Tape backups just became more attractive: now faster and with double capacity

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Tape backups just became more attractive: now faster and with double capacity[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/09/6a0168e71ada4c970c017743db7e88970d-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

The organisation that standardizes the specifications of tape storage have announced they have doubled capacity and improved transfer faster.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/tape-backups-just-became-more-attractive-now-faster-and-with-double-capacity-77324/](http://www.myce.com/news/tape-backups-just-became-more-attractive-now-faster-and-with-double-capacity-77324/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

750MB/sec sounds nice, but the question would be: to or from what?

[QUOTE=CDan;2760353]750MB/sec sounds nice, but the question would be: to or from what?[/QUOTE]
Looks like it might fit in my 8-track . :wink:

Just tell me where they store it and I bring my trust heavy duty magnet to help sort the tapes out… :disagree:

@coolcolors: I’d hate to be them in such a situation. At at least my data is safe… on my non-SSD hard drive. :iagree:

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2760584]@coolcolors: I’d hate to be them in such a situation. At at least my data is safe… on my non-SSD hard drive. :iagree:[/QUOTE]
lol being realistic TAPE will deteriorate worse over time as opposed to SSD or HDD

That’s because tape storage is cheap and reliable.

I have not found that to be true, it is not cheap and reliable is only when it works.
Tape does break and unless you can take it apart and put it back together it goes to the garbage.

Our Tape back-ups are usually only kept for 2 weeks before they are written over.

[QUOTE=bean55;2760638]I have not found that to be true, it is not cheap and reliable is only when it works.
Tape does break and unless you can take it apart and put it back together it goes to the garbage.

Our Tape back-ups are usually only kept for 2 weeks before they are written over.[/QUOTE]
My same line of thought as well. How or whomever came up with that lost their track on reality.

Used them back in the day when drives and OS weren’t so huge. The one time I needed to reload everything the tapes wouldn’t read everything. They also were pretty slow but once I got a reliable setup they would work and do incremental updates as new things were added.
I think a lot of times it was more the program used then the tape setup itself that had issues.
If the setup truly is fast and media is cheap might be worth a shot. I’d rather use my large externals to hold videos and programs then have it picked down with backups, but I capture a lot of hd video shows I like to watch later.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2760678]Used them back in the day when drives and OS weren’t so huge. The one time I needed to reload everything the tapes wouldn’t read everything. They also were pretty slow but once I got a reliable setup they would work and do incremental updates as new things were added.
I think a lot of times it was more the program used then the tape setup itself that had issues.[/QUOTE]No it was both the physical tape itself and the hardware and then the software…so it was a three leg stool if one broke everything went out the window.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2760678]If the setup truly is fast and media is cheap might be worth a shot.[/QUOTE]
That isn’t going to happen with the advent of SSD going over 10tb…tape is a Dinosaur…on it’s last mythical extinction legs.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2760678]I’d rather use my large externals to hold videos and programs then have it picked down with backups, but I capture a lot of hd video shows I like to watch later.[/QUOTE]
With the coming of SSD in 10tb HDD will eventually have to move over to SSD storage as well. But HDD will last far longer then tape for storage and reliability to retrieving data.