Taiyo Yuden

I need to purchase a pack of 100 dvd-r disks for burning dvd images of a few of my backed up dvd’s. The dvd’s will be burnt by an external dvd writer by freecom. Could someone let me know if these following disks are fake or not and whether they’d offer good compatibility with my writer. Any other recommendtions would be great, looking for dvd-r 100pk cheap as possible good quality and compatibility, price including delivery to uk. Thanks!!!

Taiyo Yuden Silver 8x Duplication Grade DVD-R (100 Pack)
TYG-02

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?nav=1&product=DATASAF095&title=Taiyo+Yuden+Silver+8x+Duplication+Grade+DVD-R+%28100+Pack%29

While I’m not certain they’re bad, the fact that they’re from one of enets brands (Datasafe) would make me nervous anyway. My guess is that they’re either fake, Yudens lower grade value line, or else they’ve figured out some other way to ensure they’re bad.

Sure, they might be good, but it would come as a surprise.

The should be genuine TY’s. A quick check of the serial numbers would confirm this.

As Aramchek stated, these are very likely to be a ‘Value Line’ variant. I have used these before and some batches have been good, but some not so good, with discs with a lot of dust on, or minor scuffs on the outer edge.

At the price, it might be worth a punt, but if you want quality, you need the non datasafe variant: http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?product=TAIYO~Y013&title=Taiyo+Yuden+dvd+-r+16x+Unbranded+Silver

I’ve also had a batch of the Maxell ones, and they were good

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?product=MAXELL054&title=DVD+-R+16x+275644+MAXELL+SILVER+TOP+100+Cello

Reality checks are usually worthwile…

Why would Bigpockets sell this lot of discs at a fraction of the cost of other Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R media?

1. Because these discs are problematic in some way?

2. Because they got them ultra cheap and they transfer most of the savings to you, while having no idea about the quality of the discs?

3. Because they are such nice people?

Which answers are more likely?!

I would assume these discs to be inferior in some way, so if you want good Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R, I’d look elsewhere - other Taiyo Yuden from Bigpockets or Taiyo Yuden from SVP or other shops.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I expect that they are the same as the Datasafe T02/TYG02 I get from SVP (and I am thinking that I should not be saying this, and expect that is why I am always the only one doing so) but they have been very good, I have burned 1000’s of them, and yes there have been problems with dust, but at about the same rate as I see on the so called premium lines that cost three times as much.

I expect the the answer is…
2. Because they got them ultra cheap and they transfer most of the savings to you.

Have you read the 22 reviews ?
One says that they are TYG03, so not as good as the SVP 8x versions, but I expect that is why they are a few quid less, face it, and most seems to miss this point, what else can you get for the same cost ?

[QUOTE=Lenny_Nero;2223217]
Have you read the 22 reviews ?
One says that they are TYG03, so not as good as the SVP 8x versions, but I expect that is why they are a few quid less, face it, and most seems to miss this point, what else can you get for the same cost ?[/QUOTE]

The TYG03 statement leads me to believe those disc’s are the value line of TY’s because in the value line you might
get TYG02’s or TYG03’s or a mix of both. I had a friend that bought some of the value line TY’s and he received 65
TYG02’s and 35 TYG03’s in the same stack and lets just say he was not impressed at all with the quality of them. :disagree:
I have to admit that I bought some of the value line TY’s before but never again I learned my lesson the hard way :doh:
and I only buy the premium line now when I buy TY disc’s. :iagree: