TDK 8x DVD+-R media: Any of those = TY?

I’m talking about jewel-cased TDK 8x DVD+R in Europe, they have no COO on the packaging. They are very attractive for poor CD Freaks like me, as the prices for the 8x TDKs have started to drop significantly, as shops consider it outdated. :wink: It just recently became out of stock at some shops.

There are several flavors (two long bars hold the front card, two short bars hold the front card, two dots hold the front card, thread for opening, no thread for opening…) of this TDK media on the market.

I’ve bought some of these for testing, and I found TDK Luxembourg-made TDK002 and Moser Baer MBIPG101 R04 among others. But I haven’t run into any TYG02 or YUDEN000 T02 yet, as Francksoy did.
Does anybody know a fool-proof way to tell TY from MBI, TDK MIL, CMC…?

Even if it’s not possible or very difficult to do that, it’s not a big deal anyway.
The 8x TDKs are so ridiculously cheap that, even if the “worst case” happens, it’s not too bad (there is no really worst case, TDK was still good in those days, and even their 8x MBI and CMC are at least good quality).

Thanks in advance!

The jewel-cased TDK 8x -R I had, I can’t remember the MID of (they were given to me), and my drives at the time (Litey LDW-851S and LG4163B) absolutely hated them. I had 4 discs, and 3 of them were coasters - not as in they wouldn’t read back, I mean failed burns.

Don’t think there was a COO on them.

However, that’s OT and probably doesn’t help :wink:

There is indeed a chance getting TY. I have a couple of TDK DVD-R in Jewelcase, that are TYG02. Batch code GG000103. They were sold in a 5 pack.

Michael

Were those 5 packs in shrinkwrap with the pink round “5 PACK” sticker on it?
Or was it a cardboard box?
Did they show recycling signs on the packaging?
Did the packaging have threads?

As the TDKs are affordable (€ 3 per 5 pack) I think even if it’s MBI or CMC it would not be a loss. I would just use them as everyday discs then :iagree:
It seems that the TYG02 quality is not overwhelming though. :frowning:

Hi,

:iagree: but I don’t remember if there was a pink round sticker.

Or was it a cardboard box?
:disagree:

Did they show recycling signs on the packaging?
Did the packaging have threads?
I don’t remember any more.

As the TDKs are affordable (€ 3 per 5 pack)
Nice Price :clap: I paid 5€.
It seems that the TYG02 quality is not overwhelming though. :frowning:
That’s why I posted the scan. Seems as if TDK buys the crappy batches from TY :frowning:

Michael

A tad off topic but i dont know if TDK buys bad batches i think its just that batch of discs, heres a scan of a GG000103 aswell but Verb Pastel(only the green disc had this number)

I wouldn’t consider this as a nice price. You simply can’t buy DVD media in Germany, because for any SL disc you have to pay a 0.17€ GEMA fee. This GEMA fee is subject to 16% VAT. Thus you pay an additional 0.20€ per disc for this mafia. On the other hand, in Luxemburg I pay only 0.30€ for one MCC004 disc and only 0.20€ for OPTODISCOR8 discs, which compete very well with the likes of Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim as far as scan quality is concerned. To fight extortion by GEMA nobody should buy media in Germany. I do so for a long time.

[Off-topic]

The funny(?) thing is that this doesn’t apply when you’re in another country and buy from Germany, because then you don’t have to pay the GEMA fee!

There’s an even higher blank media levy in Denmark (approx. €0.40 + 25% VAT per DVD) but when I buy from Germany I get the media without paying any levy at all - I just pay VAT. And this is perfectly legal as long as you are a private person and not a company importing those blank discs.

The situation is quite ridiculous IMO! :doh:

Maybe. But these shops can’t beat the price, I pay for Verbatim Pastell CD-R in my local Pro Markt :bigsmile:

That’s interesting to know. I thought that this is a typical Luxemburg niche. For instance, Luxemburg has a lower tobacco tax and a lower gasoline tax such that people come over from Belgium, France, Germany etc. for shopping. Event the VAT is somewhat lower.

