Taiyo Yudens

vbimport

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and just read the faqs and the pinned topics but couldnt find any info on what I was looking for, so I posted a new thread.

I was reading the thread on fake Taiyo Yudens, but I really dont know much about DVDR media in general, so that’s why I joined this forum.

I would like to know what exactly are Taiyo Yudens.

I am thinking that they might be the best quality DVDR media but when they get here to the U.S., manufacturers will put their own labels on them. Also, like I read in that thread, it seems there are plenty of fake ones of these.

Please let me know if I am partially or fully correct here, or totally wrong.

Thanks for all your anticipated comments and responses.

Partially correct I think. Your safest bet would be to order the Taiyo Yudens from Rima.com or Accaproducts.com as these will be the real deal and will be listed as Taiyo Yudens. :slight_smile: Some folks grab deals at Best Buy and similiar stores from Verbatim, Fuji, Maxell, etc… that have a “Made in Japan” sticker on them and they are real Taiyo Yuden media as well - I guess they’d be more of an “oem” version of the media. hehe

Taiyo Yuden is a Japanese company that manufactures optical disks, among other things. They sell their disks under various brands, and you can find them listed in bulk as Taiyo Yudens.

They produce very good quality dvd’s, which have been very consistent for me in the two dvdr burners I have used. I also use their cdr’s.

You can buy them online from reputable sources, such as rima.com or newegg.com, or you can pick them up at your local Best Buy under the Fuji brand. Make sure the container says Made in Japan on the side.

Edit: Beaten to the punch with the same info!

Well, I appreciate the quick replies folks, but they failed to address some important info which I was seeking.

I will therefore be a little more clear with what I am looking for.

I understand that people like these “Taiyo Yuden” media, but I am just wondering why everyone I have spoken with… before I joined this forum, meaning before today, have said that you only want to go with name brand blank media. These include but are not limited to Sony, Memorex, Fuji, etc.

What is so great about “Taiyo Yuden” other than the users here have had no problems with them? I have not even heard of them until today. Are they in fact mass manufactured in Japan and then given a bunch of different names labeled on them, possibly including the brands I listed above… or just Fuji and some other off-name brands?

I have some “Great Quality” GQ DVD+R 8x and I burned one so far and it looks ok. I havent run it through DVD Identifier yet, but I suppose I can and find out what it actually is.

I know this is a lot of information I am seeking, but I cant find any answers in faqs here… and I figure there are a lot of intelligent people who have used their hardware and software enough to understand what I am looking for.

I appreciate all the help.

Cheers!!!

Please understand that Taiyo Yuden is a manufacturer of optical media. Companies such as TDK, Memorex, Verbatim, Samsung, Fuji, etc., often buy DVD media from manufacturers like Taiyo Yuden, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, Ritek, CMC Magnetics, etc. They merely put their logo on the media and sell it in their company’s packaging. For example, you could buy several spindles of Samsung 4x DVD+R media and actually get BeAll, Taiyo Yuden, Optodisc, or other manufacturers’ discs, none of them actually made by Samsung.

I buy Taiyo Yuden blanks from ACCA Recording Products… this way I always know what I’m going to get.

As mentioned above, most people are clueless about who really produces the media. They get good results in stores with particular brand name media and automatically assume it is the best. The people here are more technically oriented (hence the site name) and so they actually delve into who really produces the media for the name brand discs. Virtually all name brands outsource to manufacturers (ie Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, ect.) and then slap thier own label on the discs. The problem is that by going this route you do take a bit of a gamble with what you are getting from batch to batch. You can narrow it down a bit by where the media is produced by the only 100% sure way to get the same media manufacturer from batch to batch is to buy the media manufactuerers’ own label. Anyways, as far as the fakes go, watch out for the ultra-cheap discs (ie Sonic, Matrix DVD-R) that claim to have the Taiyo Yuden media ID code. As long as you are purchasing Taiyo Yuden’s own brand or store media that says “Made in Japan” then you can pretty much always gaurantee that you will get Taiyo Yuden. Like the post above, I prefer to order Taiyo Yuden discs themselves so there is no guesswork involved (not to mention wasted gas)

I have to agree with Jesterrace and Tropic on this. I wanted TY media on this last batch of media I bought (tired of problems with poor quality media - even including Ritek’s in this…) so I went to Meritline and bought 100 Taiyo Yuden’s 8x DVD+R with the Silver Thermal Lacquer on them. I hate Shiny Silver surfaces and think that was the only reason for not ordering from Rima or ACCA Products on the TY’s.

