TdK disks thermal

vbimport

I ordered a 100 pack of TDK printable Dvds for $ 28.00 on E-bay, my mistake, never bothered to look past the printable part, tried to print one, (the quality was great BTW), turns out they are only for thermal printers. I have never had a thermal printer, went on E-Bay and Amazon, and could not find one that printed to Dvd. Any help? Just pisses me off. T.I.A.

Yikes :eek:. This is the closest thing to a cheap thermal printer around. Most are designed for professional duplication use and much more expensive than inkjet printers. An inexpensive unit is really only fit for printing very simple text/graphic labels.

Have you managed to wash the ink off your hands after removing that disc from the tray? :slight_smile:

Thermal disc printers I think start around $400+ but these are priced in that range because they 1. deter pirates from trying to make authentic looking copies of pressed medium discs, 2. there really isn’t demand for printing discs by the ordinary consumer, when a $1 sharpie will do…
There have been disc printers in the $200 (INKJET BASED) range but these faded out fast… i think epson and cannon tried to make some that had a special slot for a disc-- but from what I remember quality wasn’t as good as a true thermal printer… the inks are also MORE EXPENSIVE too, maybe 3x-4x the price of the best pigmented inkjet stuff.

BTW, i still have a labeling kit which preprints a label and then is “PRESSED” on the top of a disc-- just a circular sticker, peel-n-press. It’s possible over time this could separate (hopefully not while spinning a several hundred rpms, doh!)

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2656622] there really isn’t demand for printing discs by the ordinary consumer, when a $1 sharpie will do…
There have been disc printers in the $200 (INKJET BASED) range but these faded out fast… i think epson and cannon tried to make some that had a special slot for a disc-- but from what I remember quality wasn’t as good as a true thermal printer… the inks are also MORE EXPENSIVE too, maybe 3x-4x the price of the best pigmented inkjet stuff.

[/QUOTE]

Oh my. You’ve apparently never dabbled in disc printing :).

We have a whole sub-forum dedicated to disc printing enthusiasts. Those disc printers never faded out. They have only gotten better and better. Epson and Canon make a number of models like the Epson Artisans that do a stunning job of labeling with inkjet printables. Photo quality stunning. Starting in the $100.00 range. Inkjet disc printers use dye ink, which is much cheaper than pigment ink.

Print quality can be quite as impressive as thermal, see here. :wink:

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2656622]There have been disc printers in the $200 (INKJET BASED) range but these faded out fast…[/QUOTE]
We’ve been using the $100 Epsons for years and years, making tens of thousands of printed discs (hundreds of thousand? perhaps) and, unless we bath with them, leave them on the car-dashboard or mistakenly substitute them as salsa chips for guacamole, we see no fading.

The Epson store will sometimes offer refurb’d Artisans for sub $100, and those are great deals.

HP came out with their Deskjet 5160 years ago, had 2 or 3 model ‘upgrades’ and those are still running fine, doing a similarly excellent job but, after 3 years, HP stopped producing direct-disk-printing models.

Printing 100k disks? You must be busy… [for home use?] :bigsmile:

Yep, Epson is the way to go when labelling CD/DVD/BRs. I still use my stylus photo R200 for labeling even though the writer is almost 6 yeras old. Great quality on printed images.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2656683]
The Epson store will sometimes offer refurb’d Artisans for sub $100, and those are great deals.

HP came out with their Deskjet 5160 years ago, had 2 or 3 model ‘upgrades’ and those are still running fine, doing a similarly excellent job but, after 3 years, HP stopped producing direct-disk-printing models.[/QUOTE]

I’m also a big fan of those Epsonstore refurbs :clap:. And their customer service is a pleasure. Got one defective refurb from them. They instantly shipped me another one with a preprinted return label included to ship the old one back.

HP ran into trouble with some of their disc print models that only had pigment black ink on some of the printable disc surfaces. They really seemed more determined to produce an office machine than try to cater to the much smaller disc print market.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2656658]Oh my. You’ve apparently never dabbled in disc printing :).

We have a whole sub-forum dedicated to disc printing enthusiasts. Those disc printers never faded out. They have only gotten better and better. Epson and Canon make a number of models like the Epson Artisans that do a stunning job of labeling with inkjet printables. Photo quality stunning. Starting in the $100.00 range. Inkjet disc printers use dye ink, which is much cheaper than pigment ink.

Print quality can be quite as impressive as thermal, see here. ;)[/QUOTE]
Agree 100% I have been using Epson refurbs for about 3 years, more recently I also have two Canons, the Canons are a little more difficult and slower with the Dvd’ s but are reliable and remanufactured ink friendly, I kind of like a professional look and they Sharpies don’t do it, the stick on lables are more trouble then they are worth, and can cause problems.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2656902]Agree 100% I have been using Epson refurbs for about 3 years, more recently I also have two Canons, the Canons are a little more difficult and slower with the Dvd’ s but are reliable and remanufactured ink friendly, I kind of like a professional look and they Sharpies don’t do it, the stick on lables are more trouble then they are worth, and can cause problems.[/QUOTE]

What have you decided to do with your pack of thermals? I suspect I would simply use them up with a sharpy for the occassional disc that doesn’t need a full color label before I’d invest hundreds of $ for a thermal printer.

Yes, am using them with a sharpie,and learned a valuable lesson, always know what you are buying, overlooked the “thermal” word of the ad, my mistake.