TDK name change to Plextor

vbimport

Hi. Can anybody help me to change my TDK velocd 16x10x40A to Plextor 16x10x40A because TDK is a rebadged Plextor and Plextor does provide newer FW than TDK. Problem is that I don't have any DOS firmware utility to change my TDK's ID string to Plextor. I'll be happy if anybody can help me. Thanks Sako.

Originally posted by Sammie
because TDK is a rebadged Plextor

Are you sure about that?
I also had heard of this (that TDK’s Velo series were rebagded plextors) so i went and bought the TDK 24x cdr…boy wasn’t this a bad move!!
It took me like ages (more than 4h to create img files from SD2 games like RA2) so i went and compared it to a P24x afriend of mine had…it onlu took him 10min to create the img from the same original cd - which amazed me!
Then i heard from someone in this forum i think that TDKs are made by sanyo or something (correct me if i’m wrong here) so i went back and replaced the drive with a P40/12/40A.

Sorry, but i have no idea on how to change the TDK into a Plextor (if in fact it is a rebadged plexie). Maybe you could try to upgrade it’s firmware with the flash utility plextor provides for the 24x model under dos … the worst think that can happen is that it won’t accept it :wink:

You can visit this page
http://www.plextor.be/English/technical/downld_firmw_2410TA.html

Let me clarify this for you. TDK buys thier drives from 3 manufacturers OEM.
TDK velocd 16x10x40 is a rebadged Plextor
16x10x40x or 40xa is Sanyo
TDK velocd 24x10x40x is a Sanyo
24x10x40B is a rebadged Lite-ON LTR-24102B
32x10x40B is again a rebadged Lite-on LTR-24102B
and so it goes this way. the B models of TDK is a Lite-on
the X models are Sanyo
I have had almost all the TDK models the B models make perfect SD2 with CloneCD The X models suck bigtime not supporting EFM error correction.
forgot to tell to that TDK’s latest velocd 40x12x48B is a rebadged Lite-ON. They no longer buy OEM Plextors anymroe because it is more expensive than Lite-on. The only Plextor is the TDK velocd 16x10x40 model which still I keep. What I mean is that TDK is NOT a manufacturer, instead their resellers they buy OEM drives from other maufactures rebadge and sell as TDK. Same goes for:
Sony
LG
Cendyne
Verbatim
and many others I forgot now to post.

If you want the fastest SD2 reader use Toshiab SD-M1612 dvd which I have and along with CloneCD 4 beta30. Check out my log file for 2002 FIFA World Cup it has SD2 protection. I made a image in 2 min. 21 seconds!!!

IW 12:27:31 AM Failed to read Sector 811

W 12:27:46 AM Failed to read Sector 10156
I 12:29:51 AM Duration of operation: 00:02:21
I 12:29:51 AM Average Speed: 5209 kBytes/s (29.60)
I 12:29:51 AM Reading finished!

Let me clarify this for you. TDK buys thier drives from 3 manufacturers OEM.
TDK velocd 16x10x40 is a rebadged Plextor
16x10x40x or 40xa is Sanyo
TDK velocd 24x10x40x is a Sanyo
24x10x40B is a rebadged Lite-ON LTR-24102B
32x10x40B is again a rebadged Lite-on LTR-24102B
and so it goes this way. the B models of TDK is a Lite-on
the X models are Sanyo
I have had almost all the TDK models the B models make perfect SD2 with CloneCD The X models suck bigtime not supporting EFM error correction.

Well i guess i had one of those :mad:

Wish i knew that before i went to buy that piece of crap … it was very pretty though :wink:

Maybe that 40x TDK is a good choice !

For making perfect copies of sd2 games get Lite-ON burner and a Toshiab sd-m1612 reader along with Clonecd 4. This is the best configuration I came up with. You can make a complete sd2 title under 6-7 minutes. Save time and frustration. Lite-on updates firmwares more frequently than others.

Thanx for the advice … but i guess that my new plexie 40x serves me just fine for now;)

Sammie, you may be aware that there was a hacked piece of “name string” firmware for the TDK veloCD 12x10x32 which was a rebadged Plextor. This changed the name string to Plextor. This can be found at TDK veloCD 12x10x32 - Can the Name be Changed?.

At this site references are made to some of the folks who created the software for this change. If you want to contact them to get advice for the 16x TDK, you may still be able to find them.

As a suggestion, it would be helpful if you would edit the log file in your earlier post to eliminate all but the first and last “Failed to read Sector” readings. :slight_smile: Nobody is going to read all of those lines and it wastes a lot of forum space. An edited version would be just as easy to understand and would be more readable. :wink:

Thanks for the info , I have seen that site but I have not tried it yet .

I have a 12x TDK (rebadged Plextor) and a 12x Plextor. I have resisted renaming the TDK so far but one of these days I may do it just so I can use the Plextor utilities. Other than that, it really doesn’t matter, since they use the same firmware. I figured out how to use the Plextor firmware with the TDK. v1.08 was the last firmware offered by TDK, but I have been using the Plextor v1.09 firmware on the TDK ever since it came out. I have used them for dual burning many times without a hitch.

If all you want to do is use the latest Plextor firmware, you don’t have to change the drive string.

I’ll download the Plextor firmware and see if I can adapt the method I used for the 12x for your 16x. I’ll let you know in another post. :wink:

This is something that I did earlier for someone who had a 16x TDK and wanted to use Plextor firmware. It worked for him with v1.04 firmware. I have adapted it to the v1.05 firmware, but it hasn’t been tried yet with that firmware. The v1.05 firmware is not yet on the Plextor Europe site so I have used the file from Plextor USA:

Plextor has changed the firmware installers in their latest firmware, stopping the ability to flash to a rebadged Plextor. Formerly, modifying the PlexFirm.ini file was all that was necessary to allowing flashing rebadged Plextors.

They made this change also in their 12x firmware starting with v1.09. However, using and modifying the v1.08 firmware, I was able to update my 12x TDK (rebadged Plextor) to v1.09 using the Plextor firmware. The following procedure will use the same logic and be adapted for the 16x firmware:

You need - Plextor 1610AU105.exe Firmware, size 467,851 bytes.

Plextor W1210A108.exe Firmware, size 545,236 bytes.

Extract the compressed W1210A108.exe file to a temporary folder using WinZip. CAUTION: Don’t open the file, just extract it. Extract the 1610AU105.exe file to another temporary folder.

In the W1210A108 extract folder, delete the Q108.BIN file. Copy the FIRM161A.ROM file from the 1610AU105 extract folder to the W1210A108 extract folder and rename it to FIRM161A.BIN.

Open the PlexFirm.ini file in the W1210A108 extract folder with a text editor and modify it to read as follows:

[UpgradeInformation]
ApplicationTitle=PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1610TA Upgrade
Inquiry=;
FirmWAREFileName=FIRM161A.BIN
Version=1.05
FirmwareFileSize=524288
BUfferSize=16384
[Option]
Use ScsiPassThroughInterface on WinNT=Yes

You can then rename the former W1210A108 extract folder to a name suitable for a TDK 16x firmware upgrade. That’s all.

Disable DMA for the TDK in Device Manager and reboot. Run PXfirm.exe and you should get a selection of devices for the firmware flashing destination. Choose the TDK only.

Since this procedure has worked on the 12x TDK but has not been tested on the 16x, I can’t be sure that it will work or that your burner could not be damaged. Proceed at your own risk.

Whether or not you feel this is worth the risk is up to you. Good luck. Let me know if it works. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]This is something that I did earlier for someone who had a 16x TDK and wanted to use Plextor firmware. It worked for him with v1.04 firmware. I have adapted it to the v1.05 firmware, but it hasn’t been tried yet with that firmware. The v1.05 firmware is not yet on the Plextor Europe site so I have used the file from Plextor USA:

Plextor has changed the firmware installers in their latest firmware, stopping the ability to flash to a rebadged Plextor. Formerly, modifying the PlexFirm.ini file was all that was necessary to allowing flashing rebadged Plextors.

They made this change also in their 12x firmware starting with v1.09. However, using and modifying the v1.08 firmware, I was able to update my 12x TDK (rebadged Plextor) to v1.09 using the Plextor firmware. The following procedure will use the same logic and be adapted for the 16x firmware:

You need - Plextor 1610AU105.exe Firmware, size 467,851 bytes.

Plextor W1210A108.exe Firmware, size 545,236 bytes.

Extract the compressed W1210A108.exe file to a temporary folder using WinZip. CAUTION: Don’t open the file, just extract it. Extract the 1610AU105.exe file to another temporary folder.

In the W1210A108 extract folder, delete the Q108.BIN file. Copy the FIRM161A.ROM file from the 1610AU105 extract folder to the W1210A108 extract folder and rename it to FIRM161A.BIN.

Open the PlexFirm.ini file in the W1210A108 extract folder with a text editor and modify it to read as follows:

[UpgradeInformation]
ApplicationTitle=PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1610TA Upgrade
Inquiry=;
FirmWAREFileName=FIRM161A.BIN
Version=1.05
FirmwareFileSize=524288
BUfferSize=16384
[Option]
Use ScsiPassThroughInterface on WinNT=Yes

You can then rename the former W1210A108 extract folder to a name suitable for a TDK 16x firmware upgrade. That’s all.

Disable DMA for the TDK in Device Manager and reboot. Run PXfirm.exe and you should get a selection of devices for the firmware flashing destination. Choose the TDK only.

Since this procedure has worked on the 12x TDK but has not been tested on the 16x, I can’t be sure that it will work or that your burner could not be damaged. Proceed at your own risk.

Whether or not you feel this is worth the risk is up to you. Good luck. Let me know if it works. :slight_smile: [/B]

You got a PM,please answer!

Thanks a lot for your effort, I like the way your mind works. I’ll react on your suggestion and let you know soon. Thank you.

Thanks a lot for your effort, I like the way your mind works. I’ll react on your suggestion and let you know soon. Thank you.

I think I’ll keep working on that…may be I’ll find out something useful to everybody.

Bye

It’s done under 2 minutes . Thanks. Now I have my TDK running 1.05 firmware. Good Job and thanks again.

You’re very welcome, Sammie. :wink: