Technical question about burning XBox360 games

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GH22NP. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello Forum,

There’s a technical question I need some help with. I recently bought an LG GH22NP20 DVD burner with a 2.0 USB to IDE/SATA cable so I could use it externally, the only problem is that I can’t seem to burn XBOX 360 games because of the infamous “Semaphore time period has expired” error. I’ve tried the following troubleshooting methods.

• DMA Mode
  • ForceASPI (Don’t even know what this is, but from what I gathered it’s supposedly a possible reason for the semaphore error)
  • Turning off/Turning on the burner while the computer is on/off.
  • Using new media, currently using Memorex with some dye that’s supposed to be good. Other people I know have also used this set of DVDs with no problems which makes me fairly certain it’s not the media.
  • Updating firmware
  • Checking for master mode on burner
  • Alternate USB ports

On one occasion the burning started but the power went out in the neighborhood. The sequence was an attempt at burning, followed by the error and a failed attempt, then me switching the USB port that the burner was hooked up to, and the burning starting. I mention this because it indicates that the burner does work.

Would not having an enclosure for the drive possibly cause the semaphore error? I mean, the DVD drive is in a box like structure, but when I searched for what an enclosure is, it led me to believe that this is just the standard DVD case and not an enclosure.

Quick note: I noticed that when I disable the USB webcam that’s built into the laptop and then try to use the burner that the semaphore error shows up JUST before the message saying “new hardware found” and installation of the webcam.

Any ways of removing this webcam? I don’t really use it anyway so if I just rip it out of the laptop will that mess up the machine?

Memorex media is a waste, sorry.