TDK at Office Max

Hiya…noticed I was almost out of DVD-R and I have a bunch of disks to burn for my models. I checked the ads for the closest stores, Best Buy and Office Max. Best Buy had Memorex but the ratings on their site for it were low. On the Office Max site they have TDK 100 packs but I haven’t bought TDK DVD-R media. Is it any good and is there a chance of getting different manufacturers such as Ty, and if so, what do I look for?

Thanks?:confused:

Made in India is - MBI 01RG40
Made in Taiwan - CMC MAG. AM3 - RITEKF1 and you could get lucky and get some DAXON016S

If you can see the disc look for the older style print on the disc (they have lines around the TDK text) the new ones don’t have any lines.

The Taiwan disk are all better than the MII ones I think.

Hiya… You said look for the older style of print, but didn’t say if that was what I wanted or not? Likewise, which disks are the older ones and which ones are the newer ones?

I happened to find a message string where a guy found some TDK media in Luxembourg or packaged there, and the media was FTI/UAE and was told it was good. Is it possible I might find that media as well?

Thanks,

Lew

I just noticed the guy was from Greece and was getting TDK Media from Luxembourg so that probably isn’t what is available here, but that isn’t to say if they contracted to get FTI media for Europe, they could possibly get the same media here?

I would hate to buy a 100 coasters…

thanks

Not to thoroughly confuse the issue, but Staples which is also fairly close has H-P media. I haven’t bought their media since tape. Thoughts?

Lew

Just buy Memorex, you’ll be fine

I don’t know about here, but go to the Best Buy site and read what the people had to say there…it only had a 2.5 out of 5 rating?

Purchase +R Verbatim from OM and BB when they are on sale please forget about everything else mentioned in this thread :wink:

I have had compatibility problems with +R and so I no longer use it. I have never had a -R disk fail to be read and several times with +R. To each their own on that.

I have some TY disks on order, but it is my policy to back up everything twice, once with a TY, second time with a better quality bargain disk. I use Ritek for my library, basically a third copy on a third media but it isn’t a complete set of media as on the other two copies.

The last time I bought something at BB it was Verbatim.

Thanks!

Are you for real? Memorex rebadges some of the cheapest and horrific media out there.

The OM TDK +R media would be DAXONAZ3 if it’s made in MIM, I believe. It is much better than Memorex.

[QUOTE=KTL;2234379]Are you for real? Memorex rebadges some of the cheapest and horrific media out there.

The OM TDK +R media would be DAXONAZ3 if it’s made in MIM, I believe. It is much better than Memorex.[/QUOTE]

The DAXONAZ3 are +R
Memorex CMC MAG. AM3 -R are fine for everyday use and burn better for me than the RitekF1

The old style print gives you a better chance of getting Daxon and/or CMC which are better than the Ritek

Kmart has Sony -R and +R for $10… 50 pack

That is the second reference in this message string to “old style” print but I still don’t know what it is or how to look for it. Most of you are on here much more and know all the terms and references, but if I did, I wouldn’t be here asking these questions. Can someone explain the old print thing in a way a rookie can understand.

As far as Ritek goes, I thought they were only second to TY?? I have been using Ritek media since I have been burning DVD’s and have always had good luck with them.

I just went back and looked at the poll and was a bit surprised…

TY 319
Verbatim 184
Sony 179
TDK 164
Fuji 156
Philips 153
Ricoh 116

Does this really tell us anything other than a lot of people like TY. It seems that when you buy the other brands, at least a lot of them, it is a mixed bag. You don’t know what you are getting and might get some junk disks or some good disks.

Doesn’t the dye and manufacturer matter more than the brand on the disk? You mention DAXON and CMC but they aren’t in the list so that doesn’t help a guy walking in a store that doesn’t know what you guys know.

Thanks for mentioning the K-Mart deal on the slower Sony DVD-R media… Unfortunately my closest K-Mart closed years ago. I have to drive past the Best Buy/Target/Office Max/Wal-Mart and then drive twice the distance to get to a K-Mart. If I am going to have to drive an extra 20 Miles to get to a K-Mart, it almost make sense to pay full price for an equal media at the closer stores. I know you used to be able to tell TY media by the slope/taper at the bottom of the cakebox. Is that still true?

