Tdk Dvd-r

I finally got myself a dvd burner, a pioneer 106 and have been up to some dvd testing. The most common dvd-r ive come across is the tdk dvd-r’s. they seem to work well but it also seems that they vary in manufacturer depeding on what version they are eg. 4x DVD+R-R etc etc. so i ran dvd identifier and this is what i got:

TDK 4.7GB DVD-R
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MXL RG01]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [MXL RG01]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x - (2x)]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

TDK 4.7GB DVD+R

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-02]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [R01]
Product Revision : [02]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]

TDK 4.7GB DVD+RW

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+RW:MCC-A01-00]

Disc Type : [DVD+RW]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [A01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]

TDK 4.7GB DVD-R 4x
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG01]

Manufacturer ID : [TYG01]
Recording Speeds : [1x - 2x - 4x]

So basically from educated guessing I’d guess that:

DVD-R= maxell
DVD-R 4x= taiyo yuden
DVD+R= ricoh
DVD+RW= mitsubishi

is that right? anyway, which DVD-R do you think is the best there?

Originally posted by cd pirate

DVD-R= maxell
DVD-R 4x= taiyo yuden
DVD+R= ricoh
DVD+RW= mitsubishi

is that right? anyway, which DVD-R do you think is the best there?
That’s correct. Definitely TY ( well, @least for me, 'coz they work flawlessly :wink: ).

excellent. i’ll be getting more once i run out of them:bigsmile:

Funny…all the TDK 2x DVD-R’s I have ever bought here in WA have always been identified as TDKG020000!!

Originally posted by terminalvelocd

Funny…all the TDK 2x DVD-R’s I have ever bought here in WA have always been identified as TDKG020000!!
Life’s full of surprises. :bigsmile:

The TDK DVD-R’s are total crap. The Maxell 2x DVD-R (Hitachi made in Japan) are very good, they rival the TY but are limited to 2x.

@rdgrimes: are mine maxell? they say made in japan on them and identifier says: Manufacturer ID : [MXL RG01].

@terminalvelocd: the 2x TDK i have do not say 2x on them. they dont state any speed at all but thet do burn up to 2x. the 4x ones do state the speed. do you have any pics of the jewel cases? that way i can tell u if mine look the same.

@cd pirate:

Mine look like this:

Originally posted by cd pirate
@rdgrimes: are mine maxell? they say made in japan on them and identifier says: Manufacturer ID : [MXL RG01].

all you have to do is search the test forum with the media code to see what they are.
Yes, those are Hitachi-Maxell.

Thanks rdgrimes

@terminal: Those are exactly the same as mine. do yours say made in japan on the back?

Yup, they say Made in Japan on the back.

Also, the cellophane wrapping has the word “OPEN” where you’re supposed to tear it open.

shite. that means there is absolutely no way to know whether they are maxell or TDK manufactured without buying them…hopefully all the ones here in SA will remain maxell made becuase they seem to work pretty damn good.

i did some kprobe testing with them also. with my 165h dvdrom. they usually have an average of 6.5 PI and .6 PO. is that good? i read the specs in the DVD media tests section and going by its guidelines, it is meant to be a good result.

Originally posted by terminalvelocd
[B]@cd pirate:

Mine look like this:

[/B]

Hey terminalvelocd, how much do you pay for those TDK’s.

$3.59 each at JB Hi-Fi.

The product code, btw, is DVD-R47EA.

Also, I might add, they come in very nice jewel cases with the DVD Forum logos around the sides. The edges of the case are rounded and not squared-off. The cased used with the Maxell discs that I have ($21.00 per 5-pack at JB Hi-Fi) have the squared-off edges and DVD Forum logos ONLY on the disc tray itself.

mine cost $22.78 for a 5 pack at Dick Smith Electronics.

TDK-branded TDKG02 discs made in Japan appear to be quite good (K-Probe scan @ 4x, ECC Sum8 is attached below). Whereas some KHypermedia-branded TDKG02 discs made in Taiwan really sucked.

Product code is DVD-R47A. Jewel cases fits terminalvelocd’s description exactly, but the front cover insert is completely different and has “up to 2x compatible” printed on it.

P.S. rdgrimes - were your crap TDK-branded TDKG02 discs made in Taiwan or Japan? I’m wondering whether all Taiwanese-made TDKG02 discs are using fake media code, or whether TDK does make DVD-Rs in Taiwan.

TDK, like Maxell, doesn’t manufacture DVD-R/RWs outside of Japan. The Taiwan-made “TDKG02” discs must have a faked manufacturer’s ID.

The scan I posted above is pretty much the worst I’ve gotten with these discs so far. So I’d say they’re definitely top-notch.

Are you getting similar results with the real TDKG02 discs?

i get an average of about 6.5 PI every time with the maxell discs, every time. they are very consistent. and i always get .6 for PO on every disc i burn. no matter what the brand or burn speed!

BTW, i scan with my liteon 165h dvdrom so my results could be very different if i scaned with a liteon dvdburner.

I have the exact same tdk discs, same drive but im getting 1.6-2x speed with the buffer constantly fluctuating. Strange because the tdk dvd-rw write 2x without the buffer fluctuating (Nero 6 +regedit).
So are these discs crap or have i got a different problem.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG01]

Manufacturer ID : [TYG01]
Recording Speeds : [1x - 2x - 4x]