everything is layed out on the screen instead of being buried in pop-up menus and submenus like the previous Windows Start menus, and there’s no permanently visible button in the corner to launch it.[/QUOTE]

Hey! I happen to think best in terms of nested menus. That’s why I have my desktop essentially disabled except for quick file storage when moving between drives/partitions/the cloud. :wink:

Then again, I’ve butted heads with folks who wonder how I function. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=MJPollard;2644788]I know that. I was being snarky…[/QUOTE]

LOL :bigsmile: Yeah I figured as much but had to pull your chain anyway. :wink:

[B]SJ[/B]

I think I’d like to see the option of having a start button, but its also possible I’m stuck in the old way of thinking. For example, I currently don’t have a touch screen monitor, but if I did, it would change the way I interact with my computer in ways I probably haven’t even thought of, and I suspect in the next 5 years touchscreen monitors will become mainstream to the point that you will be the odd one if you don’t have one. Technology is always changing, maybe its time we change with it.
Then again we’re talking MS here, it will take them one more iteration of Windows before they get touchscreen right…

[QUOTE=iamrocket;2644815]
Then again we’re talking MS here, it will take them one more iteration of Windows before they get touchscreen right…[/QUOTE]

It’s already available in certain versions of W7.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2644796]LOL :bigsmile: Yeah I figured as much but had to pull your chain anyway. ;)[/QUOTE]
:smiley: Gotcha!