TDK and NEC

okay, i was reading on one of the links in herrie’s modding guide that the TDK 880 dvd rw is a rebranded NEC, is there more details about this anywhere else? Because I’m from the states, and not from europe, so to flash a new firmware upgrade from the europe link onto my american TDK would probably be a bad idea. PLUS it’s an 880N RW. I dunno if that N makes any difference, but i’m afraid to eff up my new drive. Anyway, in a nutshell, is it possible for me to get a firmware upgrade where i’m able to use my TDK 880N to DL write?

OKay, second question. IF i CANNOT, upgrade my TDK, or if it’s way TOO COMPLICATED to do, is it just more feasible to buy an NEC 2500a or 2510a?

OKAY, now this leads to my 3rd Question, I DO want to buy an NEC DVD writer, but not really really soon, as of right now i want to try to make my TDK DL. So, is it a better idea to buy a 2500a and flash firmware to that HP Recommended upgrade, or is the 2510a have better firmware already in it than the 2500a HP upgrade?

Thanx very very much, I’m so new to NEC drives and i’m very excited about the NEC DL capabilities.

Sorry if i write way too much, but i don’t think i’d be able to explain myself the way i want to without all of the included details.

Thanx again,
Addison

The TDK is definetely rebranding NEC since ND-1000 came on the marked.

I have a proof for you here. Your device is an OEM ND-2500A. You cab see that your self on the label of the drive in the field where FCC ID is written.

It is no any reason that your device should not work with a NEC or HP firmware. I suggest you to try HP, just because it allows bitsetting for DVD+ media. One other thing - Do a backup of your original FW before flashing a new one into it. UseTDB’s flashing tool.

New FW for your device should be any one used for ND-2500A. There is many people who already did a succesful flash on 2500 with a FW for 2510. So, if you like the DL idea, you can try my FW’s (2510A221 or 221_Orig - see the readme files for more info). There is also the tool you need for backup.

Herrie’s FW is the most advanced until now with added and trimmed media support.

I’ve TDK 880N and it’s really NEC 2500A. I’ve flashed it with NEC firmware and it’s 100% working. Other people from this forum have flashed TDK firmware into NEC drive and also everything works. This shows for 100% that both drives are REALLY IDENTICAL.

No problem here - in drive firmwares thre is nothing like for example PAL and NTSC in video cameras. Nothing is pecific to US, Europe or Asia. So you can upgrade your drive using any firmware designed for this drive. And character N means probably that it’s NEC drive.

Yes - use FW from Herrie mentioned on this forum.

2510A. But once again you already have 2500A drive. :slight_smile: Right now upgrade procedure requires to create DOS bootable disk and run small utility from it. If this is too complicated to you wait a few days and Herrie will prepare nice Windows installers so do it right now or wait a little bit more.

[QUOTE=Addijhaq]OKAY, now this leads to my 3rd Question, I DO want to buy an NEC DVD writer, but not really really soon, as of right now i want to try to make my TDK DL. So, is it a better idea to buy a 2500a and flash firmware to that HP Recommended upgrade, or is the 2510a have better firmware already in it than the 2500a HP upgrade?[quote]

Anyway if you want to have DL burning buy drive which officially supports it. This way you don’t need anything else to burn DL media. And price difference is really so small that it’s illogical to buy 2500A now.

But once again - you have right now NEC 2500A and this drive is capable to burn DL media with good firmware. So first install needed firmware, try to use it and thern decide what to do. :slight_smile:

Good luck

okay, so i downloaded herrie’s fw, now wut?

Do i put it on a floppy?

And where can i get a fw backup tool?

thanx

Read my previous post again.