TDK, Lite On, MOHAA and SD 2

vbimport

I had a TDK 24x10x40 (X model) and failed at burning MOHAA. Once I read that there were differences between the TDK models, I took mine back and exchanged for a B model (Lite On). I immediately noticed that the tray is a blue color compared to the white of the X model. Also the B model has only one red light compared to the two green lights of the X model. The ROM for the B model is 57S4.

Then I used FutureProof's settings for CLONECD and was able to burn a good copy. My two test CDROM's were a Soundblaster 8x speed CDROM (very sensitive to failed backups) and a ACER 24x. Both of these CDROM's would not play the previous MOHAA backup. But once I switched, no problems.

BTW, COMPUSA has the TDK 24x10x40's (B model) for $109.00.....there is also a $50.00 rebate. So in effect the drive will cost you $59.00. Not bad for that price!

-=AE=-

Thanks for the info. I think it’s a shame actually that some manufacturers release different writers under the same name under their own brand. You never know what you’re actually buying… And on top of that Lite-On writers are known to be cheap and TDK will most likely raise the price even though it’s exactly the same writer with one or two minor differences like a logo on the drive or something.

hi,

I have the same problem i have the tdk velocd161040x and it sucks badly. If i had of known the difference in the 161040 and the 161040x i would have bought the other.

161040 = plextor px-w1610a
161040x= sanyo dont know exact model sanyo and dont really care as it sucks

Originally posted by slayerking
[B]hi,

I have the same problem i have the tdk velocd161040x and it sucks badly. If i had of known the difference in the 161040 and the 161040x i would have bought the other.

161040 = plextor px-w1610a
161040x= sanyo dont know exact model sanyo and dont really care as it sucks [/B]

Agreed…it would have been helpful to know this before my purchase also. Thank god for forums like this. Even if I could not have traded back, I would have bought it anyway at $59.00. The good thing is that they allowed my trade which gave me back enough cash to put together buying a Geforce4…LOL

-=AE=-

Agreed…

im thinking of writing cd’s for 24 hours straight so the drive stuffs up and getting it replaced under the extended warranty i got with it. they wont be able to rewplace it with the same model so they will have to give me a new one haha…:smiley:

If you guys want to know the TDK velocd 24x10x40B model is a rebadged Lite-On LTR-24102B

Wow … LiteOn at that price ? 59 $ that’s a realy good deal … I payed 110$ for my LiteOn … ,but then again I live in Norway and here you have to pay TAXES on EVERYTHING :mad: … I MEEN EVERYTHING :mad: … I could wite a BOOK on all the TAXES that they have come up with …

Originally posted by slayerking
[B]

im thinking of writing cd’s for 24 hours straight so the drive stuffs up and getting it replaced under the extended warranty i got with it. they wont be able to rewplace it with the same model so they will have to give me a new one haha…:smiley: [/B]

I like the way you think! I knew I had a twin somewhere on this planet :slight_smile:

-=AE=-

Originally posted by KickF
Wow … LiteOn at that price ? 59 $ that’s a realy good deal … I payed 110$ for my LiteOn … ,but then again I live in Norway and here you have to pay TAXES on EVERYTHING :mad: … I MEEN EVERYTHING :mad: … I could wite a BOOK on all the TAXES that they have come up with …

Yeah, I visited a friend their a few years back. Good God…even the fast food was outrageous! To bad I can’t get past customs, I would ship you one!

-=AE=-

So is there any way to copy mohaa without having “hide cdr media” option enabled ? Because that would be like running daemon tools…:confused:

Originally posted by maxspeed
So is there any way to copy mohaa without having “hide cdr media” option enabled ? Because that would be like running daemon tools…
Yes - play it from a CD/DVD-ROM or fully non-MMC compliant writer like the TEAC 5x series.

what is fully non-MMC writers?
can you make a list of it??? :slight_smile:

Olli’s FAQ

non-MMC compliant writers…“Here is a list of CD-Burners, and the chance, that they will be supported:” (hehe)