TDK announces SDG4A MLC SSD drives with own GBDriver RS4 SSD controller

vbimport

I just posted the article TDK announces SDG4A MLC SSD drives with own GBDriver RS4 SSD controller.

TDK has issued a press release announcing a new series of SSDs that will using TDK’s own SSD controller chip.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/tdk-announces-sdg4a-mlc-ssd-drives-with-own-gbdriver-rs4-ssd-controller-67067/](http://www.myce.com/news/tdk-announces-sdg4a-mlc-ssd-drives-with-own-gbdriver-rs4-ssd-controller-67067/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Can only assume that these drives will be bargain basement drives.
They’re 1/2 the speed of other typical ssds, and I’m being generous.

“Includes SATAII” - sounds more like they opened up a few dusty boxes - “Say, what’s in here?” and found a whole bunch of SSD-boards with SATAII works on them. “Hey - we paid 8-cents per million for those - might as well use 'em!”

It really sounds like TDK is sweeping out the corners (“What’s left?”) but maybe they’ll jump back into Sales of Storage Media.

Has anyone bought VHS tapes lately? Who’s selling those still?

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2687023]“Includes SATAII” - sounds more like they opened up a few dusty boxes - “Say, what’s in here?” and found a whole bunch of SSD-boards with SATAII works on them. “Hey - we paid 8-cents per million for those - might as well use 'em!”

It really sounds like TDK is sweeping out the corners (“What’s left?”) but maybe they’ll jump back into Sales of Storage Media.

Has anyone bought VHS tapes lately? Who’s selling those still?[/QUOTE]

The last VHS recorded tapes were shipped in 2008 apparently.
I haven’t bought any lately, I think my last purchase was when the Matrix was released. I do have a few blank VHS tapes still shrink wrapped in a storage cabinet. I think they’re BASF brand.
BASF, Maxell and TDK made billions from those blank tapes in the 80’s and 90’s. All 3 also had a presence in the blank optical media industry.
With the death of tapes and continuing decline of optical media, it remains to be seen if each company has diversified successfully enough not to go the same way as Kodak.

Tapes of all kinds are pretty amazing. The layering and manufacturing, the development of stress-and-stretch tests. Pretty incredible. Then the design of the cassette. Pretty amazing stuff, with all the mechanical tolerances of Read & Write distance requirements.

I checked and we still have some VHS tapes in our closet, still shrink-wrapped, too. Two 3-packs, two for $5.