TDK discs no good after a few months! wtf?

vbimport

ok i bought some TDK dvd+r disks (TDK 003) in mid april they burned ok but with pretty bad quality scans but read ok at the time

they were all burnt with a pioneer 215 or sammy 203

but now pretty much all of the 60 odd i used are unreadable in any writer apart from a samsung sh-s223 which can read most of them quite easily although the oldest burns it cannot , the writers that cannot read the discs and in most cases fail to even recognise them are the pioneer 215 an optiarc 7200s also a 7170s and a lite-on SHM-165S6S

so a couple of questions

firstly why can the Samsung read most of them when the other struggle to even recognise them??

secondly what the hell has happened to the discs for them to degrade so quickly

for reference here’s a scan of a disc about 1 month old (burned with pioneer 215)

and here is a freshly burned 1 :eek: , burned with an optiarc 7200s

Yes, there’s a thread about this here, somewhere…

Well, here’s one thread about TDK 003: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/tdk-003-aging-examples-pi-pif-228848/

Here’s a thread about TTH02 degrading, and I believe a few people commented on TDK 003, as well: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/tth02-warning-degradation-205982/

And another TDK thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/tdk-discs-became-unreadable-after-year-225596/

It’s quite sad, actually, because some discs actually did initially burn well. :frowning:

But it doesn’t look like those were written too well to begin with, which probably makes the situation worse. :eek:

Why are you scanning at maximum on the Sammy? Try 4x.

Still a bad result though, I don’t like TDK003 very much.

Edit: Can you post Transfer Rate Tests of those discs, performed on your Optiarc?

Well, well, well… i knew i will not be the only one troubled by these “quality” TDK discs:P at least nowadays.

The Samsung is a better reader than the others. Optiarcs don’t have a chance recognize the bad TDK-s… Pioneers do, but not with every kind of TDK disc.
An LG dvd burner was the best for me to retrieve the data… but soon if you let them degrade further, even the LG can’t save them:(

What happend to the discs? -> They’re dying, because they’re crap…

I’m curious where your discs were made… mine in India, but the new TDK discs are made by FTI in UAE, and they are holding up really well after two months:)

Could you post the inner serial so we can see who made them ?

[QUOTE=Arachne;2120365]Why are you scanning at maximum on the Sammy? Try 4x.

Still a bad result though, I don’t like TDK003 very much.

Edit: Can you post Transfer Rate Tests of those discs, performed on your Optiarc?[/QUOTE]

scanning at 4x gave near identical results to max speed :stuck_out_tongue:

and trying the Transfer Rate Tests on the optiarc just gave an unrecovered read error

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2120521]Could you post the inner serial so we can see who made them ?[/QUOTE]

A1CH A08B G701091306 E63

[QUOTE=da_ging;2120564]A1CH A08B G701091306 E63[/QUOTE]
this medium was made by FTI :eek: I am seriously scared now :confused:
But as Albert said, even the initial scan looks terrible…

the first ones i burned after buying them didn’t look that bad i have to say although they were pretty damn rubbish by any standard , that fresh burn is the first one i’ve burned in over a month, it’s like they started degrading as soon as i opened the packet

[QUOTE=da_ging;2120564]scanning at 4x gave near identical results to max speed :stuck_out_tongue:

and trying the Transfer Rate Tests on the optiarc just gave an unrecovered read error[/QUOTE]

Haha, OK thanks (I don’t scan with my Sammies) :slight_smile:

The Optiarc result is worrying though. I’d back any disc up that fails a TRT or has massive dips in the read curve on the Optiarc.

I’d use Verbatim to re-burn the discs, if I were you :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2120582]Haha, OK thanks (I don’t scan with my Sammies) :slight_smile:

The Optiarc result is worrying though. I’d back any disc up that fails a TRT or has massive dips in the read curve on the Optiarc.

I’d use Verbatim to re-burn the discs, if I were you ;)[/QUOTE]

already redone them all, well all but 7 odd that even the samsung couldn’t read properly :sad:

redid them on some intenso 16x dvd-r’s ( infomediar30 )and i have to say they are quite good so far, certainly no degradation in the month i’ve been using them which is a good sign compared to the tdk’s :iagree:

Yeah, INFOMEDIAR30 is OK media, burns quite nicely. Don’t know much about long-term, though.

And if your Sammy (which is an excellent reader) couldn’t read some of those TDKs, then they’re definitely bad :eek:

That’s probably the first bad FTI scan I’m seeing without compatability problems being involved.
Is it me or are TDK’s standards dropping rapidly ?

The quality of most optical media are going bad, I smell a conspiracy to force people to use BD-R/E… :smiley:

Back on topic - things are certainly turning for the worst when Infomedia blanks are more reliable than TDK. Oh the horror. What will we do when we lose variety with our high-quality media… And I thought FTI-manufactured media were excellent… maybe some kinks in their system?

TDK now yields some truly horrible scans, I must say.

Sigh. I still haven’t seen any of the TDK 003 bashers comment on the MIT ones made by CMC.

[QUOTE=negritude;2120673]Sigh. I still haven’t seen any of the TDK 003 bashers comment on the MIT ones made by CMC.[/QUOTE]

I’ve had good experience with MIT ±RWs, none with ±Rs though. 4x and a different MID and continent are a far cry from 16x MIUAE :stuck_out_tongue:

But from the links provided - all I can say is they’ve gotten really :Z media. I wouldn’t wish scans like that for my enemies. :wink:

[quote=pepst;2120572]
But as Albert said, even the initial scan looks terrible…[/quote]

Not necessarily, here’s a scan made almost two months ago about an FTI made TDK DVD+R disc right after burn, and it’s quite good. I scanned it today, still the same:p (The two elevations in the PIE/PIF were caused by a long scratch, wich was on the dvd surface before i burned it:()
And i think that the FTI made TDK DVD-R (TTH02) discs are still among the best, great scans, no degrading yet.

The CMC made MIT TDK DVD+Rs i have are CMC MAG M01, not TDK 003, and i think i’ts a great media, still good scans after a year. I too have no experience with the MIT TDK003s, maybe they aren’t so bad as the MII and MIUAE ones:)

Maybe after all he just got a bad batch of media, that sometimes happens even with TY or MKM media.
I have nothing but a great personal experiences with FTI media (both + & -R), some of them are about 7 months old and have not detoriated at all.