Teac W548e : (((((

I bought the new TEAC 48x16x48 some days ago. I cannot make it write to cd media in speeds more than 16x!!!

The thing is that I 'm using cds that are writeable @32x with the TEAC 40x(W540E) model. Why the hell can’t this model(which is theoretically superior) burn these cds @more than 16x???:a

The only cds that it did managed to burn in 40x were the bundled teac cds. I’m using nero, winxp and the latest aspi.

help!

My first thought would be that you haven’t enabled DMA for your drive but you say that other (TEAC bundled) discs do work at 40X? Then it’s probably not a DMA issue and the drive is just picky with the media. Although they may be certified for 32x writing it doesn’t automatically mean the TEAC will also write the disc at that speed. The recorders uses the speed it ‘thinks’ is best for the media. It can also be that your media isn’t supported yet and the recorder uses a safe recording speed. I would suggest you try some other media to see if that works better (read: at a higher speed). Be sure to upgrade your firmware if new versions come out. New firmware versions often have better support for media. Good luck!

This is DEFINATELY not a dma issue :slight_smile: .

As I said previously, I used some no name cheap cds. The rec told it couldn’t burn at more than 16x.

THEN, I got one of these CDs to the CD-W540E of o friend of mine. The older teac model IS ABLE to burn these cds up to 40x speed. What’s the matter with the newer model?

Doesn’t it “inherit” the cd media preferences of the older model?!?!?!?! Suddenly it gets more selective?

Has anybody seen this drive on the net?? Why the hell does it have 2MB buffer where as the older one has 8, and why does it have FLEXTRALINK instead off the old burnproof??? The drive is not in the company’s website.

Why am I smelling something fishy with the importer here in greece?

Thanx for the answer m8…

Originally posted by InDio
Has anybody seen this drive on the net?? Why the hell does it have 2MB buffer where as the older one has 8, and why does it have FLEXTRALINK instead off the old burnproof??? The drive is not in the company’s website.
Why am I smelling something fishy with the importer here in greece?

TEAC even sells the W552E already :slight_smile:
I really hope that TEAC keeps its quality standards :confused:

Here is a description of the W548E and W552E drives from TEAC:
http://www.teac.de/dspd/en/presse/pi_cdw548e.htm

Prolly just needs a firmware update. Anyway, it seems to write fine with prodisc medias which is what I usually have. Waiting for this to hit the local shores over here.:bigsmile:

I hope I’ll get ya outta the fog a little bit.

Unlike its predecessor (which I’ve tested), the Teac CDW-548e is dropping it’s burn speed downto 16x instead of 32x :confused:

I’ve run into the same problem but I’ve tested the burner using 34 differend types of CD-R and CD-RW Media. All TDK-labeled Media is writable @ the highest speed (I wrote @ 48X without problems). But Media produced by Plasmon Data Systems seems not to be “liked” by the burner.

I used to burn on Creation CD-R but I now use TDK Media which is very reliable and almost as cheap as creation.

So far, so good.

The Phenomenon of underspeeding is actually reversed when it comes to CD-RW. i’ve actually managed to write @ 12X on 8x-10x CD-RW Media, and @ 16X on 12X CD-RW. Successfully!

So I say the teac CDW-548e is a great Burning unit, not to mention the Mount Rainier Support and the FlextraLink technology embedded :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Turn off the “Justspeed” option in Nero,drive options…:bigsmile:

The reason the 48 has only 2MB of buffer etc. compared to the 8MB on the 540e and higher seek times et al is that it’s based on a different chipset.
I don’t even know if Teac make the 48 and 52x drives anymore and they now use the mediatek chipset instead of Sanyo.
The new drives are more like Liteons than Teacs. :frowning:

I’m keeping my W540E anyway. :slight_smile: