TDK DVD+R As Good ... Verbatim?

I just missed getting 100 pack Verbatim DVD+R at Officemax for $25 plus tax:sad: … just as I got there some clown grab all that were left :a… so I had to take a substitute of the TDK 16X DVD+R:disagree: … are they are good as Verbatim … I looked through the forum but could find no definite answer … at least one I could understand … :o

Feedback please … :iagree::clap::bow:

No! They can be good, OK, or bad, depending on the MID.

Being DVD+R I hope you haven’t got CMC MAG M01…

Hi … :flower: thanks for posting … :iagree: … how can I tell ?.. they were made in Taiwan … :confused:

Follow the instructions on this post: http://club.cdfreaks.com/580276-post3.html

You probably have CMC MAG M01. If you’re lucky, you have a good batch. I’d try a burn at 12x, and see if it works for you. I wouldn’t have my hopes up to use them for anything other than the average daily data copy or something simple. They’re not very good for compatibility most of the time, and [if you have a bad batch] they’re not that reliable for long-term data backup.

Nice find with that link, Albert :wink:

I’ve had a fair few CMC MAG M01s (TDK and Infiniti branded), and found with all my burners, 8x was a nice sweet spot. As Albert suggests, try 12x first though, you might get lucky :slight_smile:

Ah TDK003 is worse than M01 I believe.

Thanks for the input … I was hoping I could figure out who makes them without opening them … so I could take them back if need be … but If I take the chance … use them to backup movies … I’ll be stuck once they are open …

[QUOTE=spirittoo;2024566]Hi … :flower: thanks for posting … :iagree: … how can I tell ?.. they were made in Taiwan … :confused:[/QUOTE]

The TDK-branded DVD+R discs made in Taiwan could be made by either CMC or Ritek. The CMC-made discs may have CMC MAG M01 or TDK003 codes; the Ritek-made discs have RITEK R05 or RICOHJPN R03 codes. You can tell if it’s CMC or Ritek by feeling the edge of the top of the cakebox. CMC cakeboxes have a sharp lip, while Ritek’s cakeboxes have a beveled lip.

I don’t know about the U.S. but in Europe there’s also TDK003 by Prodisc (Made in Taiwan) and by FTI (Made in UAE), which can both burn surprisingly well. (Then there’s also TDK003 by Moser Baer (Made in India), an older spindle of which didn’t impress me too much - I haven’t tried any recently.)

Of course good MCC004 remains the reference but I feel the gap between Verbatim and TDK has narrowed lately. Both are made by much the same manufacturers and we’ve seen plenty of lesser Verbatim batches (think of PAP6/MAP6 for example) as well.

Sorry to add to the confusion spirittoo, but examining the cakebox shape and details will tell you something for sure. Highest probability is you have the straight edge on top with CMC MAG M01 inside, which isn’t too desirable as mentioned by others already.

Boy is that thw truth eh, Cressida? I have had some really inconsistant batches of MCC004.:o

[QUOTE=spirittoo;2024542]I just missed getting 100 pack Verbatim DVD+R at Officemax for $25 plus tax:sad: … just as I got there [B]some clown grab all that were left :a[/B]… so I had to take a substitute of the TDK 16X DVD+R:disagree: … are they are good as Verbatim … I looked through the forum but could find no definite answer … at least one I could understand … :o

Feedback please … :iagree::clap::bow:[/QUOTE]

Propably a fellow cdfreak , I wouldn’t call him a clown :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=minaelromany;2024669]Propably a fellow cdfreak , I wouldn’t call him a clown :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Yes, at my local OM, I picked up the last MIT 100-pack of Verbatim DVD+R discs. Despite the Sans-Serif font on the cakebox lid (which usually signifies Prodisc-made discs), the discs contained within are actually CMC-made PAP6 discs. When burnt at my customary speed of 8x in my Samsung SATA burner, the PAP6 discs actually had lower PI errors and jitter but more numerous PIFs compared to most of my PAPA discs that were burnt at the same speed in the same burner. You win some, you lose some.

After that, the rest of the 100-packs are all MII packages (at least for the duration of this sale).

Well the consensus seem to be TDK DVD+R X16 in Taiwan aren’t any good … plus I saw from an old post that when these go on sale OM sells them for $20 … I think I will see if they put them on sale … I need more disc and can’t afford the regular price … it they do then I will at least get $5 more off the price I paid …

[QUOTE=minaelromany;2024669]Propably a fellow cdfreak , I wouldn’t call him a clown :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I would if he/she nicked all the MCC004 off the shelf :a :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2024991]I would if he/she nicked all the MCC004 off the shelf :a :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

No , I’d rather call him a “quicker” cdfreak :stuck_out_tongue:

The SOB took them all though … 5 of them … :a

[QUOTE=minaelromany;2025073]No , I’d rather call him a “quicker” cdfreak :p[/QUOTE]

Ah yes but I love my MCC004…LOL. Now if it was -R, that’s another story :wink:

i love verb -r :o

[QUOTE=spirittoo;2025078]The SOB took them all though … 5 of them … :a[/QUOTE]

Please :frowning:

You had the chance and you wasted it :stuck_out_tongue: and who knows , he may have got some bad MCC004s :wink:

[QUOTE=marcus_667;2025131]i love verb -r :o[/QUOTE]

I love Mine too :iagree:

[QUOTE=minaelromany;2025198]You had the chance and you wasted it :stuck_out_tongue: and who knows , he may have got some bad MCC004s ;)[/QUOTE]

By that time, that m@$#%!f@?&er would likely have gotten five packs of MII MCC004s.