TDK +Rs at COSTCO Japan?

vbimport

I was in my local COSTCO yesterday. I saw they had a new stack of the 15 pack of TDK DVD+R 4x media on the table. I took a look and saw a few of the packages marked MADE IN JAPAN! I had bought a pack of these a few weeks ago that were labeled made in Taiwan. These did not burn well in either my Plextor 708a or my Lite On 851s. They were RICOH 4x media according to the media code.

I bought a pack of these hoping they were actually TY media. Most of the other packages had the Taiwan label on them.

They must have mis-labeled them because inside was the same old RICOH that are in the packages marked Taiwan.

Has anyone else see these?

Has RITEK set up a plant in Japan, or has RICOH contracted with someone in Japan to make media for them now?

Or, is it just another marketing scam because they know we are all looking for quality media from Japan?

???

Maybe I’m wrong, but as far as I know RICOH still has a DVD production plant in Japan.
I can remember some RICOH DVD+RWs that were “Made in Japan”.

Andy :smiley:

Originally posted by WebTech Inc
[B]Maybe I’m wrong, but as far as I know RICOH still has a DVD production plant in Japan.
I can remember some RICOH DVD+RWs that were “Made in Japan”.

Andy :smiley: [/B]

I have always been under the impression that RITEK in Taiwan makes RICOH DVD media as they have no production facilities of their own.

I’m seeing more and more reports of these Japan Maxells, DVD+R.
I’m wondering if Hitachi-Maxell or TY is making them, just like Ritek makes them in Taiwan. Closer examination of the discs themselves might give a clue.

My Maxell DVD-R has a serial number that is in a straight line across the lip of the center hub. TY has a serial that’s curved around the edge of the center hole. Both have a clear center.

The only Ricoh claimed to be “made in Japan” that I’ve got are some HP DVD+RWs (they are about a year old).
Here is a scan of one disc:

Hitachi Maxell has DVD production lines in Japan.

Also, Ricoh originally had DVD production lines in Japan, being a Japanese company, but these days, very few Japan-made Ricohs can be found. It would be nice to see some tests done with the Japan-made Ricohs!

I bought TDK DVD+R 4x (Japan) last week and they were RICOHJPNR01. They burn at 6X in my NEC ND-2500a.

Today I bought a 15 pack of Maxell DVD+R 4X (Taiwan) and they were also RICOHJPNR01. They also burn at 6X.