TDK DVD+R 4x - RICOHJPN Made in Japan (not RiTEK?) - Found In Canada

vbimport

#1

The following is news to me…

I was at Costco today in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada and was wading through spindles and more spindles spindles of 15pc 4X TDK DVD+R Made in Taiwan.

But what’s this? There’s another pile of DVD+R spindles behind these ones! MADE IN JAPAN!! I scooped up four of these spindles and guess what?

Manufacturer ID: RICOHJPN
Media ID: R01
Product Revision: 02
Model: DVD+R47CCB15TP

There you have it. 15 pc RICOHJPN spindles for CDN$33 at Costco. Just make sure you look carefully because most of them say “Made in Taiwan.”

Since they’re not made in Taiwan, does that mean that these are actually made by Ricoh and not RiTEK?

===========

DVDInfo Sez…

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR01
Format Capacity Blank
Free Blocks 405405696
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Linear Density Blank Disc
Track Density Unknown
Number of Layers 1


#2

Nobody really knows what these are, or whether they’re made by Ricoh or Maxell. Since Maxell has thus far only made DVD-R, it’s up in the air, but Ricoh does have some sort of factory in Japan, or so I hear. Some Kprobe scans would be nice. :wink:


#3

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Nobody really knows what these are, or whether they’re made by Ricoh or Maxell. Since Maxell has thus far only made DVD-R, it’s up in the air, but Ricoh does have some sort of factory in Japan, or so I hear. Some Kprobe scans would be nice. :wink:

If I had a lite-on drive I would happily provide K-Probe scans.

But alas, I don’t think my Plextor 708 supports that.


#4

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Nobody really knows what these are, or whether they’re made by Ricoh or Maxell. Since Maxell has thus far only made DVD-R, it’s up in the air, but Ricoh does have some sort of factory in Japan, or so I hear. Some Kprobe scans would be nice. :wink:

Maxell have made (and should still be making) some DVD+R’s, but they are REALLY hard to find.

Any serialnumbers on those discs that you may post here? Maybe that will tell us something.


#5

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Maxell have made (and should still be making) some DVD+R’s, but they are REALLY hard to find.

Any serialnumbers on those discs that you may post here? Maybe that will tell us something. [/B]

That’s good to know about Maxell.

I grabbed one of these mystery-TDK DVD+R discs and I can see the following numbers on the inner ring:

K3C00839C101RS3120501B03102 (readable from the top)

D1109A51604R (readable from the bottom)

I should also mention the following: The “Made in Japan” label was actually a sticker with the UPC code which was attached to the main label on the spindle. Some of the stickers had “Made in Taiwan” but I did not buy any of those. On ALL of the spindles, under the sticker, they said “Made in Taiwan,” even if the sticker said “Made in Japan.” Basically the sticker is not so thick so you can see through it if you look closely.

Just thought I’d mention that.


#6

Still seems like a normal Taiwanese Ritek manufactured Ricoh disc to me. (That Made in Japan sticker must be incorrect).

If you care to know: That particular disc was made 5. December 2003 :wink:


#7

Originally posted by OC-Freak
Still seems like a normal Taiwanese Ritek manufactured Ricoh disc to me. (That Made in Japan sticker must be incorrect).

Is that assertion based on the serial number or on my story about the sticker?


#8

Mostly the serialnumber, but the confirmation was the sticker…


#9

Originally posted by OC-Freak
Mostly the serialnumber, but the confirmation was the sticker…

I’m not too sure about the sticker confirmation myself.

The fact that SOME of the stickers say “Made in Taiwan” indicates that someone deliberately went to the trouble to made stickers that say “Made in Japan” and translate it into 3 languages.

You don’t go to that trouble for no reason.


#10

I bought some of these COSTCO TDK made in Japan/Taiwan DVD+R media back more than a month ago. The are the worst burning media I have bought so far. I can go by the COSTCO right now and dig through their stack and find many cakes of the relabled Taiwan disc. They are rubbish on both my Plextor 708a and my LiteOn 451@851. The new LiteOn firmware did show some improved burns. I will stick to the Maxell branded DVD+R from Office Depot.


#11

Originally posted by OC-Freak
Mostly the serialnumber, but the confirmation was the sticker…

In the USA, it’s against federal law to deliberately mis-label where a product is made, which is why they went to the trouble of putting the stickers on. If it says’s Japan, then it was at least assembled in Japan. TDK does the same re-label with the DVD-R that’s made by Maxell.


#12

Originally posted by rdgrimes
In the USA, it’s against federal law to deliberately mis-label where a product is made, which is why they went to the trouble of putting the stickers on. If it says’s Japan, then it was at least assembled in Japan. TDK does the same re-label with the DVD-R that’s made by Maxell.

I do believe that this is the case for Canada as well.


#13

Originally posted by dlathem
I bought some of these COSTCO TDK made in Japan/Taiwan DVD+R media back more than a month ago. The are the worst burning media I have bought so far. I can go by the COSTCO right now and dig through their stack and find many cakes of the relabled Taiwan disc. They are rubbish on both my Plextor 708a and my LiteOn 451@851. The new LiteOn firmware did show some improved burns. I will stick to the Maxell branded DVD+R from Office Depot.

Are these the “Made in Taiwan” maxell DVD+R, or are there some “Made in Japan” ones that I have not seen?


#14

The cake I bought had a made in Japan sticker placed over the made in Taiwan label. I assume they were made in Japan, but then again perhaps not. I know there are laws about labeling, but there are laws against other kinds of fraud that happen all the time.

All I know is that I will not be buying any more of them.


#15

Should I be worried if my PX-708A makes a bit of a noise when I put one of these discs into it? It sounded sort of like a seek noise on a floppy drive. I’ve never used DVD+R before so I don’t know.

Nevertheless, it burned just fine at 4X.

When I put the disc into my Pioneer 106 DVD-ROM, there were definitely loud and strange noises, but then again that drive does not support DVD+R…


#16

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus
Manufacturer ID: RICOHJPN
Media ID: R01
Product Revision: 02
Model: DVD+R47CCB15TP

There you have it. 15 pc RICOHJPN spindles for CDN$33 at Costco. Just make sure you look carefully because most of them say “Made in Taiwan.”

Check out http://www.blankmedia.ca/ and particularly their pricing on Arita 4X DVD+R media… $140 Cdn for 100 pieces! I have a Lite-On LDW-811S burner, and the burn unbelieveably well even at 8X (hopefully my KProbe results attached correctly).

                        Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR01
Format Capacity 4.34GB(4.66GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 6.0x 8310KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 22B5EFh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

08 02 00 00 A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 25 B5 EF …%…
00 00 00 00 00 00 01 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E 52 …RICOHJPNR
30 31 02 38 23 54 37 09 00 3C 67 00 AC 62 16 18 01.8#T7…<g…b…
0B 0B 0A 0B 01 19 1B 0B 0B 0E 0F 01 00 00 00 00 …


#17

Whoops, guess the image upload feature is still busted here, so I’ll do it this way instead:

Now that’s a sweet burn, considering it is done at 8X on 4X media. :smiley:


#18

Taob you rock! :bow: :bigsmile:


#19

I also got good scans with TDK+R bought at Costco in California ($27+$3 tax for 15-pack):

RICOHJPNR01
Lite-on 811s (HSOE)
Burned at 4x, read at max.
PO Average 7.135
PI Average 0.020


#20

Heh, no problem, J_M. Just don’t buy all their stock… leave some for me. :wink: