TDK Metallic (MoserBaer) vs TDK Gold (CMC)

Hello, everyone! This is my first post here. I’ve been using the TDK CD-R Gold for a while, recently I bought a spindle of these TDK Metallic CD-R80 comes in a tin. I ran thru a few of them using Kprobe, found out they give random results…

TDK metallic CDR-80 is in fact made by MoserBaer India.

For all these tests, I used LiteOn LTR-52327S Firmware QS0C for read/write. The first one I burnt at 52x had no C2 errors.

however here’s the 2nd one…

and 3rd…

It seems to me they give poor readings at the end of the disc, especially around 77:30 - 79 onwards.

and here’s the TDK gold I used…

Most of them had results similar to this…got no C2 errors.

From these results, it looks like quality of those Metallic discs are worse compare to the TDK gold. The Metallic ones give lower C1 error but got higher chances of C2 errors, whereas Gold discs is vice versa.

Later I tried burning at 40x on the Metallic, seemed to be bit better compare to the 2nd result.

For those of you who live in Syd Australia, I suggest not to get these discs…they are packed in tins 50+10 Bonus Pack.

Any one tried these discs? I saw the other thread about Smartburn 48x limit for MoserBaer India, but I burnt the first one at 52 and had no C2 errors. I’m getting confused…

I’m from Perth and I have used both types of discs.

The TDK Golds are CMC and depending on your recorder and the batch of discs, the results can be excellent or horrible. My LTR-32123S didn’t really like them whereas my LTR-52327S (which burns anything that looks vaguely like a disc! :p) didn’t mind them.

The TDK Metallics in the tin burn OK in both drives, although the LTR-52327S still wins burn quality-wise. MBI’s discs are well known for deteriorating with regular use, but then again, so are CMCs…

My recommendation: get TDK 48x discs in the BLUE spindle. They are RiTEK made and burn well in 99% of drives AND they will last. In my LTR-52327S, I get C1 averages <0.3 every time with these discs written at 40x, without fail.

Yeah it seems to me TDK CMC actually work better with LTR-52327S.

About the blue spindle, u mean the TDK spindle with blue dye and white top surface? I hardly see those, the green dye I see a lot. They are more expensive than TDK gold.

Have you tried burning at 52x with those TDK 48x CDRs? If you get good results from 40x only then I will probably lower my burn speed from now.

The blue packaging I was referring to looks like this :-

The discs themselves have a white and silver top with white text and white lines. The writing on the left half of the CD reads “TDK CD-R80 Toughness Coat” and the writing on the right half of the CD reads “700 MB” with a CD-Recordable logo next to it. The discs have a light greeen phthalocyanine dye.

Disc Information:

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 15s 17f
Norminal Capacity = 702.82MB (79m 59s 70f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = RiTEK JS-dye
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 52X

Drive Type = CD-RW    
     Disc Type = CDR
      Material = Phthalocyanine
       Lead In = 97:15:17
      Lead Out = 79:59:70

Nominal Capacity = 702.82MB
Manufacturer Maybe = RiTEK Corporation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 52X (Write)

These discs write very well at any speed and errors do not go up by that much even when written at 52x on my drive, however, YMMV.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD
P.S. To buy these discs cheaply, go to JB Hi-Fi and get 50-pack spindles there for $19.98 - cheaper than TDK Gold!

Thanks mate. That helped a lot. From now on going JB-Hifi its probably better than comp markets for CDRs. lol