-mm- It’s kind of like going to Sears or if you’re old enough to remember Montgomery Ward, the Sears Kenmore washer you buy may be made by MayTag or GE, or someone else. It is the same with media. I have found that the brand name medias like Plextor, Thats, Sony, Tdk have better quality TYs than Fuji and some of the rest that buy from TY. I bought 200 discs (2-100packs, 1pack 4X and 1 pack 8X) of Tdk the other day, the 4X stuff was made by Ricoh (very good 4X brand that burns at 8X with no problems) and the 8X was labled Made in Japan and was TY’s T02 and will burn at 8X, 12X or 16X on my nec 3500 or Benq 1620. The Q-1 check for media with the Benq showed that 16X thru 2.4X was ok with this media. I checked some Fuji TY T02’s that I have and the Q-1 showed that 16X was not recomended with this media.
Try to stay away from Memorex brand media. Some times you get pretty good stuff (such as Ricohlpnr01-02) and some times you get some crap media.
Hmmm it looks like I wrote a lot and said nothing, but maybe this will help you.
Good luck with your burning.

Best Buy has Sony 8X DVD-R on sale this week. If you grab a package that says made in japan on the back you will get SONY08D1 discs. The rumor is that Taiyo Yuden produces these discs for Sony who puts their own code on it. At any rate it is excellent media.

I just ordered the same thing - 100 of these:
http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-plus-r-silver-thermal.html

can’t wait to try them out in my new NEC-3500
according to cdrlabs, they should burn at 16x

Thank you for making me feel old :sad: My first charge card was a Montgomery Ward card.

:wink:

TY is a top Japanese optical media manufacturer, whose main forte is very consistent quality. Unlike with RiTeks, CMCs and other lower grade media, you are guaranteed superior quality regardless of the brand it is sold under.

The bulk of TY media is sold via OEM channels and that is the kind e-tailers carry: unbranded media in spindles.
TY has also its own brand, “That’s …” (That’s DVD-R and That’s DVD+R) that is sold in East Asian markets only.

As you peruse the forums you will inevitably run into reports of problems even with TY media; but compared to other manufacturers’ such reports are a lot fewer.

Just got THESE from rima today. Is this good? Thanks.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [TYG02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x , 6x , 8x]
[6x And Higher Might Not Always Be Detectable]

** WARNING : Some Drives Do Not Return The Entire ‘Media Code’-Block
When Dealing with Discs That Are Rated 6x And Higher.
** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Media Code’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘Media Code’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 0Eh - Pre-Recorded Information In Lead-In
0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 87 0d 10 66 78 80 00 .@…R…fx…
0010 : 03 54 59 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .TYG02…
0020 : 05 aa a2 22 22 20 02 00 06 08 0e 11 87 78 80 00 …"" …x…
0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 06 13 0d 10 0e 07 00 …
0040 : 09 97 07 0d 0b 78 88 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 …x…
0050 : 0b 06 18 17 85 78 75 00 0c d6 89 a8 92 01 20 00 …xu… .
0060 : 0d 10 00 d0 00 00 00 00 0e 09 21 35 2d 29 1b 00 …!5-)…
0070 : 0f 50 1b 2b 1d 97 b5 00 10 88 84 00 04 00 04 00 .P.+…
0080 : 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 12 09 2d 35 2d 2b 1a 00 …-5-+…
0090 : 13 50 1d 2b 1f 97 b5 00 14 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 .P.+…
00a0 : 15 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
00b0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
00c0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
00d0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
00e0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
00f0 : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Thank you all for the detailed explanations. I really appreciate this and will stay here if I have any more questions and try to get some of my friends to join, who have been burning and think just the name memorex, sony, tdk itself alone is good to get, but I suppose not. So I will look into the Taiyo Yuden brand.

I have a couple more questions if anyone can answer. One question is this:

I see a RW on some of the media out there, but not all of it… and sometimes it is on the side of the package, but not on the actual discs. Are all DVDR media rewritable or ?? I am confused with this aspect.

My last question is in regards to a spindle I bought. It is labelled as HP. It says made in Taiwan, but I dont know if the packaging itself is made in Taiwan or the actual discs are… so I dunno. I did get a good deal on them. they are dvd+r 8x, but like everyone said before… stay with Tys. So, if I use DVD Identifier, I suppose I can get the exact info about these discs.

Thanks all for your help.

If those HP discs are Purple and White labeled they should be CMC Magnetics of some variety and most likely will burn fine on the burners/firmware of today. CMC Magnetics media is still variable at best but certainly not as bad as what it used to be in my opinion at least.

Yep, those are the real deal. That is where I get mine from. @-mm- the RW that you see means one of two things. 1. If it says +RW or -RW then it simply means it is re-writable media. 2. If you see it on DVD+R then it is simply the mark of the DVD Alliance, which are the backers of the + format (notice the + and the - as they are two different formats).

The “RW” logo is actually the logo used for DVD “+” (plus) media, so it can be either DVD+R or DVD+RW (as opposed to DVD-R and DVD-RW media).

IMHO this logo is VERY unhelpful, because to most people it would imply that the media is rewritable, but this is ususally not the case.