TDK THH02 Crap?

vbimport

Hi,

i want to show you this scan of a TDK 16x media THH02.

The DVD was burned with a GSA-H60N at 4x.

The scan was made using an Optiarc AD-7240S at 5x.

Looking at the PIE and PIF values the DVD should be not readable , however i was able to make an ISO image of it using the same burner used to scan it .

What’s wrong ? Do you think that Ad-7240S is good enough to make scans .

TDK should be good media , or not ?

I used it to make other quality scans and all looks alright except for a high PIE values .

[QUOTE=visions_of_eden;2575702] What’s wrong ? Do you think that Ad-7240S is good enough to make scans .[/QUOTE] Some of the previous Optiarc/NEC drives have been a bit hit-and-miss as quality scanners, but I don’t have experience with more than a single drive in this series, so I can only say that it might be an OK scanner.

Try running a Read Transfer test (on the Benchmark tab) and see if the drive can easily read the disc; anything other than a smooth curve increasing towards the end of the disc is a sign that the drive has problems reading the disc.

If the Read Transfer test is also bad, that confirms the bad PIE/PIF scan.

The DVD was burned with a GSA-H60N at 4x
Some combinations of modern DVD burners and 8x/16x media produce poor results at slow burning speeds (4x and lower), so you might consider burning at e.g. 8x instead.

Welcome to the MyCE forums. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2575719]Some combinations of modern DVD burners and 8x/16x media produce poor results at slow burning speeds (4x and lower), so you might consider burning at e.g. 8x instead.

Welcome to the MyCE forums. :)[/QUOTE]

I always tought that slower is better :iagree: but since i could be wrong i will try burning it at higher speed to see if there’s some change .
I will post results tomorrow .
However , to have a test-sample i made a scan of a pressed DVD and PIE and PIF error are very low (PIE Sum8 < 30) and (PIF Sum1 <=2) , so i could say that the AD7240S is not the problem .

Dyes that are designed to burn faster sometimes don’t burn well at slower speeds simply because the writer is actually taking longer to burn the pits. This is why some writers write some medias far better at faster speeds. The laser spending too much time burning a pit may create too much heat in that location.

-JD

Personally, I’ve had very good luck with the Made IN UAE Falcon/TDK TTH02’s, but I have noticed Falcon’s quality has been slowing declining the last year or so.

I’m still willing to use the Falcon/TDK DVDR’s (if I could find any!), but I would
be a bit hesitant to use the cdr’s, the last batch I got was dreadful.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2575842]Personally, I’ve had very good luck with the Made IN UAE Falcon/TDK TTH02’s, but I have noticed Falcon’s quality has been slowing declining the last year or so.

I’m still willing to use the Falcon/TDK DVDR’s (if I could find any!), but I would
be a bit hesitant to use the cdr’s, the last batch I got was dreadful.[/QUOTE]

I’ve also had great luck burning MIUAE TDK TTH02s (the inkjet hub printable ones that Meritline used to sell) on an AD-7240S, at all speeds. In fact, they burn extremely well on several drives I’ve tried. I posted some scan results from an AD-7240S starting here.

Well, looking at your posts i don’t know what to think .

I had problems also with TYG03 Archivial Grade JVC media as you can see from my latest thread (

) . At this point i suspect the problem lies in my whole system . It’s not possible to have bad PIE results on 3 different burners on different media types .

Can someone who has more experience than me give me some tips on how i can work it out ?

Have you tried burning the TY and TDK media on your AD-7240S? If you do and they scan decently, then the problem might be your GSA-H60N burner.