TDK DVD+R identified as CMC MAG-MO1?

Many of you were nice enough to help me and my hubby a few weeks ago, so I am posting again.

We are still waiting on the store getting in more Verbatim discs, but in the meantime, hubby bought what he thought were ok TDK discs at Costco and when I just scanned them with the DVD program, this is what I got:

CMC MAG-M01

I know based on the Digital FAQ website that these discs are crap. This is the same code as some Maxell discs that we have that are basically coasters now as well (hubby bought like 100 of them!). I am confused as to why these TDK discs aren’t made by TDK? I guess there are only a handful of factories that are making discs and branding them for different companies? How in the world then does one get the right discs?

These are from Costco and can be returned, but if I had bought these at another store, we would have been out this money. :frowning:

Now I’m worried that the Verbatim discs might not be the right ones either. Thank goodness for the DVD identifier program, but I am now more confused than ever!

Thanks in advance, Tiger :confused:

TDK no longer make their own media. TDK sold their optical media division to Imation, and like Imation and Memorex (now also owned by Imation) they use various media manufactured by different companies and branded as TDK.

CMC MAG M01 can be good, but it’s very variable media and can also be really bad. I’d stay away from it when possible. Now that you have it, you can either check whether you’re lucky to have a good batch, or return it at the store if possible.

Verbatim 16x DVD+R in North America has always been MCC 004 so far, which is some of the best media out there and my personal favourite.

Thanks, that’s very good info. They are going back for sure!

Tiger :slight_smile:

Keep in mind that the Digital FAQ site is inaccurate and outdated, and IMO does not contain enough relevant information (coaster rate only) to rate media as good or bad.

I agree on the Verbatim though, it’s some great media :slight_smile:
(I [I]personally[/I] prefer the Taiwanese ones over the ones that are Made in India. Before I get a beating I better say that it’s just my personal quirk.)

These TDK you mention must be 16x DVD+R, as the 8x DVD+R are typically CMC-MAG E01. For a short time there, TDK did make it’s own media, a mid starting with TTH. However, while it could be bought in limited quantities in places on the East Coast (IIRC) in the US, that was quite a while ago now.

The only way to know about the mids you might get is to go into the appropriate threads here, where people will name the brand names and speeds of the media they’ve bought, and what the mids actually are. For example, Fuji used to have 8x DVD+R/-R that Taiyo Yuden actually made, the +R being y000t02-00 and the -r being tyg02. These were made in Japan and were really cheap but great quality. Sony DVD+R Made in Japan (MIJ for short) used to be made by Taiyo Yuden (TY for short), but since over a year ago, that stopped being true that both Sony and Fuji were still actually TY.

The fact is many companies switched their production to Taiwan for lower costs, so there’s a lot of Made in Taiwan (MIT) out there, and some Manufactuer IDs (mids for short) are better than others. Also, some burners burn certain mids better than others. All you can do is read up on the burner you have here, as well as what the brand names really are in terms of mids…and go from there.

Just some trivia to go along with buying TDK-branded media.

TDK’s +R MIDs start with TDK; -R start with TTG or TTH. :wink: Examples: TDK 002, TDK 003, TTG01, TTG02, TTH01, TTH02.

Some batches of TDK’s MIT media has these MIDs, although they are produced by others [like CMC] using the TDK MIDs. Example: You buy TDK media Made in Taiwan, and the MID is TTH02. This is most likely made by CMC for TDK.

Some of these MIT discs [with the TTH/TDK codes] aren’t very reliable, and degrade fairly rapidly over time. But the media with CMC codes seem to be okay. :flower:

I have some magnavox CMC MAG M01, but I think it is pretty low quality media, Ionly use it for overspeed tests with nero cd speed that’s all I see fit to do with this low quality media. :Z

From what I have gathered on the forum it is good practice to try to get (If you like TDK) CMC MAG E01.

on the TTH mids, what I was referring to (but forgot to include) was that for a short time the TDK media made in Luxemborg was what could be had in the states for a short time, and it was TDK made and of good quality. However, I never saw any of those around here, and my only TDK purchase (aside from the CD-R) was DVD+R 8x, which were CMC-MAG E01.

[QUOTE=Quema34;1964586]on the TTH mids, what I was referring to (but forgot to include) was that for a short time the TDK media made in Luxemborg was what could be had in the states for a short time, and it was TDK made and of good quality. However, I never saw any of those around here, and my only TDK purchase (aside from the CD-R) was DVD+R 8x, which were CMC-MAG E01.[/QUOTE]

Is it possible to find true TDK media, TDG02, TDH02, TDK502, TDK003 ??

It was for a time, but that was ~ 1 1/2 years ago regarding the event I was referring to. You could try keeping your eye out for specials posted in the CDFreaks Bargain Basement, since they will list the brand name and the mid in question, but most TDK purchases that people have listed there were something like the 8x DVD+R which was CMC-MAG-E01. If true TDK stuff is around, it’s probably limited in supply and not easy to find.

I have used TDK off and on with no problems, only when on sale is when I buy TDK.