I mentioned earlier that for diversity sake, I like to use TY for one burn and another brand for another burn. Spreading the risk so to speak. I already ordered some TY disks mail order as I am not as short of them as I am on the others.

The TDK being on sale at Office Max would be my best choice it seems if I knew what I was getting. clsA who replied first to this threat gave me some good information, but it seems I won’t know what I am getting until I have it at home. opened, and stuck with what I get, and it seems it is a crap shoot what I might get?

As far as Ritek goes, I thought they were only second to TY?? I have been using Ritek media since I have been burning DVD’s and have always had good luck with them.

I think you’d be hard-pressed to find someone to agree with that ;).
Possible you have a burner that actually likes Riteks, but you’re very likely to be best-off sticking with finding some verb -R’s on sale if you need to get them from a local shop. Helps take the mystery out of it.

I have used several burners over time and never had a problem with Ritek. BTW, I don’t know if it matters, but I am using the white ones as I create a lot of original DVD’s onto which I print a label.

It is hard to get a deal at local stores on any printable media. I haven’t specifically looked for it, but I don’t ever remember seeing printable media on sale at the local store or if they even have it.

This project doesn’t require printable media, I just want the cheapest DVD-R I can rely on. But for when I need printable media, if there is a better choice at a reasonable cost, please let me know.

I started using the Ritek disks quite awhile ago and at least at that time, they were the best for that purpose based on my research.

I see the place I buy it from has the Valueline TY printable media for just a bit more. But I have heard good and bad things about the TY value media?

Thanks,

Lew

It is hard to get a deal at local stores on any printable media. I haven’t specifically looked for it, but I don’t ever remember seeing printable media on sale at the local store or if they even have it.

Yeah. What’s up with that:confused:. Keep waiting for locals to start stocking them, never seems to happen. Oh well, cheaper to order online anyway.

I see the place I buy it from has the Valueline TY printable media for just a bit more. But I have heard good and bad things about the TY value media?

Here’s a link to the best -R printables I’ve ever used.http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-white-inkjet-printable---p-18322.aspx An opinion shared by many of my friends. Quality/price can’t be beat for reliability/compatibility in my humble opinion:).

Those printable TY disks are a buck cheaper at Supermediastore, at least right now. How much better is the premium vs. the valueline of TY media?

Those are $.34 each, the Valueline is $.29/ea and the Ritek I have been buying are $.25.

I guess if I knew how to interpret those disk tests I would know more, but then I don’t know if all those three media have been tested.

Still wish I knew if the TDK on sale at Office Max were “good ones” or not vs. driving another 20 miles to go to K-Mart?

Thanks everyone!

Lew

you should re-read my post
the old style TDK have lines on the disc above and below the TDK lettering
like this

the new style do not have these lines

the old style Made in Taiwan are more likely to be CMC Mag or Daxon (these are the best)

The new Style Made in Taiwan are likely to be RitekF1

The Made in India are for sure MBI 01RG40 (ok but not the best)

to find the “Made in *****” …it’s on the packaging near the barcode

OK…I did re-read your post, in fact I think I read it several times, but it wasn’t clear until now what you meant by the lines…Frankly, my best guess as to what you mean was a hollow font character, i.e. a font made from an outline font. If I had looked at a disk without the lines, I wouldn’t have known what I was missing, and if I saw the one with the lines, I couldn’t have been sure those were the lines you were talking about. Thanks for taking the time to show the image…now there isn’t any question as to what you were trying to describe.

You didn’t “rate” the RitekF1 versions? It sounded like you only liked the “old style” disks. Does old style disk also mean no longer made? Or are they making both and so you are as likely to see the old lines style as you are the new no lines style?

Sounds like if they aren’t old style TDK, I should skip the TDK, skip the Memorex next door at BB, and drive another 20 miles to K-Mart? No one commented on the H-P media at Staples?? I haven’t been able to find out anything about it.

Thanks again!

Lew