TDK 48x media - Lite-On 52/24/52 says I can write at 52x?

I have a TDK 52/24/48 with the Lite-On 52/24/52 firmware (6S07). I have SMART-BURN enabled. It is working, as I’ve put in older media and it limits the speed to 32x.

I put in TDK 48x certified media, but Nero is telling me I can burn at 52x. Is it safe to do that, or should I do 48x just to be safe?

Did you backup your old firmware? If you did, please share it! If NERO says that it can be burned at a certain speed, then the drive will try, but it may not work well and nothing is gauranteed. Give it a try… it will be different for every type of disk.

Have a look at the 48x media tests, several of them have been tested at 52x. You won’t gain anything by going to 52x, and you may produce a coaster.
The TDK that I have are CMC-made, and although they perfromed well in my tests, I don’t trust CMC to produce 2 consecutive spindles of decent media.
Suggest you do the tests yourself, sacrifice a few discs, and keep testing everything you burn. Or, just slow your burn speed to 40x and be happy.

I did back up the firmware, I’m more than happy to send it to anyone who wants it. :slight_smile:

As for the media: So it’s unsafe to burn it at 48x even though that’s what it’s certified at? Not like it’s a big deal, but just curious. What about 52x certified media, is it good to only burn that at 40x as well?

there isn’t anything to make it unsafe, you just run a very small chance of the disc having errors. I would try one at 52 and then test it in nero CDspeed. please post the findings if they have not yet been posted as well. I will be happy to host any images that you need.

Please send me the firmware. see my signature for my email address

Burning onto a disc faster than it is certified for usually works, but if having as few errors as possible is your major demand then burning faster is not burning better. I usually burn as fast as NERO lets me since a few errors really don’t bother me and I usually don’t get any errors.

Firmware is sent. : )

TDK Gold’s in Australia don’t specify a speed because in most cases they will fit the max speed of ur burner
mine is a 48x and does it gladly (data only, audio tends to have audio problems)