TEAC W524GS Firmware needed after crossflash to Lite-on iHAS524

vbimport

Hey guys,

Did anyone of you have an original firmware BT11 for TEAC W524GS ?

I ve flashed my TEAC to Lite-on ihas524 and i forgot to made backup of my original fw. Drive working fine but it would be great if I will have a chance to back it into stock someday :slight_smile:

If anyone could help please…

Took a look around for you. Teac doesn’t have the firmware available for download at either their US or European sites.

And neither rpc1.org or Firmware HQ have it listed.

So it isn’t in the usual spots.

Thanks Kerry56,

Yes I know, i ve contacted with TEAC tech support yesterday, they answered me that fw in this drive was loaded during the manufacture process, there is no update for that drive and fw is unavailable on the web.

On this forum I saw that someone was crossflashing TEAC to Lite On, and my question is most to that users, maybe they made backup.

Maybe I should post it on other section of the forum or in the topic where discussion is about this. Excuse me I m a newbie :slight_smile:

I can move this into the Lite-on forum if you like. I’ll change the title of the destination thread so that it looks like it belongs there. :slight_smile:

There will still be a redirect for you here in the Newbie forum for a week.

Kerry56 it would be great if you can place it in the right section,thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

One of the members of the forums named Wishbringer crossflashed his Teac to a Lite-on but saved the BT11 firmware first and has graciously offered it to Blackheim and anyone else looking in.

http://upload.cdfreaks.com/Kerry56/Firmware_TEAC_DV-W524GS_BT11.bin

I don’t have this drive, so I cannot test the firmware. Safe to download however, as they show to be virus free.

Many thanks to Wishbringer.

Yes, Many thanks to Wishbringer. :slight_smile:

I ve tested this but I think that I make something wrong cause led indicator is blinking now. First I used flash utility and I restore stock FW. Than I used eeprom utility and restore TEAC eeprom, and now i have still blinking drive… If I want to convert drive or repair checksum i ve got errors. Even if I back to lite-on fw the indicator is still blinking :confused:

I dont know what s go wrong with that, but I think that is something with wrong eeprom right now.

[QUOTE=Blackheim;2608296]…
Than I used eeprom utility and restore TEAC eeprom, and now i have still blinking drive… If I want to convert drive or repair checksum i ve got errors. Even if I back to lite-on fw the indicator is still blinking :confused:

I dont know what s go wrong with that, but I think that is something with wrong eeprom right now.[/QUOTE]

NEVER EVER flash a LiteON drive with the EEPROM coming from another drive! :doh: Doing so should only be a matter of absolute last resort, and should never be done lightly!

Each drive’s EEPROM contains unique calibration data for that drive. I hope you’ve at least made an EEPROM backup of your drive after you crossflashed it to the LiteON firmware, but before flashing your drive with the TEAC EEPROM file, otherwise your original EEPROM calibration data is gone! If you’ve got an EEPROM backup file made before you loaded the TEAC EEPROM file on your drive, you’d better flash it back to your drive in order to restore your original drive calibration data.

If the convert drive feature no longer works for your drive, then try using C0deKing’s 24x B series recovery flasher from the patched firmware thread, and hopefully that will revive your drive. After that you can try again to crossflash it to whatever firmware you want to use and from now on make sure you don’t mess with the EEPROM! If the drive blinks after a crossflash, always use the convert drive feature to fix it and for the sake of your drive, don’t mess with anything else in the EEPROM Utility unless you know exactly what you’re doing!

Thank you very much. I think that i couldnt do anything with my TEAC right now. I havent original eeprom file. I will send it to service and see what they do with that.

Or maybe is any other way to fix it by myself ?

[QUOTE=Blackheim;2608467]Thank you very much. I think that i couldnt do anything with my TEAC right now. I havent original eeprom file. I will send it to service and see what they do with that.

Or maybe is any other way to fix it by myself ?[/QUOTE]

Give it a try. If you’re lucky enough that the new calibration data is not significantly different than the old one, your drive might still work well. Try to fix it and then burn and scan a couple of discs to see how it performs. With a bit of luck that might save the day …

Besides crossflashing voids warranty so they might well refuse to service the drive anyway …

I ve tried do this with this patched firmware, but eeprom utility still show errors. Before I send it to service i had flashed drive to original firmware so the system is recognizing it as TEAC i ve also resotre teac eeprom from Wishbringer, maybe i will have luck and service fix it with warranty…

Claiming warranty for a drive that has been damaged by crossflashing, is something we don’t like to see here. :cop:
“at your own risk” is not that hard to understand. Even not if English is only a foreign language.

These people that send in their drives after having killed them with foreign firmware and want them fixed under warranty are responsible for the companies to make all that patching stuff harder and harder. Thank you.

Michael

I am sorry to hear from the problems, Blackheim.
Had eeprom and firmware bin files from my own drive conversion trials, but didn’t know that eeprom is drive specific calibration data.

Otherwise I wouldn’t even sent it, only firmware file.

But that shows a well known thing: allways backup your own data before changing something.

It’s good, that actual drives only costs a fraction of old times: I bought my first CD-burner at $1000, now dvd-burners cost $20 and bluray around $80.

Just to remove temptation, I’m removing the link to the Teac eeprom file.

Wishbringer,

You ve done a lot to this,you helped me anyway, thanks again.

Michael,

I m sorry I just didnt know. Thanks for advices. You can delete this thread if you want to.

[QUOTE=Blackheim;2607610]Hey guys,

Did anyone of you have an original firmware BT11 for TEAC W524GS ?

I ve flashed my TEAC to Lite-on ihas524 and i forgot to made backup of my original fw. Drive working fine but it would be great if I will have a chance to back it into stock someday :slight_smile:

If anyone could help please…[/QUOTE]
i got bt11 if you still need it