Technical help

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On HDD+DVD Recorder. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]A general question and help if possible!

I have had a lite on 5045 for about 3 yrs now. The DVD Drive failed to read blank media after the warranty ran out but has still read commercial media until recently.

Firstly I am currently looking for a new DVD recorder with hard drive but am cautious about doing so… after previous experience.

Any suggestions about reliable and decent models upto £250 in price.

Secondly I have alot of music videos I have recorded of the TV on the Hard Drive but cannot take it off onto disk as it is unusable. I used to use magicdvdripper to convert it to DivX format so I could store on my computer to watch at my hearts delight.

Is there an easy way removing the drive and using an external hard drive reader, plugging the hard drive into the computer and running it through similar software to achieve the same affect?? I am not very technical more a trial and error sort of guy so simple steps would help.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Your best option will be to replace the DVD burner with one at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/. This shoul allow you to get the videos off the hard drive as well as make the recorder functional again. Burners going bad and needing replacement is quite common for LiteOn recorders due to the crappy burners used by LiteOn in the recorders.

Slightly off topic, rather than get a new burner, can I put the HD in a caddy and copy all the media straight to Windows? I have a HD-A740gx