TDK 800 MB media

Vendor_info : 'PIONEER ’
Identifikation : 'DVD-RW DVR-103 ’
Revision : ‘2.00’
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
cdrecord: This version of cdrecord does not include DVD-R/DVD-RW support code.
cdrecord: If you need DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for cdrecord-ProDVD.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R
ATIP info from disk:
Indicated writing power: 5
Is not unrestricted
Is not erasable
Disk sub type: Medium Type B, low Beta category (B-) (4)
ATIP start of lead in: -12520 (97:15/05)
ATIP start of lead out: 409473 (91:01/48)
Disk type: Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 26
Manufacturer: TDK Corporation

LiteOn 52x (6S0C) reports the same thing, while LiteOn 48x (VS0B) reports 11:01/48.

=> With the correct firmware, you can write 800 MB to this disc without using overburning!

Can you post some CD Doctor tests?

whatever i read & understood, does it mean TDK is shipping DVD Media as 800 MB CD-R Media ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

or am i wrong somewhere ?

Vendor_info : 'PIONEER ’
Identifikation : 'DVD-RW DVR-103 ’
Revision : ‘2.00’
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

Is that what you’re confused by Shawn? That info is for the drive, I think, not the media.

Is that what you’re confused by Shawn? That info is for the drive, I think, not the media.
Correct. When inserting a DVD-R(W), the other parts of the result look totally different.

The disc is written at 32x, read at 8x (the drive doesn’t read @52x till the end of an 800 MB disc at all):

C1 Max = 11
C1 avg = 0.7

I’ve done a C2 scan in the Toshiba 1502 (which doesn’t recognise 800 MB discs of low quality at all), and it reports not one single C2 error!

thanks for the reply Farad & alexnoe.

I am surely an idiot :bigsmile:

maybe you can burn 800 MB on a CD-R without overburning because you are using a DVD-R drive (as it has capacity to burn 4.7 GB on a DVD-R)

No.

“Overburning” means burning more on a disc than the capacity which the drive is reading from the ATIP.

If the drive reads “800 MB” in the ATIP, what the Pioneer drive and the LiteOn 52x do, then you can burn 800 MB without overburning.
The LiteOn 48x reads a lower capacity, meaning that overburning is required.

OK.

is there any specific advantage of burning 800 MB without “overburning” ???

i have had no problems “overburning” 800 MB on a 90-min CD.

The Pioneer DVR-A03 for example does not support overburning, and neither does it support RAW-DAO…and these discs cause less confusion for people who don’t read the FAQs :wink:

Oh,OK. Thanks for the info.