TDK will withdraw from the Blu-ray disc business by March 2014

vbimport

TDK will withdraw from the Blu-ray disc business by March 2014.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/04/WpSDQ8.jpg[/newsimage]TDK will withdraw from the Blu-ray disc business by March 2014

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/tdk-will-withdraw-from-the-blu-ray-disc-business-by-march-2014-66987/](http://www.myce.com/news/tdk-will-withdraw-from-the-blu-ray-disc-business-by-march-2014-66987/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

That’s a shame. but no surprise. BD discs have been way to expensive to catch on. What! Load and store my data to a BD disc, no chance. I use enterprise drives to store my data, two of them if it’s a critical archive. (Well, critical to me anyway) I wouldn’t risk my wedding photos to a BD disk with an unknown lifespan and horribly expensive.
If the price fell like DVD did, we might all be using them for all sorts of non critical things and TDK would be making loads of profit and not even contemplating stopping making them. All they are good for now are Blue-ray movies, the purchased variety, if that’s your want, but for how long, who knows?

I still use them for backup. I usually use Verbatim’s with are about $30 for a 25 pack (so just over a buck/pop).

DVD’s are 25 cents, a dual layer still over a buck (for a verbatim).

You’re right though. Quality Dual Layer DVD’s and Blu-Ray’s never really dropped in price. I guess the demand for optical media tapered off, and they couldn’t mass produce to keep prices low?

Either that or the royalties on bluray products are still pretty high.

I’ll wager that the BDA is controlling media prices, either directly through licensing agreements or indirectly through license fees.

I still have yet to get a DB-Burner, hence I’ve never bought a BD-R in my life. Heck, I don’t even have a BD player, or any BD movies, which is probably a good thing, since I don’t have he patince to put up e.g. Cinivia.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2686380]I still have yet to get a DB-Burner, hence I’ve never bought a BD-R in my life. Heck, I don’t even have a BD player, or any BD movies, which is probably a good thing, since I don’t have he patince to put up e.g. Cinivia.[/QUOTE]

My Mexican friend, Cinavia isn’t on the majority of discs, not even close. You should embrace Blu-ray or at least download some high def x264 rips. Hard to go back to DVD after doing this.

So TDK are going to focus on rechargeable batteries. That’s fine but good luck trying to beat Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables.

I use Bluray for data backup, as well as movie backup, I’d never dare to use TDK though.

The last batch labelled TDK I bought was not manufactured by TDK, TDK had just sold its name to some crap company producing crap disks.

As far as I’m concerned TDK has already withdrawn from Bluray, at least 25GB single layer disks.

I say sell it to a Chinese company so they can dump cheaper blu ray media on the market and put pressure on blu ray disc prices. IMO, hard drives & flash are going to take over. Who really uses a disc anymore, except as failsafe backups?

Am I sensing a trend? I haven’t backed up a blu ray for data archival in MONTHS… perhaps I think most media isn’t worth the cost, time & electricity anymore. Or perhaps I’m just lazy…

How about you?!? What are you archiving or NOT on blu rays these days?!?

I have around 100-150 DVD blanks left, will be using them out gradually.

But my main backup is now bluray. So basically everything goes to bluray-discs.

Have bought reasonable quality discs at 20-25€ / 25pack from amazon (including delivery). And if one disc holds approximately 23GB, i have bought 575GB of space for 20-25€.

I could be using DVD blanks, but the price needed to be around 14-18€ / 100 pack including delivery. Possible, but not right now.

I don’t really trust HDD’s as backup because of their mechanical nature. And the price per gigabyte is approximately the same (3TB around 105€). (OT: I got one HDD which last time was in use in August 2010. After that it has been inside a computer case in outdoor storage with no climate control. Temperatures ranged between -35C and +35C. Brought the HDD indoors about a month ago, left it to warm up overnight, connected it and voila - no problems, happily whizzing away)

And yes, I don’t have even one bought bluray video disc. And yes, I do have the hardware and computing power to do it. Unfortunately it just seems that using bluray discs is too hard. DVD’s are (nowadays) easy. Pop in the disc, make sure that you have libdvdcss installed and begin watching. I do have quite a stack of bought dvd’s, because I can watch them.

Blurays on the other hand do implement such protection schemes that it is hard to justify the time and tinkering needed to simply watch or backup a movie that I have paid - dearly - for.

[B]TDK will withdraw from the Blu-ray disc business by March 2014 TDK will withdraw from the Blu-ray disc business by March 2014 [/B]

At l(e)ast some good news…