TDK at Office Max

just read some on Staples site reviews of the H-P media…sound awful…

Theirs no HP media in my house if that tells you anything
you said you use Ritek all the time i didn’t feel a review was needed

The bottom line is Memorex - TDK - Maxell - Fuji all rebrand any media they can get and this is what makes most people steer clear of them and just buy Verbs - or TY online …this way you know what your getting.

Others like me however giveaway 100’s of DVD’s and frankly I just need them to work. I look for the best media at the cheapest price for these giveaways. My keepers are all on Verbs and Sonys

Also next time you shopping for a burner look for one that does bitsetting and you’ll learn to love +r media as well

Yo-

Well said-eh!! :iagree:

(or Taiyo Yuden 8x from www.rima.com )

[QUOTE=clsA;2234810]

The bottom line is Memorex - TDK - Maxell - Fuji all rebrand any media they can get and this is what makes most people steer clear of them and just buy Verbs - or TY online …this way you know what your getting.

My keepers are all on Verbs and Sonys

Also next time you shopping for a burner look for one that does bitsetting and you’ll learn to love +r media as well[/QUOTE]

Verbs online vs. retailer on sale? It happens the box that I am emptying is Verbatims that I got somewhere local on sale.

Awhile back I researched the difference between the plus and minus disks and read about the minus being legal and licensed, the plus’s weren’t or something to the affect. More importantly, the first time I stuck a + disk in my DVD player and it didn’t play, that ended the discussion around here.

Why would I want to record +R’s if my player rejects them, and the deck I was using at the time was the top of the line Toshiba dual drive player. It was about $600 wholesale so I am not talking about a cheapy DVD player. Anyway, if it wouldn’t play them, I wasn’t going to buy them.

I tried to do some research on bitsetting and didn’t get far. I have added my current collection of drives into my signature. I am guessing there might be a bit setter in the bunch :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all your time and kindness!

Lew

The H-P labeled media at Staples or “Big Lots” is MIT, CMC magnetics

I.E. “feces”

Thanks for the confirmation… After reading the reviews on the site I didn’t even consider it further.

[QUOTE=vividere;2234864]Verbs online vs. retailer on sale? It happens the box that I am emptying is Verbatims that I got somewhere local on sale.

Awhile back I researched the difference between the plus and minus disks and read about the minus being legal and licensed, the plus’s weren’t or something to the affect. More importantly, the first time I stuck a + disk in my DVD player and it didn’t play, that ended the discussion around here.

Why would I want to record +R’s if my player rejects them, and the deck I was using at the time was the top of the line Toshiba dual drive player. It was about $600 wholesale so I am not talking about a cheapy DVD player. Anyway, if it wouldn’t play them, I wasn’t going to buy them.

I tried to do some research on bitsetting and didn’t get far. I have added my current collection of drives into my signature. I am guessing there might be a bit setter in the bunch :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all your time and kindness!

Lew[/QUOTE]

Lew,

I, along with many other people, use +r media. I have a lite-on drive which supports bit setting. After writing the dvd shows it being a dvd-rom. Just like a store bought pre recorded dvd. If your Toshiba is supposed to play +r media and it does not I would say you have a defective unit.

[QUOTE=rogman49;2236373]Lew,

I, along with many other people, use +r media. I have a lite-on drive which supports bit setting. After writing the dvd shows it being a dvd-rom. Just like a store bought pre recorded dvd. If your Toshiba is supposed to play +r media and it does not I would say you have a defective unit.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know that the DVD player should be able to read +R as I don’t have the manual in front of me and it is in a pile somewhere. The fact that it couldn’t read a +R but could read -R was enough reason for me. I retired that player as I got some Toshiba HD players that I mainly use now.

I appreciate the explanation about being able to make the disk appear to be a DVD-ROM but I don’t know what the value is of that?

Based on the DVD drive poll I saw on here, it seems the best Lite-On drive is 5th in the rating. So it seems you are giving up up reading or writing quality to gain an ability of unknown value to me? I happen to have that drive, the DH20A4P. I think that drive can have the bitset thing.

I want drives that can read and write best and if there are other features or capabilities I am missing out on, I would love to know. I would love to know more about the value of burning a DVD-ROM vs. other formats and will do some research on that.

Thanks,

Lew

Hi Lew,

A dvd-rom dvd might have a slight advantage when using a stand alone dvd player. Some players seem to have trouble reading dvd-r or dvd+r at times. Can’t explain why. As far as lite-on being 5th in the rating. Makes no difference to me. I have a pioneer 115d drive in addition to a $20 lite-on. The Pioneer is rated excellent by most people, but mine has trouble reading dvd-r rw. Lite-on reads anything I try.

[QUOTE=rogman49;2236979]Hi Lew,

A dvd-rom dvd might have a slight advantage when using a stand alone dvd player. Some players seem to have trouble reading dvd-r or dvd+r at times. Can’t explain why. As far as lite-on being 5th in the rating. Makes no difference to me. I have a pioneer 115d drive in addition to a $20 lite-on. The Pioneer is rated excellent by most people, but mine has trouble reading dvd-r rw. Lite-on reads anything I try.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying the bit setting trick with the Lite-ON drive that makes the disk appear to be a DVD-ROM makes it such that it isn’t seen as a DVD+R? It appears to the player like an commercially bought DVD-ROM?

Thanks

[QUOTE=vividere;2237055]Are you saying the bit setting trick with the Lite-ON drive that makes the disk appear to be a DVD-ROM makes it such that it isn’t seen as a DVD+R? It appears to the player like an commercially bought DVD-ROM?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Yes that is correct. I don’t think it is a big advantage with newer players. I just use it because the option is available. I have a program that displays disc info and it will say DVD-ROM instead of DVD-R or DVD+R.