Teac dv-w518gm?

Hi

first, i’am from germany and my english isnt the best.

I have buy a TEAC dv-w518gm DVD-Recorder.
Is this original TEAC or a rebagded Liteon or Pioneer ?
At rpc1.org or in this forum i cant find anything about my Teac.
No firmware and so on.

Drunk

This is available as internal and as external model.
It looks like a Pioneer burner!
http://dspd.teac.de/index.php?id=381&L=0

First thanks,

so know somebody which Pioneer it is?
what can i do to find out which model it is?

Drunk

Neither the photo nor your actual drive is a Pioneer. The Pioneer drives have those lots of deep round holes on top.

Your TEAC is a rebadged 18x LITEON. The photo the link above leads to is a LITEON drive as well, however I think that TEAC put a wrong photo on that page for the DV-W518GM, because the photo shows a 16x or 20x LITEON.

Does your drive look like the one on the TEAC web-site photo [B] chef [/B] provided? I mean the top-cover.

(Minor correction: The photo shows a 16x LITEON, not a “16x or 20x” as I wrote in the previous post! The 20x LITEONs look the same as the 18x.)

First , thank you for your answer.

Yes , it looks like the drive at the photo.It can write DVD - or +r with 18X Speed and write dvd-ram 12x.

what can i do to find out which liteon it is?

This should be fairly easy. :slight_smile:

The picture on the TEAC site shows a DV-W516GD, which is an older 16X model (looking at the available firmware, most likely a Lite-On SHW-160P6S rebadge).

As to your 18X burner, look closely at the LED and eject hole positions on the faceplate. If these are located exactly as in the picture, there’s a very high probability that you have another Lite-On rebadge. I’ll bet however that the top cover of your drive looks different from the one in the picture. Doesn’t it have square shaped indentations, in stead of the parallel ones you see in the pic? If so, I’m guessing you have a Lite-On LH-18A1P. To find out for sure, you need to check and confirm two things:

1. What’s the firmware version of your drive (a combination of 4 letters and numbers that appears behind the name of the drive)?

2. Download both the EEPROM and Flash Utilities from codeguys.rpc1.org and try to back up your drive’s EEPROM and firmware with them (click on “Backup Eeprom” and “Read Flash” respectively).

I have used the eeprom utility and this ist the name of the firmware - TEAC_DV-W518GM_ZT14.bin.

When i use crossflash tab in eeprom utility, he says 18a1p is my current model and i can crossflash to 20a1h/l.

so thanks guys, next time i will try to crossflash my drive.
when the flash fails can i flash my backup firmware back or is the drive destroyed?

[QUOTE=Cressida;2006937]I’ll bet however that the top cover of your drive looks different from the one in the picture. Doesn’t it have square shaped indentations, in stead of the parallel ones you see in the pic?[/QUOTE]

[B]Cressida[/B], I just learned it in another thread. The two different tops of 16x LITEONs and later 18x/20x LITEONs are “LITEON tops” and “BenQ tops”, respectively, and there’s a possibility of variation, in other words 18x/20x LITEONs with “LITEON tops” instead of “BenQ tops”. [B]Drunk master[/B]'s drive could be an example for the fact, that what [B]Albert[/B] said is also true for 18x LITEONs, since his is an 18x drive with a “LITEON top”. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Drunk master;2007282]I have used the eeprom utility and this ist the name of the firmware - TEAC_DV-W518GM_ZT14.bin.

When i use crossflash tab in eeprom utility, he says 18a1p is my current model and i can crossflash to 20a1h/l.

so thanks guys, next time i will try to crossflash my drive.
when the flash fails can i flash my backup firmware back or is the drive destroyed?[/QUOTE]

That looks close enough to an 18A1P, if the EEPROM Utility recognizes it this way (your ZT14 firmware could be based on the ZX1* series from the DH-18A1P, which is an OEM model of the LH-18A1P itself). Remember you need two backups in order to restore your drive to a TEAC: 1. the EEPROM and 2. the firmware. Also, crossflashing voids your warranty, so don’t return the drive if anything should go wrong.

[QUOTE=georgekellerman;2007286][B]Cressida[/B], I just learned it in another thread. The two different tops of 16x LITEONs and later 18x/20x LITEONs are “LITEON tops” and “BenQ tops”, respectively, and there’s a possibility of variation, in other words 18x/20x LITEONs with “LITEON tops” instead of “BenQ tops”. [B]Drunk master[/B]'s drive could be an example for the fact, that what [B]Albert[/B] said is also true for 18x LITEONs, since his is an 18x drive with a “LITEON top”. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

I believe the vast majority of A1/A4 drives use the BenQ top, maybe some early production A1’s still had the LiteOn top. Drunk master hasn’t confirmed what his drive cover looks like :). The A3 is a completely new design from LiteOn (not a BenQ-LiteOn mixup like A1/A4 :p) and the A3 cover is different from the “old” LiteOn top yet again.

Yeah, I see.

Well, when I find some time, I will try to look at all the different models/tops again via image searches to burn their exact looks into my brain forever. :wink:

so what about new/modified firmware? (current ZT14)
sorry for my poor eng)

Wow, September 2007, I didn’t think these would be so recent. That also makes it a possible DH-18[B]A4[/B]P rebadge, slightly complicating matters as there are two versions of A4 firmware (“A” for the old Mitsubishi Laser Diode and “S” for the new Sharp LD). After backing up the firmware, you’ll have to open the .bin file with a hex editor and search for [I]LD:SHARP[/I]. If it’s not there, you would use the “A” version of DH-20A4P firmware, if it is there you’d need the “S” version for a crossflash (note: all at your own risk and voiding any warranty!).

Of course, it could still be a DH-18[B]A1[/B]P rebadge too, which the firmware version starting with Z*** seems to indicate. A quick google hasn’t turned up any mention of DH-18A4P firmware, to see if that would match ZT14 too. Since many people are using A1 and A4 firmwares interchangeably with success, it shouldn’t make too much difference anyway.

Hello All,
Thank You for usefull information placed on this forum.
I’d like to get Your assistance about following issue.
I purchased my Teac-DV-W518gm DVD recorder (Revision ZT14) one year ago and till now I haven’t any problem with it.But after I bought Verbatim 8.5 Gbyte dual layer DVD disk my recorder cannot recognize it . After reprograming of firmware to LiteOne LH-18A1P lastest GL0J revision, the problem persists. I know , that my recorder able to burn dual layer DVD regardless on it’s +/- formats.
I have no problem with born of regular Verbatim DVD.
Please advise.

try flash it to Lite-On LH-20A1P (KL0N-FB-EOS-EOHT3)

on this fw i dont have any problems with DL discs