Teac releases SD2.8 Burner - CD-W548E

Brennmeister Forum Talk

CDRINFO TEST

may be someone can give technical details why the teac sd2.8 can do (with what software)

Maybe someone could explain what SD 2.80 does, compared to older versions.
Then, technical details could be found :smiley:

Originally posted by alexnoe
Maybe someone could explain what SD 2.80 does, compared to older versions.

Needless to say, I wouldn’t know but I do have some suspicions as to at least part of what it does.

I strongly suspect that this version checks not only for the inevitable bad (and weak) sectors but also checks for certain patterns in the unreadable sectors. If it then detects a pattern consistent with the manner in which clonecd, in particular, writes bad sectors, the game won’t run.

My thoughts are not only consistent with ccd’s inability to copy sd 2.8x protected cds reliably but also with the fact that successful copies of sd 2.6x protected cds (eg. Battlefield 1942) made with ccd no longer work when the game is updated and the sd version updated to 2.8x whilst those copies originally made with discdump/fireburner continue to work as before.

@Philamper: IMHO, it should be easy to write a really unreadable sector, which will not allow to read anything, not in any RAW mode:
disrupt the sector header and the Q-subchannel! If this alone were the problem, then it had taken Olli a few minutes to compensate for this :slight_smile: