TDK 52/24/52 basic audio cd burning problems... not cool

I just got a TDK 52/24/48, and something is seriously wrong. I used Nero 5.5 to burn an audio disc, and the whole thing came out so staticy and skippy it was ridiculous. I thought it was just a batch of bad CDs, it was just some no name brand I got with something for free. Well just for the sake of testing, I tried burning the audio CD in my DVD-RW drive. It burned perfectly. What the hell?

EDIT: If it matters, the brand is “Hotan”. I’d never buy them, I just got them for free. I don’t have any other types of CD-R’s around to test it. Normally I wouldn’t be concerned, but the fact that they work in the DVD-RW means something is wrong with the TDK.

Convert your drive into a LiteOn :slight_smile:

?

the fact that they work in the DVD-RW means something is wrong with the TDK.

No, it doesn’t.
how fast were you burning, and what was the source?
Have you tried at a lower speed

Or buy better media if you don’t have any :stuck_out_tongue:

Burned at 8x, I know a bit about different speed and the responding quality, and remember that 8x is the cutoff before the different method of burning kicks in which results in lowered quality when played through a traditional CD player.

I’m going to get better media tonight. I hope it works.

I picked up some TDK 48x CD-R’s and they burn fine.

I tried another one of the bad brand at 32x, and it burned fine too. I burned another at 8x, bad. Another at 32x, fine. Since when do you get better quality at higher speeds?? I’m completely lost now. And worried.

Since when do you get better quality at higher speeds??

Since you bought a high-speed drive and high-speed media.
Use low speed media for low speed burns…
Here’s a related thread.

Whats the best speed to burn at then? Like for making backup copies of my expensive Sega Saturn games in case anything happens. I always thought 8x was good for making games work in the Saturn good. What should I be burning at?

The TDK CD’s certified at 48x do work fine at 8x, but I haven’t used WSES to check errors.

LiteOn does not care about low speeds. If low-speed burns succeed => pure chance…we get better quality at higher speeds since LiteOn decided to go this way and ignore the myths about some strange players only reading low-speed written discs.

If you use proper media, 52x will not give lower quality than 24x or the such. Just the media is important.

Whats the best speed to burn at then?

I use 40x on 48x media (TY, Verbatim DLP, Prodisc and yes, even CMC), error rates are very low with the 52x drive. 48x works too, I’m just playing it safe.