TEAC DV-W524GS-000 crossflash to Plextor PX-880SA

Hi,
can anyone tell me, what kind of drive is the TEAC DV-W524GS-000 in relation to LiteOn models? Is it iHAS424 or 524? Can it be crossflashed to Plextor PX-880SA? Will the crossflashing work in AHCI mode on Win 7 x64? What Plextor firmware would you recommend?

P. S. The drive is connected to a RAID controller, because my HDD’s are in RAID, and all the SATA ports go through the controller. My MB is a MSI K9A Platinum.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=zrlaszlo;2557607]
P. S. The drive is connected to a RAID controller, because my HDD’s are in RAID, and all the SATA ports go through the controller. My MB is a MSI K9A Platinum.[/QUOTE]with such a setup I would not even think about crossflashing.

Michael

I was feeling the same way, I just needed the assurance.

Otherwise,

1. How about crossflashing the drive in a “healthy” setup, and installing it back to where it is? (e. g. unplugging the HDD’s, changing settings in BIOS, as if the DVD-RW drive was alone on the controller, booting from a startup disk and after flashing the DVD-RW drive, plugging the HDD’s back in and reverting to previous settings)
  2. Is the crossflashing possible anyway?

Hi,

hm. Okay. You need a working Windows installation for the crossflash.
In general the Liteon/Plextor crossflash is described here: http://club.myce.com/f43/can-i-crossflash-plextor-px-880sa-liteon-310093/

Now you need to find out, what is sitting behind that TEAC label. I personally have no idea :frowning:

Michael

Well, is there anyone who knows, what is behind the label? What I would really like to know is what LiteOn model my drive is related to? Shall it work with the Plextor PX-880SA firmware?
In the store I was told, the drive was TEAC DV-W524GS-000. Actually I got the very same stuff, like here: http://cdrlab.pl/article_strona_9361_1.html
I checked it with Opti Drive Control.

More information about Teac here. NewFish has crossflashed his Teac to an iHAS424 A, so in theory, as long as the Teac has the ‘A’ chipset, it should be able to get crossflashed to a 880SA. But since the Teac doesn’t have LightScribe function, you won’t gain that feature from an iHAS424 A or 880SA.

I now own a Teac DV-W524GS-000 (got it as a present).

Most times i burn DVD+R DL, sometimes DVD+R SL, no DVD-R, in rare cases some CD-R.

So now my question is:
Keep Teac as Teac or crossflash to another drive like iHAS424A?

Any experiences about burning quality with those two firmwares?

If crossflashing, I would use iHAS 124/224/324/424/524 A BLC2-B/ZLC2-B FR DL16 EOS EOHT from CodeKing.

So I take it that the DVW524GS is identical under the hood to the px-880sa or liteon iHAS424? I have noticed that the DVW524GS is much more expensive.