There’s an even higher blank media levy in Denmark (approx. €0.40 + 25% VAT per DVD) but when I buy from Germany I get the media without paying any levy at all - I just pay VAT. And this is perfectly legal as long as you are a private person and not a company importing those blank discs.

The situation is quite ridiculous IMO! :doh:

I agree that this is truely ridiculous, but nice for shipping companies. The conclusion is: Don’t buy DVD media in your home country!

For CD-R the copyright fees are lower. Officially there is a GEMA fee of 0.096€ + VAT per disc, but then there is a huge deduction, because CD-R is also frequently used for storing of non-copyright data. Also these Luxemburg dealers are not very competitive. www.xmediatrade.com and www.tomdax.com seem to be the best, but there margins are nevertheless too high. For a DVD writer the GEMA charge is 9.21 + VAT. Nevertheless I would pay more for a DVD writer at www.xmediatrade.com than at my local store in Hannover. Also MKM001 media are more expensive in Luxemburg than at Amazone.de. Because of a lack of competition these Luxemburg dealers are used to very high profit margins such that only SL DVD media are significantly cheaper.

Back on topic :wink: , I have some TDK 4X in jewel cases which may be an indication (same type of European labeling as 8X). We’ll need more input to be able to find a pattern :slight_smile: .

DVD-R 4X TYG01 MIJ have two bars (2cm) and silver-grey recycling symbols printed on the back
DVD+R 4X RICOHJPN R01 MIT have two bars (2cm) and black recycling symbols printed on the bottom
DVD+R 4X TDK001 MIL? have two dots and a black recycling symbol sticker on the front (does this match with your TDK002, [B]Evilboy[/B]?)

Yes - not two round dots, but two 2 mm bars, oriented in the perpendicular to the side.
The Moser Baer MBIPG101 R04 and Moser Baer-made TTH01 have been all recycle-iconless and threadless, in an extra 5-pack shrinkwrap with a pink round “5 PACK” sticker on it.

Odd that the TYG01 have two long bars parallel to the side. Both the Verbatim Music CD-R (MIJ) which I’ve seen in a shop sometime ago and the TDK 24x CD-R (MIJ) don’t agree, they have two 2 mm bars, however on a small round mountain.

There’s only one flavor which I haven’t checked out:
TDK 8x DVD+R, with two long bars parallel to the side, and a pixelated print with the black and white arrows and “PP” on the back, and a thread. It’s in cardboard packs of 10, which are perforated at the front. I guess this is another variant of MBI packaging, but nevertheless, at this price (this second shop only asks € 0.50 for one of those) I can’t do anything wrong.

sorry, that’s not very clear to me.
are pictures possible ?

Best I can do is some scans - these are with the film-wrap to show recycling symbols. I tried to indicate the distinguishing features in red. First off is TYG01:

Ricohjpn R01:

Tdk001:

Oddly I have seen a packaging like this with current red-top PHILIPS 041 (CMC-made) TDK 4x DVD+RW.
Hmm, the TY have a thread. Never have seen any of those.
Anyway, I will buy some more of the now-detected-as-MBIs for everyday use. [B]Franck[/B] and [B]Arachne[/B] seem to like the TDK MBIs so they should be okay.

Ricohjpn W11:

Cressida,

great idea using a scanner :slight_smile: :bow:

EDIT: This is the same guy as on your TY :slight_smile:

TYG02:

Yes, but it’s still going to be hard to filter out the TY’s… and even then, chances of finding these will be slim (mind you, I did find those TYG01 recently at MM/Herzogenrath, but they were expensive at €1,39/pc. :frowning: ). Recycling logo’s on the film may be the best indication, but I’m sure you don’t have the wrapping any more. Will be looking at some 8X when I next get a chance (and fumbling open some cardboard boxes maybe) :wink: .

P.S. Would have been easier if they’d put a Japanese guy on there :bigsmile: .