TDK DVD-R & +R 16x 4.7 GB

vbimport

I used to use TDK DVD-R, 16x, 4.7 GB blank discs to convert/burn movies from my computer. They always worked fine. They were a bit dark matte silver in color. I can’t recall where I bought them, perhaps Future Shop or Best Buy, they came in a 100 spindle.

When I finished them, I purchased the same (above) at Costco, only difference was the color was more pearl white/blue in color. I tried the procedure on both DVD-R and DVD+R, (I bought both + and -). The minus could not play on my DVD player, the + could, but the movie skipped and froze throughout.

I didn’t know what the problem was, and movies were playing ok before. I thought the player might be dirty, however that wasn’t the case. I thought it might be a particular bad movie that I downloaded, but I tried the procedure on 4 different movies and got the same results.

I got a a blank DVD -R disc 16x (no name brand) from a friend and the movie turned out ok.

Is there a difference between TDK discs? The only difference as I mentioned was the color, all other specs were the same.

I can’t figure this out. As it stands, the TDK’s from Costco are not compatible with my player.

I have a Pioneer DVR-450H-S, which also tapes TV programs to the HD, along with playing DVD’s.

Any light you can shed on this would be great.

Thanks

As the Blank DVD Media Tests forum is for test results only, I’ve moved this thread to our main Blank Media forum, for further discussion :slight_smile:

The difference in your TDK discs, apart from the look, is most probably down to manufacturer - since TDK discs can be made by any one of about half a dozen companies.

If you have Nero installed, you’ll find DiscSpeed (or CD-DVDSpeed) in the Toolkit - run that with one of the new TDKs in your drive, go to the Disc Info tab, and it will tell you the mabufacturer, as well as the MID (Manufacturer or Media ID).

Alternatively, you can download and run DVDIdentifier, or Opti Drive Control, which will give you the same info. Try them with one of the old, and one of the new TDKs, and see if the manufacturers are different. :slight_smile:

More recent TDK’s (with the light blue tops) are generally MBI MID’s, where the older discs where generally TDK/TTH or CMC MID’s.

What burner are you using? There is a chance that your burner does not have correct firmware support for the newer discs.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2496027]As the Blank DVD Media Tests forum is for test results only, I’ve moved this thread to our main Blank Media forum, for further discussion :slight_smile:

The difference in your TDK discs, apart from the look, is most probably down to manufacturer - since TDK discs can be made by any one of about half a dozen companies.

If you have Nero installed, you’ll find DiscSpeed (or CD-DVDSpeed) in the Toolkit - run that with one of the new TDKs in your drive, go to the Disc Info tab, and it will tell you the mabufacturer, as well as the [B]MID[/B] (Manufacturer or Media ID).

Alternatively, you can download and run DVDIdentifier, or Opti Drive Control, which will give you the same info. Try them with one of the old, and one of the new TDKs, and see if the manufacturers are different. :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Arachne - sorry I posted in wrong forum, and I had read the rules as well, it was all so overwhelming. Thank you for you advice and tips. I don’t have a blank disc from the old batch though.

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2496128]More recent TDK’s (with the light blue tops) are generally MBI MID’s, where the older discs where generally TDK/TTH or CMC MID’s.

What burner are you using? There is a chance that your burner does not have correct firmware support for the newer discs.[/QUOTE]

Ok, this is embarassing, I don’t know what burner I have, my computer was a gift a year ago, to me it’s new, but I guess in the tech world, it’s old …LOL
I hope this helps, I tried to insert the link on the top icon but I got this …

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01553736&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_ca/c01553736/loc:5&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ca&lang=en&product=3809083

[QUOTE=dragon888;2496203]Ok, this is embarassing, I don’t know what burner I have, my computer was a gift a year ago, to me it’s new, but I guess in the tech world, it’s old …LOL
I hope this helps, I tried to insert the link on the top icon but I got this …

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01553736&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_ca/c01553736/loc:5&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ca&lang=en&product=3809083[/QUOTE]

You should be able to find out the burner brand and model from the program you use for burning. There should be somewhere in to options listing available drives to burn to. Alternatively, download imgburn http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download (safe and highly recommended burning program) and it will list the drive in there in the drop down box. (see image)

As you system is only a couple of years old, your drive should be capable of burning these discs successfully, but it may just need a firmware update to give the correct write strategy for the discs. If we find out the drive brand and model, we will be able to advise on any updates that are available.

Hi again, I called HP and my burner specs are:

16x DVD Rewriteable Light Scribe
15 in 1 4 slot

This is all the rep told me, I don’t understand the last part though.

I also googled and found these specs:

With the HP Pavilion A6602F desktop PC, you get an Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics card and a [B][U]16x SuperMulti DVD RW DL drive with Lightscribe technology.[/U][/B]
The A6602F also offers an AMD Phenom X3 8550 2.2GHz Triple Core processor, an impressive 4GB of DDR2 SDRAM, as well as a SATA hard drive with a 640GB capacity and comes complete pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition.

