Tayio Yuden or Verbatim for Sony / NEC Optiarc AD-7240 S-ATA DVD-writer?

vbimport

I’ve just ran out of both CD’s and DVD’s, which makes it time for buying some new ones!

I was just wondering whether there is any worth for me going premium style and pay a premium price for Taiyo Yuden disc’s compared to Verbatim disc’s which I get really cheap at work?

I know that Taiyo Yuden was known for being THE BEST a few years back, and I guess they still are? But have the development of disc’s come to a point where there is barley any noticeable differences between the different brands anymore? Combined with the latest DVD-writers, is there really a point paying a premium for Taiyo Yuden these days?

Here in Norway I can get:

Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8x Dual Layer Print HUB 10pk for about 57$ compared to Verbatim 8x DVD+R Double Layer 8,5GBÂ Wide Printable 25-pack Cake Box for about 33$.

Taiyo Yuden PRO DVD+R 16x Print Hvit FULLFACE 100pk for about 64$ compared to Verbatim 16x DVD+R disc 4,7GB Wide Print (Advanced AZO) 50-pack Cake Box for about 13$.

Taiyo Yuden PRO DVD-R 16x Print Sølv HUB 100pk for about 64$ compared to Verbatim 16x DVD-R disc 4,7GB Wide Print (Advanced AZO) 50-pack Cake Box for about 13$.

Taiyo Yuden CD-R 700 MB Printbar/FULL White 100pk for about 50$ compared to Verbatim 52x CD-R 80min 700MB Print, (SuperAZO) 50-pack Cake Box for about 10$.

In other words, Taiyo Yuden is quite a bit more expensive… So would it be worth it? Is there perhaps some other brand to consider?

For DVD, I’m rather fond of the Verbatim 16x +Rs (MCC004) - the ones I use are either the Made in India, or made in Taiwan ones, but I’ve heard great stuff about the Made in UAE stuff also.*

For CD-R I’d definitely opt for the Taiyo Yuden ones, no question. :slight_smile:

EDIT: * Make sure these say “AZO” somewhere on the packaging (and not the new “Life” series, as these won’t be MCC MIDs) :wink:

Listen to what the kitty says! :iagree: