TDK WR700 Wireless Hi-Fi-Headphones Review

vbimport

I just posted the article TDK WR700 Wireless Hi-Fi-Headphones Review.

In this review, we will check out how they perform against a pair of corded headphones, its features and how well it copes with everyday use such as sound quality, line of sight, distance from transmitter and battery life.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/tdk-wr700-wireless-hi-fi-headphones-review-28027/](http://www.myce.com/review/tdk-wr700-wireless-hi-fi-headphones-review-28027/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

These headphones are really stylish! Will they work on the iPhone too? If so, they would sure make a lovely gift!

And how about prices? I only found them at Amazon for $85.99 (http://www.amazon.com/TDK-WR700-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B003E49GRC/)

they look great let us know how the sound quality is,great layout.What’s the range you can go for reception.

See the latest section of the page “Sound quality and everyday usage” for range tests. The range is not that of a cordless phone, but it’s certainly better than any Bluetooth headset I’ve tried, working in our house two concrete block walls apart from the transmitter. The main thing I like is that the transmitter does not need to be in line of sight, for example, the transmitter works fine behind a TV or desktop PC, even while walking about the room.

My hearing goes up to 17kHz. Based on a few quick tests, I can hear up to 17kHz with these headphones. While I haven’t tried bass tests, the bass response is very impressive and I’m fairly sure will go down to the specified 20Hz based on some of the deep frequency sounds I heard in some music.

[QUOTE=Celina;2507835]These headphones are really stylish! Will they work on the iPhone too? If so, they would sure make a lovely gift!

And how about prices? I only found them at Amazon for $85.99 (http://www.amazon.com/TDK-WR700-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B003E49GRC/)[/QUOTE]

Since the iPhone is compatible with a standard headphone connector (3,5mm) it should be possible to connect the transmitter to the phone and so the iphone should work with these headphones. Maybe the size of the connector makes it a bit uncomfortable.

In the Japanese press release, one of the pictures shows it attached to an iPhone. :slight_smile:

The following shows it attached to my jail-broken GPS:

You would definitely get some laughs if people catch you calling with your iPhone when these TDK headphones are connected. Still, I love the idea of wireless headphones for my mobile phone - really hate the cables. And as long as you don’t pull your iPhone out of your pocket, I definitely think these TDK headphones look stylish!

Are these headphones only for computers or can the be used with an entertainment center?

They will work with anything anything that ordinary corded headphones/earphones connect to.

If you wish to use it with an entertainment system that doesn’t have a headphones socket, you will need an RCA/Photo to 3.5mm (1/8") adapter and a 3.5mm (1/8") coupler.

The guys from Kleer Wireless Headphones Blog (which contains reviews of wireless audio products that use Kleer technology) were quite impressed by this review:

In-depth review of the TDK WR700 wireless headphones that use Kleer technology on the MyCE website. And when I say in-depth, I mean five pages of review where they tested latency, audio quality, wireless audio distance using different types of walls, and battery life depending on audio volume. [B]The review really kicked the tires on the TDK WR700 wireless headphones[/B].
More

In just about all cases this device sounds like something I could really use (hard of hearing). The one remaining issue I don’t know how to solve is my receiver (and most receivers, I believe) mute the sound from the speakers when using a headphone. This means I couldn’t use them if there were others in the room listening. Any ideas?

servtrkr, I think if I understand you ,doesn’t the speaker quit when plugging in the ear phonejack into the speakers.
if the jack doesn’t fit there’s adaptors you can use.

The speaker DO quit. That’s the problem! If multiple people are in the room listening and only one has head phones, no one will hear but the one with the head phones.

I understand now,and there’s got to be something you can doanybody have an idea on this

just screamin’ and cryin’ the blues:bow:

Well in this review it said you can use up to four head sets

TDK Life on Record WR700 Wireless Headphones let you move without the limitations of a cord and still get the high fidelity stereo sound you crave. Simply plug the transmitter into your in-home stereo system or mobile audio device and sync it with the headphones. The Kleerâ„¢ lossless, wireless audio technology delivers uncompressed digital audio in 16-bit, 44KHz-diital audio at CD quality. Compare it to other technologies that compress the audio prior to transmission, like Bluetoothâ„¢, and you will hear the difference. The WR700 also offers dynamic channel selection, which eliminates signal “drops,” a clear advantage over WiFi. And Kleer’s Listen Inâ„¢ technology enables users to share their music experience with up to four wireless headphones listening simultaneously to the same audio source. A distinct additional advantage is ultra-low power consumption: Just four AAA batteries, two in the transmitter unit and two in the headphones, provide 30-40 hours of listening time. The wireless transmitter is compatible with all audio devices using a 3.5mm headphone port.

I’ve been using mine for about two weeks. Fidelity is good (at least for my old ears!) Battery life is short. The batteries in the transmitter lasted 48 hours, out of which I actually used the headphones about two hours. The only solution is to remove the batteries when not in use,
which nulls the ability to remote start from the headphone. The sound was extremely distorted when I used the headphone jack from my sound system, apparently because of an impedance mismatch. I had
to use a “audio record” line level output from the rear of my system. Battery life is my only complaint, but in my view it’s a fairly serious shortcoming.

[QUOTE=wendell36@earthlink.net;2511765]Battery life is short. The batteries in the transmitter lasted 48 hours, out of which I actually used the headphones about two hours. The only solution is to remove the batteries when not in use, which nulls the ability to remote start from the headphone. [/QUOTE]
Eek, sounds like either there was either a bad battery or you have a faulty transmitter unit. I’ve used these headphones quite heavily throughout the review, several hours an evening basically to try out various varieties of music.

At present, I’m still using the original bundled AAA’s since I started the review in both the transmitter and headphones and both power up fine at this time of writing, even though I’ve been leaving the batteries in both units while not in use.

I would suggest leaving these two replacement batteries in for a few days to see if this happens again. If so, consider getting the headphones kit replaced.

Thanks for the input! I’ll check it out.

Wendell36: I’m curious how the volume was when you connected the phones to your audio record line level out?
I connected the headphone I typically use with my PC (haven’t bought the WR700 as yet) to the standard audio out terminals (used an RCA to Mic splitter) on the back of my receiver and the volume was so low I could barely hear the sound.

The volume was much lower than using the headphone out, but the fidelity was much, much better. Audio record out levels are typically -5 db. into 10K impedance (if I remember correctly), so headphones would not be expected to work very well. The specs for the WR700 are 32 ohms impedance but the sensitivity is 106 db so I would presume some amount of amplification. I don’t see anyone else mentioning distortion so maybe it’s just my system.