[QUOTE=dragon888;2496474]Hi again, I called HP and my burner specs are:

16x DVD Rewriteable Light Scribe
15 in 1 4 slot

This is all the rep told me, I don’t understand the last part though.

I also googled and found these specs:

With the HP Pavilion A6602F desktop PC, you get an Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics card and a [B][U]16x SuperMulti DVD RW DL drive with Lightscribe technology.[/U][/B]
The A6602F also offers an AMD Phenom X3 8550 2.2GHz Triple Core processor, an impressive 4GB of DDR2 SDRAM, as well as a SATA hard drive with a 640GB capacity and comes complete pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition.[/QUOTE]

That information is not enough to determine the problem. We need the proper drive name and description to help you further. (can be found with the details I posted above)

[QUOTE=dragon888;2496202]Hi Arachne - sorry I posted in wrong forum, and I had read the rules as well, it was all so overwhelming. Thank you for you advice and tips. I don’t have a blank disc from the old batch though.[/QUOTE]

No worries at all :)…if you follow all jubjubbird’s advice, you should be sorted in no time :slight_smile: - as suggested, all you may need is a firmware update (which you may have to get from the HP site if it’s HP firmware).

You can also find your drive model in Device Manager, under CD/DVD Drives.

Is this what you require:
TSST corp CDDVDW TS-H653Q SCSI CdRom Device
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: June 21, 2006
Driver Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Digital Signer: Microsoft windows

You need better dvd media, TDK is known as crappy.

Get Verbatims.

[QUOTE=dragon888;2497320]Is this what you require:
TSST corp CDDVDW TS-H653Q SCSI CdRom Device
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: June 21, 2006
Driver Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Digital Signer: Microsoft windows[/QUOTE]

Almost, it does give us the burner make and model (TSSTcorp TS-653Q), but not the current firmware. See jubjubbird’s ImgBurn screen shot, where it says Plextor PX-760A? The 1.07 after it refers to the drive’s firmware - that’s what we need for your TSST/Samsung drive.

Before recommending a specific firmware update, we need to know if it’s TSST (Samsung) firmware on it, or HP’s own firmware. :slight_smile:

EDIT: I just realised I have the same drive in my other Dell (albeit with a different last letter, mine’s the 653F). Your drive is a Samsung SH-S223Q in disguise. :wink:

Am I downloading Mirror 1 on your Imageburn link?
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Ok, here it is:

0303 (RAID)

[QUOTE=dragon888;2497615]Ok, here it is:

0303 (RAID)[/QUOTE]

That would be the crappy nForce chipset SATA drivers at work. Some people just call the nForce series chipsets “nCrap.” The nForce chipset SATA RAID drivers have been known to cause issues with optical drives. What’s more, they had already been preinstalled at HP, so there’s very little that you can do about it without voiding the factory warranty.

Ok, so the issue is my burner. I have found certain DVD’s work in my burner so I’ll go that route now, rather than buy a new burner.
Thank you

Strange thing is that TDK used to work and now they don’t. Memorex and no name brands work fine.

[QUOTE=dragon888;2497688]Ok, so the issue is my burner. I have found certain DVD’s work in my burner so I’ll go that route now, rather than buy a new burner.
Thank you

Strange thing is that TDK used to work and now they don’t. Memorex and no name brands work fine.[/QUOTE]

What I stated has more to do with driver software and motherboard chipset than your burner. SATA burners, in particular, have compatibility issues with the SATA RAID/AHCI drivers of certain brands of motherboard chipsets. And with the nForce chipset, you cannot have AHCI without also having RAID. What the software driver does is want to create a software RAID with your system’s boot hard drive on its own. And I have definitely known that optical drives technically do not support RAID at all (most newer-design optical drives support AHCI but not RAID). This interaction “messes up” some of the functions of any optical drives connected to the SATA ports. With your system the only way to “fix” this would be to completely uninstall the nForce SATA drivers and revert to the “default” Microsoft ATA drivers for the SATA controller (the performance of your system’s main hard drive might suffer slightly, but your burner will work more reliably).

And TDK is actually now under the same ownership umbrella as Memorex. Both are owned by Imation. However, the Imation group of brands get their media from at least three different sources: CMC, RiTEK and (occasionally) Moser Baer. The TDKs from Costco might have come from Moser Baer while most TDKs that I’ve seen from OfficeMAX and Office Depot are either CMC or RiTEK (yes, even in the newest packaging). The Moser Baer MIDs are generally not as compatible with as many burners as either the CMC or RiTEK MIDs for single-layer DVD media.

Hi RJL65 - thank you for the detailed reply. To be honest, I don’t understand the info you gave me … I’m a bit technically challenged, but will copy and paste it for my husband.

I have found DVD’s that work for me, so I’ll just buy more and use them for now.

Thanks again.