Taking too long to write an image?

vbimport

O.k. I just got my first CD burner and upgraded my computer to USB 2.0.5 so as to be able to burn CD’s super fast. The burning part is pretty quick 120 seconds to around 300 seconds on average to burn 680-700MB’s burning 3-4 large AVI files.

The issue I have is that it takes anywhere from 8-20 minutes for the hard Drive to write the Image first. what can I do to make the Image writing portion go quicker. Oh while the Image is being written I leave the PC alone, as in I try not to task the CPU with other things. Also I use Task Manager to shut down anything not needed to burn the CD’s.

So far I have burned 5 CD’s and all 5 work fine, No coasters yet - woohoo =)

Tech stuff:

P4 1.8
256 MB RAM
USB 2.0.5
TDK Velocd CD-R/RW 52x24x48x
IBM 60GB 7200RPM HD (with 5-6 GB free space)
Using WIndows XP OS
Using WIndows XP drag and drop to file CD writing

I did not install any CD ripping, mixing, burning utilities because all I want to do is have the ability to quickly move stored data from my HD to a CD-R or a CD-RW

Any advice?

The data has to be readed from the disc, which takes time. Maybe the disc has scratches so reading is harder and will take longer.
Then the data has to be written on your HD. Depending on how fast & full your HD is the writing to HD process will take longer shorter.

An option is to make a copy On-The-Fly. This means no image will be made cause the data will come from your reader (another CD/DVD-rom player) straight into the writer. If you’re TDK supports underbufferrun protection, then you can do this without any problem. If the CD/DVD-rom doesn’t give the data fast enough, then your writer will just wait a few secs and will continue when the buffer is full.

sorry just had to comment …tdk does have underbufferrun protection… I have it here but unplugged

and wookie …god love your avatar …

Originally posted by Wookie
The data has to be readed from the disc, which takes time. Maybe the disc has scratches so reading is harder and will take longer.
Then the data has to be written on your HD. Depending on how fast & full your HD is the writing to HD process will take longer shorter.

I am not copying discs. I am writing 170MB AVI Anime files from my hard drive to my CD Burner. I was using NO Disc Burning Software and was dragging and dropping using WIndows XP.

I installed Nero Express and so far it seems faster.

One other problem could be that my hard drive is Horrifically Fragmented, so much so that Defrag won’t even work properly.

I am hoping to move all 56 GB of Anime off of my HD on to discs and then try to run Defrag while I have 50+ GB free on my HD.

So any opinions on using Nero Express versus using Windows XP explorer to do burn discs? Nero does not seem to create an image while Windows XP does…

I am such a newbie =P