TDK DVD+R DL quality

Hi, I found a 25-pk of TDK DVD+R DL for 29.99 which is a pretty good deal for Double Layer discs, but I’m wondering what the quality of these discs are in comparison to verbatim, sony or TY? Thanks.

Sampalmer, I am unfamiliar with these disks personally, but in my experience with TDK, they can possibly have a CMC MAG mid, which means the mid on that you have could be CMC MAG D01 or D04. If that’s the case (use Nero CD-DVD Speed to identify the mid, by popping in a blank disc with the program open), you can check here to get an idea of the burn quality is possible. By the way, you can check the Blank Media forum for postings on specific mids and see burn quality graphs there, to get an idea how certain media may burn on certain burners at different speeds.

[QUOTE=Quema34;1954758]Sampalmer, I am unfamiliar with these disks personally, but in my experience with TDK, they can possibly have a CMC MAG mid, which means the mid on that you have could be CMC MAG D01 or D04.[/QUOTE]

It is possible, but extremely rare. More likely, the major brands except Verbatim and H-P get most of their double-layer DVD+R discs from Ritek, with either Ritek or Ricoh codes.

I bought that pack last time their were on sale. Mine are RICOHJPN D01, not sure if all packs will be the same MID.

They are lower quality then Verbatim, but still usable.

Usable, yes, but anything Ritek that’s not a CD flavor is suspect for longevity. :doh: If those TDK DL are Ritek, then they should be avoided for peace of mind.

I too have used these TDK DL’s when on sale, so far no coasters!

[QUOTE=sampalmer21;1954723]Hi, I found a 25-pk of TDK DVD+R DL for 29.99 which is a pretty good deal for Double Layer discs, but I’m wondering what the quality of these discs are in comparison to verbatim, sony or TY? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I purchased 2 25 disk cakeboxes from newegg.com; I am unable to get verifiable burns with them. CD-DVD speed reports the MID to be CMC MAG D02(000). The coasters all fail verify at the edge of the first layer. The firmware for the 3550a is 1.07

Hello Tahoe55,

Same thing here with the same package. After two coasters I took it back to the store.

The disks were RITEK-D01-01.
I used Pioneer DVR-108.

Regards,
Roma

WinXP Pro, AMD Athlon XP 2500+, 1 GB DDR, 160 GB HD - main, 160 GB HD – second, 120 GB external HD, LG CD-RW GCE-8481B, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108

[QUOTE=Roma;1958221]Same thing here with the same package. After two coasters I took it back to the store.

The disks were RITEK-D01-01.
I used Pioneer DVR-108.[/QUOTE]

I had a DVR-108. It does not support any of the newer media well. It can’t even set the book type for DVD+R – single- or double-layer; it stays permanently stuck on the default DVD+R booktype or the default DVD+R DL booktype (at least with Pioneer’s official firmware). That drive even produced burns on single-layer YUDEN000 T02 8x DVD+R which occasionally skipped on my standalone DVD players.

It’s simply time for you to get a newer burner.

[QUOTE=RJL65;1958321]I had a DVR-108. [B]It does not support any of the newer media well. It can’t even set the book type for DVD+R – single- or double-layer; it stays permanently stuck on the default DVD+R booktype or the default DVD+R DL booktype (at least with Pioneer’s official firmware).[/B] That drive even produced burns on single-layer YUDEN000 T02 8x DVD+R which occasionally skipped on my standalone DVD players.

It’s simply time for you to get a newer burner.[/QUOTE]

This info is wrong.
ALL DL capable Pioneer dvd burners will set DVD+R DL media automatically to DVD-ROM booktype, always and ever! Also there is Piodata firmware which additionally sets DVD+R media to DVD-ROM booktype by default.

Fact is, that DL media used (The disks were RITEK-D01-01.) is pure crap!!

[QUOTE=chef;1958353]This info is wrong.
ALL DL capable Pioneer dvd burners will set DVD+R DL media automatically to DVD-ROM booktype, always and ever! Also there is Piodata firmware which additionally sets DVD+R media to DVD-ROM booktype by default.

Fact is, that DL media used (The disks were RITEK-D01-01.) is pure crap!![/QUOTE]

I never knew this – because I never bothered to even check the book type on the discs which I had burned on that unit.

Some posts moved to a new thread:

[B]My experience with Verbatim & Memorex DVD+R DL[/B]

Just bought some TDK DVD+R DL on Black Friday, 50 pack for $30. I burned a game to see if they work ok. The game installed and plays fine with no errors. Hopefully it won’t have degrading problems.