TDK CD-R XS-iV 74 for audio in comparison, which has the higher quality?

Hi
I’m interested in
the technical and quality data of the XS-iV 74 version.
What do you know about this TDK XS-iV Audio CD?
How is the quality to be assessed,
especially in comparison to the RXG variant?
Thanks in advance for your information!
oldburny

Different ATIP and country of manufacturing? The CD-RXG should feature the old TDK dark cyanine formulation, which is one of the best CD-Rs ever made in my opinion.

No is identical - dark cyanine.
PS. The XS-iV CD74 was a special edition to the TDK Computer Speakers to promote the XS-iV series.
(ca. Oktober 2001)
This required very high-quality Audio CD-R blanks.
I think only the CD label was refreshed
and something more popiger designed.

Well, they’re not exactly identical either, notice the total capacity is a little different and the stamper ring looks different (may just be overprinted with the label though). So it’s a newer revision of the original 97m32s00f disc spec which came at a time when most TDK CD-R production had switched to the newer light cyanine variant or re-branded P-Cyanine discs made by budget Taiwanese manufacturers.

I would prefer the older CD-RXG version in this case, although I think that these are both excellent quality CD-Rs.

Interesting note, according to CDMediaWorld they also had an “XS-iV” variant manufactured by SKC, so there is no guarantee of getting a particular ATIP with this branding:

tdk_skc

Yes this CDMediaWorld Info i know.
And here’s an info from my first test burn the TDK CD-R XS-iV 74

TDK used to make 74min discs that are 74:15 min (652MB) until 1997, then they changed that to 74:59 (659MB) sometimes in 1998 or 1999, 97m32s00f discs of the same model and made in the same factory should be the same quality whether they be 652MB or 659MB.

Note: The CD length code was used for disc type identification. It can be thought of as a secondary ATIP code. Manufacturers generally changed the length code to indicate a different revision of a CD-R/RW disc model to the drive.

For example, Taiyo Yuden used the same 97m24s01f ATIP code on CD-R of various speeds from 8x (or slower) right up to 52x speed. But with each revision the length code was changed slightly to allow drives to differentiate between different speed ratings.

It was impractical to change the ATIP code for each new version of the disc as there are a limited number of possible legal ATIP code variations for each manufacturer. And keeping the same ATIP code should ensure backwards compatibility with older, slower drives. Later, high-speed writers can use the length code to identify older, slower-rated discs and limit the writing speed. Earlier, slower drives won’t recognise the length codes for the newer, higher-speed disc revisions (their firmware pre-dating the introduction of these discs). But as they recognise the ATIP code, they should write the disc quite happily anyway.

@Ibex
Thanks.
Have you already burned the mentioned TDK blanks?