TDK -R 16x inkjet printables any good?

vbimport

i just bought a box of TDK DVD-R 1-16x discs (50+20 Bonus Pack) for $20Aus after 50% sale @ Bing Lee. They are made in Taiwan and come in a shrink wrapped spindle inside a cardboard box.

Are these discs any good? because i don’t know too much about media quality, and i use them for dvd burning(data/games) on my pc and for recording on using a DVD recorder for my tv.

i used dvdinfo pro and this is what it says in mt pioneer DVR107D:

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID TTH02
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 411107328
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 09
2x Speed OPC power 0A
2x Write Strategy field 1 15 98 89 90
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 07
4x Speed OPC power 14
4x Write Strategy field 1 0A 0E 09 04
4x Write Strategy field 2 95 07 0D 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 17
4x Write Strategy field 4 15 B8 99 85
4x Write Strategy field 5 B8 9A 32 03 20 32
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

comments please?? i bought 2 boxes (140 discs) and if they are crap i will go and exchange for some others or a DVD+R (would that be better? they are the same 50+20 Bonus pack from taiwan)

thanks soo much

You can’t do better for that money, but they’re not the best discs in the world. If you’re using the Pioneer 107 then you should look at exchanging them. Your 8x burner won’t know how to burn these 16x discs well. Go for some 8x Verbatims if you can. Otherwise get a refund and order some Taiyo Yudens online from jpldisplays.com.au or nortsandones.com.au

We don’t have bing lee in Melbourne so without knowing what they sell I can’t recommend much else for an exchange.

You using the Pioneer 107 to burn them? I don’t know how well it will handle the discs but all of my newer writers have not been able to burn those types of discs that good. Had some issues with skipping and whatnot in DVD players.

I did some quality scans and the results vary too much, even when using the same writer at the same speed. The best result I had was with the Pioneer111L @ 8x. The liteon LH18A1P @ 6x was also not too bad.

I’m guessing it may have been because I got the “multi colour” TDKs that came in 30 pack “snap and save” cases.

Personally though, I’d just use them for movies or data. For PS2 games, I don’t know how well they’d work seeing as they skipped a lot in my PS2.

Oh and I have also tried the +R discs. They are TDK003 and seem to scan REALLY bad with all my writers. They also have some playback problems. Stick with the -R IMO.

are you talking about the exact same ones as show in the pictures?

the +R version has a very similar looking box with different colours but pretty much similar graphics.

Yer only the 107D v1.22fw

so when u say that “I’d just use them for movies or data” what SHOULDN’T i be using them for? so no TV work?

Well, as I said before, my TDK were a bit different. 16x -R like yours but in a snap and save case and they were coloured discs. You have white inkjet printable on the top but I have 10 blue discs, 10 Purple and 10 green in my 30 pack. Whether this could actually affect the performance, I doubt it.

You shouldn’t use them for PS2 games since the PS2 has a weaker laser. It will struggle to read the discs if they are not burnt correctly. In some versions of the PS2, poor quality discs, or dusty discs will cause the laser to die. Even if you have a PS2 which does not have the laser problem, using lower quality discs will eventually lessen the life of the PS2.

has anyone actually used these exact ones?

As some people already have posted, they have ALMOST NOTHING different to other Made in Taiwan TDK discs! They are made at the same CMC Magnetics plant and show almost EQUAL quality, stability, longevity etc.
As for me, Made in Taiwan TTH02 discs are usually fine, at least I don’t see degradation after 6-12 months, but on the other hand, that’s not a long period. Only time will tell.

Another moment is your burner. I’m using Pioneers DVR-111L and DVR-110, but yours is DVR-107D.
Maybe you should try and find some 8x media, e.g. TYG02 or YUDEN T02, maybe CMC MAG AE1, RICOHJPN R02 or MBIPG101 R04 also would be fine.

I personally have no practice on making PS2 backups and TV-records on DVDs, so I can’t comment on these subjects.

IMHO, the only thing you shouldn’t do is to replace these TDK 16x DVD-R with the TDK 16x DVD+R discs, because those may degrade REALLY quickly!

what happens when discs degrade? and how do i tell if they are?

i mostly burn data on to dvds, such as photos, videos etc, so what effects would i see if discs were to degrade?

Well you can tell they degrade when they work, then you use them some time later and they don’t work, even though there are no scratches and you store them properly :slight_smile:

Effects = disc is unreadable