Tax return from last year

OK, my son never filed a tax return last year, I am sure I said he should but I swear everyone was saying he shouldn’t for some reason I can’t remember.

He will be getting a “few 100” back this year (not final yet) and wondering if he can possibly file anything from last year??

He was 16 years old last year if that matters.

Thanks for any and all advice.

I believe you can amend it but i have no idea how to do it. Are you using a professional?

Nope we usually just use something like Turbo Tax for ourselves and I’m not sure how my wife is handling his return.

If he made a real small amount i don’t believe you have to file. Under like $7000. But you might want to call IRS and ask.

It is possible to file amended tax returns.
Currently working for a client who has filed his 2005 US tax return under the assumption his full income was taxable in the US. It now turns out (after he hired us) that part of his income was subject to Dutch tax, so he now wants to claim back US taxes. We are in the process of preparing the amended tax return so he can claim back taxes.

Looking at the above, I see no reason why this should not be possible for your son. Please note, however, I am a Dutch tax expert, not an US tax expert, so I could be wrong on this one.

The picture below is the current chart (from 1040 instructions) that shows who needs to file. I’m sure that last years is either very similar or the same. Also remember to look into your states tax guidelines for that year.

I don’t know how to file taxes from a previous year, but searching the IRS website might help.

You might want to look at this article: Back Taxes: Filing Late Tax Returns

If his tax withholding is “a few 100s” then he should amended it! Use form 1040X, I think. Also maybe you guys are better of filing jointly – but not sure. Btw, wife and I amended our jointly state and federal from 2003, 2004, 2005 and we’re getting a few xxx extra. More than enough for some blanks media. :bigsmile:

Call H&R Block. Ask them but let them think that they will be doing his taxes. Most of them are very helpful and will give you the right answers. If you call the IRS good luck. I tried them one time. Called and asked the same question 3 times and got 3 different answers. H&R Block explained it so I could understand it. No I don’t use H&R Block they want to much money.

depends i think on if your claiming him as a dependant…:wink: